Uwe

Footlift handle extension for 441 class machines (low-cost and easy DIY option)

Lately I've been contemplating the recurring theme of footlift handle extensions for the 441 class of sewing machines (Juki TSC-441, Cowboy CB-4500 CB-3200, Techsew 5100, etc.,) mainly to avoid having to make more of my UX441 handles, which were just much too labor intensive to make.

These footlift handle extensions become a necessity if you install a swing-down edge guide. The original handle interferes with the edge guide and needs to be either removed or extended. 

I think I found a decent solution that is low-cost, almost pretty, and it actually works. Most importantly, you can make it yourself from parts readily available on Amazon or Ebay. For about USD $15, you can make TWO handle extensions and still have one dowel pin left over. I don't think I can come up with a simpler solution, so this is likely my final take on this topic. The parts should be available outside of North America, too - shaft connectors and dowel pins are somewhat generic items. 

Here's the Amazon shopping list (with both blue aluminum and silvery steel shaft connectors) : https://www.amazon.com/hz/wishlist/ls/ISFGAFA3QMTY?ref_=wl_share

The ONLY modification I made to the parts is grinding two flat spots onto the dowel pin, one on each end. This takes about one minute.

Step 1: Remove the existing handle (this may be harder than you think - it took me nearly half an hour to get my glued-and-screwed-on original handle off using Acetone to dissolve the glue)

Step 2: Grind two flat spots on the dowel pin 

Step 3 : Assemble the extension (see images below)

Step 4: Attach original handle to the extension

Step 5: Install extended handle back on machine(use Lock-Tite or similar glue to make it as permanent as you want)

Here's a picture of the parts. The dowel pin on top is the original, the bottom one shows the two ground flat spots:

IMG_4112.jpg

Here are the pictures that show the assembled extension by itself:

IMG_4098.jpg

IMG_4093.jpg

Here's how the complete assembly looks installed on my Cowboy CB-3200:

IMG_4100.jpg

IMG_4103.jpg

IMG_4104.jpg

If you don't think you can handle this DIY task, you can buy the handle extension ( I call it UX441N ) alone or as part of an edge guide kit on my website at http://uwe.store soon. 

Edited by Uwe

Well done, Uwe!:specool:  You have done all the hard work to show anyone wanting to make an extension just how to do it, and shown how to do it at minimal cost.

I love the ingenuity and willingness to share with others.

Such a simple solution Uwe,  thank you for sharing.  If I hadn’t already machined a custom extension on the lathe at work, I would be doing this for sure.