Treesner

hardest surface for hole punching into?

Hey guy I'm cutting holes in webbing with a punch but wood end grain is to soft as the webbing sort of pushes into the wood and doesn't cut fully. I tried a plastic cutting board and that does better but still not a clean hole, I usually have to burn the rest out. Is there a hard surface I could use without damaging my edge? I'm using WUTA punches 

Edited by Treesner

How big of holes, alot of the time holes in webbing are melted rather than punched,

I used to make a spacing strap our of nylon webbing and brass grommets. I would chuck a standard punch into my drill press. Set to a medium speed and use it to bore through the webbing.  The punch generated enough heat to melt as it cut and I had perfectly cut holes.
I used both wood and plastic cutting boards as backers.

2 hours ago, Treesner said:

Hey guy I'm cutting holes in webbing with a punch but wood end grain is to soft as the webbing sort of pushes into the wood and doesn't cut fully. I tried a plastic cutting board and that does better but still not a clean hole, I usually have to burn the rest out. Is there a hard surface I could use without damaging my edge? I'm using WUTA punches 

Try delrin or acetal as a block. I use both these as pressure bearers when stamping using my bench press. They are harder than HDPE or nylon plastics, but soft enough not to damage a hole punch edge

Toms right. I just use a battery hand drill with a hole punch down on to a plastic kitchen cutting board. Same thing works well for sharpening the punch onto a fine sanding belt as well. Try going through something like this without a drill and punch.

DSC08157_resize.JPG

The traditional base for hole punching into is a very thick sheet of lead or a lead block. When it's worn, you melt it again

I had one, but it was stolen. Now I use a thick magazine as a base for punches and stitching chisels and replace it when it gets worn

Of course, the punches should be very sharp

Edited by zuludog

I use a block of lead- works well

tbh, no matter how sharp the punch or hard the surface I never get a fully clean cut hole. There are always fuzzy hairs which need burnt away

4 minutes ago, fredk said:

tbh, no matter how sharp the punch or hard the surface I never get a fully clean cut hole. There are always fuzzy hairs which need burnt away

Try the drill press or hand  drill route

A piece of brass plate will work also you will notice the multiple size hand punches have a brass  stop attached..

I started using this harder HDPE plastic which gave me really clean holes in webbing but it must have been a little to hard because it shattered my WUTA 7.0 punch!  (or it was just a weak cutter, not sure) 

this is the material I used https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ILLNZC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

663221896_ScreenShot2020-05-01at9_33_51AM.thumb.png.135bd0f539a06ab1ec1bc3818d77bb58.png

Edited by Treesner