dikman

CB4500 foot clearance problem

I just found this video by @Uwe that I referred to earlier in this post -  Thanks again Uwe.

9 hours ago, RockyAussie said:

It would be helpful I think if we could get a couple of other peoples pictures as well to help establish if there are any differences in the set up.

FWIW Ferdco Pro 2000:

From the outside.                                                                                                From the inside

20191215_110819.thumb.jpg.6e063d1fc10b5db9ae895207697d15f1.jpg20191215_110905.thumb.jpg.01f06b82e7d9c82fe875e294b9555219.jpg

I could see how having the loop hanging on the post on the other side of the bracket might cause binding, as that would make sense. What doesn't make sense is that it only binds when using the foot pedal, not when manipulating it with your hand. So I have to ask, do you have enough slack taken out of the foot pedal chain to allow the full travel of the foot pedal and thereby the full travel of the presser foot assembly? I know when I set mine up, I had to take up more slack on the chain to get the full travel on the presser foot lifter assembly. Have you tried shortening the chain by several links and see if that helps the situation?

20191215_115345.thumb.jpg.502815b3801093971aad5b6380b96d7e.jpg

Edited by RemingtonSteel

Interesting idea about the opening wedge Brian, something to keep in mind.

RS, I didn't have an issue with binding when using the hand lifter because the travel is less than with the chain lifter. It only became a problem past the range of the hand lifter.

I should mention that historically whenever I buy something if there's a faulty unit in a batch I always seem to get it!! It's called Murphy's Law, and I sometimes wonder if my middle name should have been Murphy.:rolleyes2:

If someone assembled mine wrong then there's every chance that they've done the same thing to other machines, I would think.

I know my machine is not even close to your machines, but I made a new part to allow me to lift the foot enough to turn the work without loosening the thread tension.

Anything over 3//8 I had loose stitches in the corners, I made a new part that gave me just over 1/2 inch. The first one I made only works with the foot fully depressed, which I found hard on my leg after s few hours sewing.

I think it is a good idea to adjust this to suit you and not put up with the factory setting.

Bert.

Thank you for posting those pictures @RemingtonSteel. This can be very helpful when people run into problems like this.:wave:

Mine has about 3/4" (20mm) of lift with the foot pedal, but there is still another 1/4" (5mm) left before the presser foot bar is at it's max. lift. Looking at the design it wouldn't be hard to get that full lift , by making a replacement crank. I just checked the Juki parts list and interestingly the  Juki crank is flat, it doesn't have the offset that the Cowboy machine has. Maybe when I'm looking for something to do one day..........

In the meantime I explained the issue to Jess (Hi Jess :)) and suggested she check it on any machines she unpacks, just in case. She said will order a replacement part for me, so all is good. Now if I can just get rid of this bloody hay fever!!!!!!

Edited by dikman

You have hay fever in that HEAT and it looks to get worse as the week goes on.

Get a BIG box of Antihistamines  and that it easy.

Bert.

Yeah, not looking good temp. wise. I hate summer!!! If it wasn't for having family here we would have moved to Tassie years ago.

Anti-histamines, got them but not doing much good today, so I'm just sitting around with a laptop. I've got some cartridges to reload but it's too hot in the shed for that or sewing.

Thank for telling me that, I'm about a day behind you with the weather. Take care, the next few will be crackers.

Their telling me Friday could be 45 °C, damm.

Bert.

Only good thing about the heat is my tomatoes and cucumbers are finally starting to grow!!

I've been thinking about that wire link and I'm wondering if it will be possible to make a replacement out of steel stock. I'll have to see how much room there is.

Or a piece of 1/8 plate, 1/2 or 5/8 wide and drilled bent to look like the the rod.

How wide is the rod where it sits on the screw?

Bert.

About 1/8", the top loop has to be at right angles to the bottom loop, the bonus of making a replacement is that I could make it fractionally shorter which would give a little more lift. Something to ponder.

Please be careful shortening it.

You need to be aware when the foot lifting releases the tension on the thread? I have adjusted or made new parts to give me more lift before the tension is released from the thread.

Bert.

The School of hard knocks taught me well.

Well it taught me to measure twice and cut once or look at "What If".

Bert.