CIC

Thread Selection

This is my first plea for help...here goes:

Being new to leatherwork, I'm completely without tools & supplies.  I've watched a number of vidjas (videos, as we say it 'round here) and came up with a pricks & stitches kit from amazon that helped me figure out what else I needed to know.  The first thing is that the flat braided thread in the kit doesn't fill the holes I make with the pricking tools.  After poking around suppliers, I find I need to ask a question:  Where can I find a very thick, round thread that I can dye to a color of my choosing?  And by thick I mean 1mm or greater, maybe even a full 2mm.  Is there an easy answer to this?

7 hours ago, CIC said:

This is my first plea for help...here goes:

Being new to leatherwork, I'm completely without tools & supplies.  I've watched a number of vidjas (videos, as we say it 'round here) and came up with a pricks & stitches kit from amazon that helped me figure out what else I needed to know.  The first thing is that the flat braided thread in the kit doesn't fill the holes I make with the pricking tools.  After poking around suppliers, I find I need to ask a question:  Where can I find a very thick, round thread that I can dye to a color of my choosing?  And by thick I mean 1mm or greater, maybe even a full 2mm.  Is there an easy answer to this?

You're watching the wrong vidjas my friend. learn how to saddle stitch which puts two threads in the hole  and buy the colour thread that you want.

Gee, maybe I wasn't very clear.  I want a nice thick thread.  I'd like it to be round.  And I'd like it to take the color of my choice.  I was hoping to get a recommendation from an experienced leatherman, so as to save me some effort in contacting so many retailers that might not have what I want.  I've already been misled by a supplier telling me their thread is all those things just to get me to make a purchase...it's the last nickel of my money they will ever see.

If there are no recommendations, I'm sorry to be a burden.

19 minutes ago, Mattsbagger said:

Thanks Matt.  Have you used this supplier in the past?  I only ask because it looks like the product ships from Poland, WOW.

What part of the World are you in? If Poland is not convenient perhaps if we know your location, we can make a more appropriate recommendation.

I have no idea what a pricks & stitches kit is and I am wondering if you are using the wrong tools for the project. Tried to find it on Amazon with no luck. Can you post a pic of your tools?

What kind of project are you making? I wonder which videos you watched that so mislead you to purchase tools that do not work for you. I suggest that you watch some YouTube videos by Ian Atkinson and Nigel Armitage to get you going in the right direction.

You can google unwaxed linen thread. It can be dyed whatever color you want but I seriously doubt if 2mm thread is the answer here. Give us more details so that we can help you better.

nick

39 minutes ago, CIC said:

Thanks Matt.  Have you used this supplier in the past?  I only ask because it looks like the product ships from Poland, WOW.

Nope I only use pre waxed and dyed Tiger thread and nothing that big. I’ve ordered supplies from all over the world on Etsy with no problems and shipping is usually fairly quick.

image.png.87d7b98ee5a8795c16586fcedbb43b7d.png

Hey man, thanks for the reply.  I was beginning to think I'm in the wrong place.

It's nuthin' fancy, just a bunch of pricking irons and some needles & thread.  The thread is so thin it doesn't fill the holes made by the irons.  The needles are so thick it is difficult to get them thru the leather.  I suppose 2mm is a bit excessive, I just mentioned it as the upper end of the range.  Oh, the thread is flat which doesn't look right to me.

I'd be mighty grateful for a solid recommendation for a professional thread vendor.  Just some company that you liked enuff to earn your repeat business.

Thanks again.

Tiger thread is flat braided. It lays awesome. But in the end the look is up to you. Cheap chisels are hard to get good results with. Check out Nigel Armitage Leather on YouTube he has a LOT of stitching videos and reviews of different chisels and irons if you want to stitch with an awl.

Flat or round thread is a matter of personal preference. The pic is too small to see what you have.

You probably need diamond chisels.

You probably need John James 002 needles or Tandy #0 Harness needles.

You probably need 0.8 or 1.0mm thread.

You probably need to be using a saddle stitch.

Again, if you are willing to tell us what part of the World you are in... and what you are making... it could help a lot.

Right now, I feel like I am playing "20 Questions"! Perhaps you could make things easier by giving us more information.

nick

Your illustration is thumbnail size when I click on it.  Actual pictures of what you're using and what your stitches look like please. Also what leather you're using.   Pictures are worth at least a thousand words in this case.  It will give the guys who know what they're doing a better idea of changes that need to be made

EDIT:  About the John James needles Wizard of Tragananth mentioned.  I've only used John James needles for leather.  If there are better out there I'll never know.  I don't feel any need to try any other brand.

Edited by rodneywt1180b

3 hours ago, wizard of tragacanth said:

Right now, I feel like I am playing "20 Questions"! Perhaps you could make things easier by giving us more information.

Gee, Nick, you asked for a pic and I sent it.  I didn't know it was going to show up as a thumbnail, it certainly wasn't one that I copied and pasted.  I'll try something else next time I post.

They are cheap chinese diamond shaped 4mm spaced.  The threads are flat braided with 3 strands.  The needles are fat and blunt except a few triangle shaped ones that are pointy enuf to be dangerous if mishandled.

I live in the great NorthEast between CT, NY, PA, WV. & OHIO.

I am making small things like pencil holders & fobs to hang on keychains.

And thanks for keeping after me about all that.  If you need more I'll tell you.

/Jer/

Go to Ian Atkinson's website and see if that is of any help.

Start on this page but have a look around... 

https://www.ianatkinson.net/leather/leatherguide.htm

You want blunt needles for hand stitching, don't use the sharp ones.

Edited by wizard of tragacanth

If you give the people here a chance they're more than happy to help you out. Your question seems simple but unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a magic bullet for it.  There are too many variables for a simple answer.  A clear photo of your equipment, the holes your chisels make and an example of your stitching is going to go a long way toward getting your questions answered.  Leather type and thickness also plays a part.  It's not unreasonable to ask for this information. 

Why location?  There's probably a member near you that can help, also suppliers are different in the UK, Europe, other parts of the world than the USA.

I'm still figuring out what I like for thread/needle/hole too.  For saddle stitching  I'm using a 3mm stitching chisel from Goods Japan and 1mm Ritza tiger thread (flat woven)  The 3mm chisel has spacing that I like but I feel the holes are a little large.  I use a home made round awl for other types of stitching.  Most of my leather work centers around covering cane handles and crutches so I'm not doing that much saddle stitching. 

First off I recommend you get the John James harness needles.  The correct needle does make a difference and they're not expensive but you may have to go online to find them.  From what I've seen around here (WA state) you're not going to find as good in a craft store.  For  1mm thread probably a 002 needle is about right (at least for Ritza tiger thread).  1mm threads through the eye without much effort but the needle is still fairly small.

Your 4mm chisels are probably too big (cutting too large of holes).  Either get a high quality chisel or get a pricking iron instead.  You can use your chisel as a pricking iron to just mark the holes instead as well.  Use a leather awl (the blade type, not a stitching awl with the thread in it) to actually make your holes.  There's a much steeper learning curve to using the awl than using the chisels but you have total control that way.

If you're not doing it already, you can tap down your stitch line.  That will help close the holes back up some for a neater appearance as well.  

On 1/10/2020 at 11:29 PM, CIC said:

I find I need to ask a question:  Where can I find a very thick, round thread that I can dye to a color of my choosing?  And by thick I mean 1mm or greater, maybe even a full 2mm.  Is there an easy answer to this?

Gee, guyz, don't take this the wrong way but I was only asking where to buy thick, round, unwaxed thread.  I can take the treatment as well as anyone of ye, but I just want some thread.

1 hour ago, rodneywt1180b said:

Your question seems simple but unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a magic bullet for it.

Who is your best thread supplier?

8 hours ago, wizard of tragacanth said:

You probably need 0.8 or 1.0mm thread.

Who do you think I should buy it from?

10 hours ago, wizard of tragacanth said:

You can google unwaxed linen thread.

Of course I searched unwaxed linen thread and got all the vendors that paid to have their names come up first.

That's the point of my asking where y'all buy your thread:  to get a good recommendation for some trusted thread vendors.

I really thought ye would have started coming across with the names of vendors, that's why I played along...I dread the thought of seeming ungrateful.  But honestly, I'll be asking you better questions as I keep on making things.

At some point I want to try a cartridge belt for my boy and I should have some good questions then, but I just want to have a little fun now with a new hobby sewing leather with the kind of thread I want to stitch with.

So, does anyone know a good thread vendor?

Thanks, /Jer/

Edited by CIC
typos

With regard to the hole size, are you sewing with a single needle like used at home sewing or are you using two needles which basically means the first needle goes through the hole say from the top and then the second needle goes in the same hole from the bottom , which means each hole is filled with two threads

Tiger thread is probably the most used thread and can come in many colours, and many suppliers sell it on Ebay and the like, many also supply it in different quantities from about 20 metres to 200 metres. see https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR3.TRC1.A0.H0.Xtiger+thread.TRS0&_nkw=tiger+thread&_sacat=0 

Many don't need to dye the thread as they make a statement with the thread like using Red thread on Black leather, and never heard of anyone dyeing their thread apart from large companies doing mass production

Hope this is of some help

Well, let's try to be helpful and not too critical

I'm guessing that you haven't done much leatherwork, in which case as well as this forum, YouTube is your friend!. Search for things like 'beginners leatherwork'; 'saddle stitching'; and away you go!. Also anything else that takes your fancy - belts? wallets? pouches?  possibles bags? There are loads of videos, and you'll see how other people work. The thing about leatherwork is that most of the techniques are used on everything you make, so learning how to sew or burnish edges on a belt is near as dammit the same as for a bag, a wallet, or anything else

This might be useful - 'Shotgun Cartridge Slider' by Nigel Armitage  Otherwise just search for 'Making a shotgun cartridge belt' and 'cartridge belt'

I'm puzzled over why you need/want such thick thread. The usual diameter for leatherwork is 0,6 or 0,8mm Sometimes you can go up to 1,0mm, and I've seen 1,2mm thread intended for hand stitching leather, but that's about the limit. After that you're really looking at twine/cord/string, so if you really want that, then hardware stores would be a likely source

A couple of years ago I bought a roll of Fil de Lin linen thread by mistake, instead of Fil au Chinois, which is an excellent linen thread. The Fil de Lin is fairly thick, about 1,5mm, and I tried it on making an axe cover. Yes, it looked thicker and chunkier than my usual thread, but also it didn't look very neat. Though admittedly it is only intended for general use like tying parcels and in the kitchen, and not for sewing. Also, it wasn't that easy to use compared to regular thread, and I had to use Tandy 'big eye' needles instead of JJ 002

Dyeing? Why? Search for Ritza25 or Tiger thread and there is a range of colours, or go to Fil au Chinois or Twist in linen or poly. All available in a variety of colours and from Rocky Mountain Leather Supply. There are other thread suppliers of course, but that's the best one I know of in USA. My current favourite thread is Amy Roke, but you'll have to do your own Search

Have you ever done any dyeing? It's messy! A few years when my daughter was teenage we tie - dyed a couple of T shirts. That was bad enough, and that was done in a washing machine

Out of curiosity I tried dyeing my Fil de Lin and it wasn't very successful, though admittedly that was with black leather dye  It didn't take, and the result was just dirty grey

Here in northern England is the centre for textile manufacture, both wool and cotton (though it has declined in recent years) I worked in a cotton mill for a while, and i can tell you that dyeing is a tricky process to get right

You won't be able to dye synthetic thread, so you're looking a natural and that is usually medium to pale brown and wouldn't show the dye well; so you'd want bleached or white, or do it yourself

Edited by zuludog

8 hours ago, CIC said:

Gee, guyz, don't take this the wrong way but I was only asking where to buy thick, round, unwaxed thread.  I can take the treatment as well as anyone of ye, but I just want some thread.

Welcome to LW.net  where "Where's the good thread?" returns links to pictures of sides vs backs 'n' bellies, discussion of various types of needles, and a suggestion to search elsewhere :rofl:

Actually, I don't know the answer to your question, EITHER.  I use bonded thread, even when I hand stitch, and it's already dyed.  But you sound much like me, and I simply wasn't passing the opportunity to throw in a "told ya so" ;)

Sadly, much of what you'll find here is the same "information" parroted over and over again, often by people who didn't understand or have no experience in what they're repeating (I have been told more than once about the great quality of a particular sewing machine... by people who have never used one).  I'm with ya -- simple question should result in simple answer, and I'm never offended when the guy who doesn't know just doesn't reply.

So I'll return you to your question without further...stuff.   good luck!

On 1/11/2020 at 6:53 AM, CIC said:

Gee, maybe I wasn't very clear.  I want... thread...round...take the color of my choice....

I was hoping to get a recommendation...I've already been misled ...

If there are no recommendations, I'm sorry to be a burden.

15 hours ago, CIC said:

I live in the great NorthEast between CT, NY, PA, WV. & OHIO.

It would be a good idea to put your approximate location in your profile so you get answers related to your area.  This is a world wide forum.

Tom

2 hours ago, Northmount said:

It would be a good idea to put your approximate location in your profile so you get answers related to your area.  This is a world wide forum.

Tom

Tom, I really do divide my time between these 5 states.

/Jer/

4 hours ago, JLSleather said:

Welcome to LW.net  where "Where's the good thread?" returns links to pictures of sides vs backs 'n' bellies, discussion of various types of needles, and a suggestion to search elsewhere :rofl:

I guess (search) mileage varies on this site because I didn't get anything like what you're describing.  I think that laughing smiley applies more to you for refusing to name at least one good thread source.

4 hours ago, JLSleather said:

So I'll return you to your question without further...stuff.   good luck!

How about a recommendation for a thread vendor?

You didn't get any of that?@!  Did you see ANY of that up there ↑ ;)

Ah, no matter.  Next time I know.  :dunno:

I get thread at thethreadexchange.com, superiorthreads.com, and Bob (red link below)

3 hours ago, CIC said:

I really do divide my time between these 5 states.

You don't understand the concept.  I simply suggested that you add your location to your profile.  I don't care if you put it in your profile the same as you posted earlier in this thread, "the great NorthEast between CT, NY, PA, WV. & OHIO" or NE USA, or a rocket ship floating around the moon.

Identifying your location in the universe helps get you information and assistance from your part of the universe, which may be much more relevant than if you were on Mars or Venus.

Tom