Deciding between 206RB-1 VS 206RB-5

I am trying to decide between a well-maintained 206RB-1 and a new 205RB-5

$1,300 shipped for the 206RB-1 and would include:

• Servo Motor
  • Roller guide
  • Speed Reducer
  • Table
  • Knee Lift

$1,500 for the 206RB-5 - includes table and servo motor. Local pickup. 

What are the advantages, if any, of going with a new model? I am a sucker for vintage. 

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2019-12-14 at 3.22.34 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-12-14 at 3.22.42 PM.jpg

For me that would not be a hard decision. I think the used one is way overpriced when compared to the price of a new machine/ knee lift/ table/ servo motor. The only difference is the used machine is $200 cheaper and has a roller guide. Roller guides are fairly cheap if you really need one. The new Consew 206 RB-5 would have warranty, local support, manuals, checked over to ensure everything is in proper working order by a qualified tech and ready to work.

kgg

I was thinking the same thing. The RB1 would be a "1st generation" model and while it would be nice at only $200 cheaper than new it's over-priced, imo. I'd go for new at that price - unless you can knock down the price on the RB1. To use a well known Aussie phrase, at $1300 "tell him he's dreaming"!

It appears that the newer one is also missing a speed reducer, which is about $170, I believe.

Are the newer ones less robust than the older model? That seems to be the trend in anything new versus vintage. Same components for example?

Thanks

The 206RB-1 was made in Japan by Seiko.  The 206RB-5 is made in China.  Keep that in mind.

glenn

I have 2 Consew's, a 206RB and a 206RB-1. I bought them for $500 each. They both look like new with no visible wear on the bed. They came with clutch motors and one had a homemade table. After I bought a new table for the one and servo motors for both I have about $650 into one and $800 in the other. I really enjoy sewing on these machines. I use the 206RB setup with a swing-out binder as my dedicated binding machine. I would not want to pay near 'new retail' for either of these machines, but I would not trade either one of them for a brand new 206RB-5. Not that there is anything wrong with a new 206RB-5, I just like these earlier machines.

If you want a new machine, consider a Juki DNU-1541S (made in Japan). I bought my Juki from Gregg at keysew.com, who is a contributor on this forum, at a great price. You can check out his website to see the price (free shipping). Gregg is in Pennsylvania and I am in Oregon and it arrived here set up and ready to sew with no problems.

Here is a photo of my 206RB.

206rb.jpg

Edited by JJN

5 hours ago, shoepatcher said:

The 206RB-1 was made in Japan by Seiko.  The 206RB-5 is made in China.  Keep that in mind.

glenn

Noted, thanks. 

Seems that's that demise of anything with build quality as a feature. Efficiency and profit prevail. 

1 hour ago, JJN said:

I have 2 Consew's, a 206RB and a 206RB-1. I bought them for $500 each. They both look like new with no visible wear on the bed. They came with clutch motors and one had a homemade table. After I bought a new table for the one and servo motors for both I have about $650 into one and $800 in the other. I really enjoy sewing on these machines. I use the 206RB setup with a swing-out binder as my dedicated binding machine. I would not want to pay near 'new retail' for either of these machines, but I would not trade either one of them for a brand new 206RB-5. Not that there is anything wrong with a new 206RB-5, I just like these earlier machines.

If you want a new machine, consider a Juki DNU-1541S (made in Japan). I bought my Juki from Gregg at keysew.com, who is a contributor on this forum, at a great price. You can check out his website to see the price (free shipping). Gregg is in Pennsylvania and I am in Oregon and it arrived here set up and ready to sew with no problems.

Here is a photo of my 206RB.

206rb.jpg

You share my sentiments. I am a sucker for the classics. Thank you for the info!

Will I be okay sewing 3/8'' occasionally? I saw that the Thor, in the same class, has a dial on top that allows for extra room in between the needle and work. 

Hello  I've had dozens of these machines  My first  in 1976 brand new , still working

in my old shop. I've had no issues except timing.   These machines have clutches (a must),

horizontal axis hook design  these are far less subject to hook jamming than vertical

axis machines.   Hook is secured to a keyed shaft, timing much easier. just adjust

needle bar.    Best machine for rookies or the experienced.   My choice the new one.

I've had the chinese version and it sews well .  Plus it will do a little more thickness.

I also like the stitch dial and the reverse position.

6 hours ago, Teslabolt said:

Will I be okay sewing 3/8'' occasionally? I saw that the Thor, in the same class, has a dial on top that allows for extra room in between the needle and work. 

The dial on top changes the height of the walking foot step. If the step height is not high enough when you need to sew over a seam or strap it will push your work out of position instead of stepping over it. The same adjustment is available on a similar machine without the dial with a nut on the back side of the machine that you loosen and adjust up or down a slotted arm. The dial is handy because you can make a quick adjustment 'on the fly', the other adjustment you will want to make before you start the stitch or the project. This doesn't change the thickness of what you are sewing, just the height of the walking foot step while it is sewing.

I would take the 206rb-1 without hesitation.  I've owned both these versions and while they look nearly identical, there is no comparison.  The Rb-1 makes a smooth mechanical sound like a well oiled machine.

The Rb-5 goes clackety-clack clackety-clack.  No matter how much oil you add, it sounds like it still needs oil.  Every RB-5 I've ever used sounds like that.  

I have to go in the other room to listen to nails on a chalkboard.  It's more relaxing.  

Plus, you get a speed reducer with the Rb-1.  That's worth $100-300 alone depending on what type of reducer.  

You could argue there are better deals on the the Rb-1, but I do believe it's hands down a better built machine.

I have no experience with an RB-1. I wouldn't trade my RB-5 for anything. Noisy? Never heard that before. When oiled properly, it sings to me every time I use it plus it has reverse.

Ferg

Bear in mind that lacking a speed reducer may not necessarily be an issue, depending on what you want to sew. Plus one can always be fitted later and you can make your own if you're that way inclined.