Frodo

dye question

I am looking at a can of Early American  Minwax wood stain  [oil based]

and wondering if it can be used on leather. I did a small practice swatch and the color is just fine

Is it OK to use wood stain on leather? 

I mean,,years ago I do not think the elders had bottles of Fiebing sitting on the shelf

Interesting question!  Following....

The only drawback I can think of is the wood stain might contain chemicals that are irritating to human skin, and most leather items do touch our skin at some point.

59 minutes ago, Frodo said:

I am looking at a can of Early American  Minwax wood stain  [oil based]

and wondering if it can be used on leather. I did a small practice swatch and the color is just fine

Is it OK to use wood stain on leather? 

Yes, but be aware that the dye will severely dry out the leather and cause it to shrink. Maybe treat with NFO first, then the dye

59 minutes ago, Frodo said:

I mean,,years ago I do not think the elders had bottles of Fiebing sitting on the shelf

No, but then they didn't have wood dyes either. Leather dye was made of natural things and could be bought commercially as far back as the mid 1700s

33 minutes ago, Sheilajeanne said:

Interesting question!  Following....

The only drawback I can think of is the wood stain might contain chemicals that are irritating to human skin, and most leather items do touch our skin at some point.

Once dry the wood stain is better than wood paints in that respect. Unless you chew on the wood you'll not get anything out of dried wood stain. These days oil and spirit wood dyes are used all round us ~ to recolour woods to look like other types, to just colour furniture legs and frames, et cetera

12 minutes ago, fredk said:

Yes, but be aware that the dye will severely dry out the leather and cause it to shrink. Maybe treat with NFO first, then the dye

excuse my ignorant's.  what does NFO stand for?

11 minutes ago, Frodo said:

excuse my ignorant's.  what does NFO stand for?

sorry, NFO = Neatsfoot Oil. Should be NO really, but NFO is better. Neat or Neet is Old English [pre-Shakespeare] for cattle. Its made from the oils in the hooves and lower legs of cattle

On this forum we recommend using PURE Neatsfoot Oil and not COMPOUND  as the Compound contains petroleum products to which some people and animals will have an adverse reaction

There was a thread somewhere on this forum where an individual used wood stain on his leather successfully.  Not sure the long term outcome.  But anyhow, you wouldn't be the first to use it.

YinTx

I think if this stays here long enough, . . . someone will chime in with "You can also use coffee to stain leather, . . . don't ask me how I know".

May God bless,

Dwight

32 minutes ago, Dwight said:

I think if this stays here long enough, . . . someone will chime in with "You can also use coffee to stain leather, . . . don't ask me how I know".

May God bless,

Dwight

tobacco juice has a nice brown hue

I used spirit-based wood stain before and use it in some projects now. It works pretty well. The only thing - unlike spirit dyes for the leather, which I mainly use now, stain (at least the one that is available to me) does not contain additives to protect against UV. Therefore, some of my old projects are slightly "tanned".

3 hours ago, Dwight said:

May God bless,

Dwight

Tea as well, does a nice colour

Edited by fredk

Around 40 years ago, I dyed a white cotton T-shirt, using Black Tea, and called it my Tea-Shirt. 

It was a private joke. Still is.

nick

Edited by wizard of tragacanth

I am a member of a FB group called Callahan's Crosstime Saloon. Spider Robinson fans will understand

When someone makes a really bad joke like that, we throw peanuts at 'em...

:P