BruceEW

What did I buy, & what is it for?

You bought 2 pairs of sole presses. There are usually more pieces. You would place the other pieces in the shoe and screw the handle down and it applies pressure to the sole while the cement sets. The second picture is a riveter. And the final item is an American 3-in-1. It's used to cut and skive leather.

@BruceEW Please post the photos here.  If the photos on imgur are moved, deleted, permissions changed, etc., then this post becomes useless.  As you work your way through older posts here, you will find many broken links.  We would like to keep these posts/threads intact for the future.

Tom

The day will come when imgur will close down or begin charging to host images..tinypix is closing their service in September 2019..Many other image hosting services are gone, which is why many threads here are missing images, always post images here..Tom posted while I was typing :) Here is the image  that was posted to imgur.

What did I buy2.jpg

You took them on an iphone..( the original image data size was 1.9 megs, ) to make them smaller, email them to yourself.
HTH :)

Edited by mikesc

25 minutes ago, BruceEW said:

Will do. Just have to figure out how to make the pictures meet the 1.46 mb limit first.

See this post.  Good stuff in the rest of the thread too. 

Tom

The picture #2 is a snap and rivet press. Made in Turkey. If you'd screw it to a piece of 2x4 it would be a portable press :) All you need is dies which can ring you a hefty bill being $40-80 a set.

I missed #2 at imgur..

3 hours ago, mikesc said:

I missed #2 at imgur..

I haven’t measured it yet, but I’d guess it has about a 3/8” socket. 

F5C5DB3A-9DDE-480F-A950-890CA0F9D652.jpeg

Edited by BruceEW

The press takes standard die sets for punching holes and setting snaps, rivets, and eyelets. This is a much better design than the cam/lever press you see on ebay and aliexpress. Those are designed for foot operation while this is the truly hand operated press. This one costs $60-70 new.

Edited by DrmCa

On 8/20/2019 at 5:59 PM, Sturme said:

you might be able to modify a pair of lasts to make the show presses functional, just a thought

Would there be a benefit to using these instead of just hammering down contact cement?  

Also, what exactly is the American 340 useful for?

12 hours ago, BruceEW said:

Would there be a benefit to using these instead of just hammering down contact cement?  

Also, what exactly is the American 340 useful for?

in affect you would be creating a press, so you could clamp the shoes down under pressure for hours till the glue completely dries and sets.

27 minutes ago, BruceEW said:

Anybody got any thing to say about the American 340?

It's a 3-in-1. The side blade is used to cut and trim materials and the top is used to skive.

On 8/27/2019 at 8:43 AM, arashikage said:

It's a 3-in-1. The side blade is used to cut and trim materials and the top is used to skive.

Now to find the time to clean it up and see what it will do. Thanks all.