kevinkay

Not quite a saddle, but you do sit on it!

I need advise on reconditioning the leather chair slings.

The leather is about 1/8" thick,  its a little stiff (storage too long) and scratched.  Its dyed (colored) on both sides.  Its held in place with leather lacing that has broken (a whole other issue).  My goal is to try an remove the scratches, maybe re-color, soften the leather a bit (so I can pull it tighter with new lacing) and then polish to make it look like new.  :)   

My instinct it to sand the scratches out  or do I need to fill them??  If both sides are colored how to add oil to soften?  

I have 10 projects of different disciplines going at all times  -   I am a "jackass of all and master of none".......  

THANKS!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.png

you might google removing scratches from leather boots or shoes I found a lot of good info that way.

Sanding is just making more scratch marks on the surface, so I would stay away from that idea. Depending on how deep the scratches are, maybe a re-dye will cover most of them.

Maybe a de-glaze will help to reduce the dye that is already on the surface, so a re-dye will work better plus prepare the surface for refinishing and/or oiling.

Disclaimer: No real idea, just spit-balling here.

Those scratches are  patina and seen as valuable by some 

On 11/13/2019 at 11:01 PM, kevinkay said:

I need advise on reconditioning the leather chair slings.

The leather is about 1/8" thick,  its a little stiff (storage too long) and scratched.  Its dyed (colored) on both sides.  Its held in place with leather lacing that has broken (a whole other issue).  My goal is to try an remove the scratches, maybe re-color, soften the leather a bit (so I can pull it tighter with new lacing) and then polish to make it look like new.  :)   

My instinct it to sand the scratches out  or do I need to fill them??  If both sides are colored how to add oil to soften?  

There is available an acrylic vinyl paste designed for this sort of job. Its used by car restorers mostly. It is usually a set  of about 6 or 7 base colours which you mix to match your leather then apply with a spatula to the scratch area. The kit also includes some imprinted sheets with different grain patterns on which you press into the applied paste before it hardens. The kit costs from $3  to $25 depending where you buy it from

example on ebay; 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sofa-Car-Seat-Leather-Hole-Burns-No-Heat-Liquid-Vinyl-Fix-Rips-Repair-Tool-Kit-o-/352706937011?hash=item521ef8c0b3

Note; apply after re-dyeing as you cannot dye this repair paste

Turn it over so the seat is laying down if you cannot remove the pieces.  Take a small bristle brush (1 inch from Harbor Freight for 69 cents or so is a good one), . . . dip it in a jar of neatsfoot oil, . . . NOT neatsfoot oil compound, . . . brush on a light coating to the flesh side of the leather, . . . go find something else to do for 36 hours or so, . . . 

Come back and see if it has become a bit more pliable.  One more coat should do it if the first does not.

Just about any good shoe polish should fill in those scratches, . . . not liquid, . . . paste wax in a flat round can, . . . and if you put a bit of elbow grease into the project, . . . it should look good as new for less than $15.

At least that is how I would do it.

May God bless,

Dwight

Never done this myself but I agree with Rockoboy. I would not sand it at all, that would really mess it up.

Start with de-glazing and re-dying. Re-dye using Fiebing's Pro dye. Buff it well and I think that most of your scratches will seem to disappear.

I would not try to soften the leather at all. These are not sling seats. The firmness is for support as it would be for a wooden chair but just in a leather surface.

For a finish, I would use an Automotive Leather Seat Conditioner. Unlike neatsfoot oil, that stuff is made to sit on and is not as likely to ruin your clothing.

nick

THANK YOU all for information and suggestions.

I will not sand them.  I am first working on the chrome - 0000 steel wool and metal polish.  

Removing the leather I see it is showing some tiny cracks where it gets rolled over and its stretched in some spots (where the weight of the thigh would rest).   They are Knoll chairs and replacement slings are available  

Going to give it my best shot on restoration.

THANKS!!

KEvin