My brother asked me to make him a couple dice cups. Never doing any cylinder work I used some 5oz scrap to test out on. A few things will do differently in final projects. The worst looking part is the stitching on the bottom of the cup. Using Al Stohlman’s “Art of hand sewing” the side of the cup was marked with a wheel and bottom left unmarked. A fair amount of the stitching went wonky on me. The book says the stitching will be closer together on the bottom than the side because of the smaller diameter. I’m thinking about trying to mark the bottom and see how that works.

314929FB-075B-4E1F-BEF4-7545415F3A09.jpeg

Edited by Mattsbagger

It looks grand for all that.

Sewing a circular base into a tube ain't that easy or straight forward

I think it looks great!  Stitching the bottom like that is not easy.  I've tried it one time as a practice piece and it did not look nearly as good as yours does.Good job!

Looks good, like Bob said that stitching is a challenge and looks great.

Todd

Yeah man, I agree with the others, it looks good and ain't easy to get it to look good.

Its tricky. There is a way to calculate the needed spacing. But in the end you'll still have fewer stitches on the bottom than the side. This means you'll need to double up on a few hols on the bottom by stitching through them twice. Its hard to explain without a graphic. 

All said though, you did a fine job