toxo

Cordage for piping?

This may be a stupid question but I'm gonna ask it anyway. I want to make some piping for a leather bag using lightweight soft leather. The problem is all the cordage I'm finding is like a loose soft rope and the result is lumpy and bumpy. There must be something out there that's smooth. I'm even thinking about hanging it up with a weight and a tighter twist and some glue. I know you knowledgeable guys will have the answer, preferably in the UK.

The thin paracord may be what you are looking for or the thicker 550 version wrapped in thin veg tan or chrome

You might google plastic upholstery piping and see what turns up.   It does exist - nice and smooth, I reused what was in my leather couch to repair it.

- Bill

I've seen weed-eater cord used before...

YinTx

19 minutes ago, YinTx said:

I've seen weed-eater cord used before...

YinTx

This, and it is available in multiple thicknesses.  

I knew you guys would come through. Thanks guys.

I use 3/32" foam core piping for small upholstery projects and throw pillows.  It looks pretty nice in leather.  It holds a line much better than the soft ropes.  

I've also experimented with empty piping (no cording inserted).  I took apart an antique chair cushion, and it was built with empty piping.  It looks pretty good, but I found it a little difficult to follow with a cording foot.  Even my 3/16" foot wanted to wander a little. 

I'm sure it will take some experimenting to find what works best for you.    

2 hours ago, Pintodeluxe said:

I use 3/32" foam core piping for small upholstery projects and throw pillows.  It looks pretty nice in leather.  It holds a line much better than the soft ropes.  

I've also experimented with empty piping (no cording inserted).  I took apart an antique chair cushion, and it was built with empty piping.  It looks pretty good, but I found it a little difficult to follow with a cording foot.  Even my 3/16" foot wanted to wander a little. 

I'm sure it will take some experimenting to find what works best for you.    

Cechaflo does it with a skiving machine.