Vaelloc

fire fighter helmet tag

been making helmet tags for my fire dept.  11 fire fighters in my station.  around 500 total in the dept.  been selling at 30 a tag.    Is that a good price or am I over charging. 

Screenshot_20200731-122949_Snapchat_copy_1080x1662.jpg

20200715_151456_copy_1209x1612.jpg

20200522_125357_copy_1024x1365.jpg

I think that is fair. It's not a gouge nor are you doing it for free either. Good on you for having a market.

Sounds like a fair price to me.  Takes time to paint all the details!

Gary

15 hours ago, battlemunky said:

I think that is fair. It's not a gouge nor are you doing it for free either. Good on you for having a market.

14 hours ago, garypl said:

Sounds like a fair price to me.  Takes time to paint all the details!

Gary

6 hours ago, Retswerb said:

If they’re selling, you’re not over charging. Keep it up!

thanks everyone.   I got texts messages for 24 more orders.   only one complained that 30 was too much.  but he also complains how much dinner is every shift.   I just told him that it's an expensive hobby and that the helmet tag would last a long time.  and was made for a fire fighter by a fire fighter.  

I wonder if he could do one in an hour. That would be without material. That's alot or boring work, maybe ask him to help you. Please foward this to the that one who complained of price.

Edited by Bawarrior
more info

Those look great, I like how you're painting all those details in the 605 tag with the stripes and stars; and on the other ones, the outlining of the numbers and letters. Very cool.

We all should know by now there is always one. 

JCUK 

I think $30 is way too low once you have your method down and you can accurately estimate the number of hours needed to produce one front. If it takes three hours to make one then you are making $10 an hour without taking in any cost for leather or paint etc. So, lets say you are making $8 an hour at $30 each.

I work at American Saddlery/Big Horn Saddlery/ShoTan leather in Chattanooga Tennessee and we have a few clients that buy leather for this exact purpose. Their fronts are amazingly detailed  - works of art - and start at around $100 bucks.

Side note - I'm a former RESCUE/Marine Rescue guy now retired - EMS people love quality work and pay for it. Nothing wrong with giving a buddy a deal - but do not sell your self short. Count your hours, material costs, how much your time is worth.