MtlBiker

Linings?

I'm quite new to sewing and unfortunately I know of nobody close to me who I could ask for advice... So I'm asking here.

What are good choices for lining material for things like belt pouches, small bags, etc.?  I look at some items and don't have enough experience to tell what the interior fabric is.  Sometimes it looks like nylon perhaps or even a tight mesh fabric.  If you make a leather wallet or belt pouch or utility (flashlight, etc.) pouch, what do you line it with?  What if your outside fabric is Cordura?

The major Canadian fabric chain has a store right next door to my office and they've been no help with this kind of advice.  And I suspect they don't really carry the appropriate fabric for this.  I'd have to order online it seems, and that's hard when I don't know what I should be using.

If there's some kind of tutorial on lining fabrics, I haven't found it yet.  The only lined item I've made so far is a sleeve for MacBook Air... the inside lining I used was suede so as not to scratch the computer.  But suede isn't suitable for other little pouches and bags. 

Thanks for any pointers!

1 hour ago, MtlBiker said:

What are good choices for lining material for things like belt pouches, small bags, etc.?

I have pondered this question for a long time, and my solution is to line my bags with leather. Usually horse front, sometimes goat, sometimes lamb. It depends on what color choices I have, but more importantly, what kind of pocket I build into the lining. My favorite leather for lining is horse fronts that I get from Maverick Leather, as the material is thin yet sturdy. The only issue is that the colors are somewhat limited, so then I look to the goat (next best), then to lamb (which is sometimes too soft/supple). And, if it is relevant, I only make bags, and all of my liners are "drop-in".

Rocky Mountain Leather Supply sells micro-suede, from Luigi Carnevalli, which is "non-woven fabric made from a much finer fibre than basic microfibre and therefore showing a softer and rounder hand". Maybe that'll do for your linings? :thinking:

Carnevalli also makes nylon fabric specifically for lining: http://www.carnevali.it/en/products/

https://www.rmleathersupply.com/products/luigi-carnevali-micro-suede-lining?variant=15313367040109

I've been lining with suede or very thin (1 oz) leather, so far. But I just ordered some of that LC micro-suede to try out—of course, I won't be able to report back on it for at least a couple of weeks, since the order was just placed yesterday.

1 minute ago, Hardrada said:

Rocky Mountain Leather Supply sells micro-suede, from Luigi Carnevalli, which is "non-woven fabric made from a much finer fibre than basic microfibre and therefore showing a softer and rounder hand". Maybe that'll do for your linings? :thinking:

Carnevalli also makes nylon fabric specifically for lining: http://www.carnevali.it/en/products/

https://www.rmleathersupply.com/products/luigi-carnevali-micro-suede-lining?variant=15313367040109

I've been lining with suede or very thin (1 oz) leather, so far. But I just ordered some of that LC micro-suede to try out—of course, I won't be able to report back on it for at least a couple of weeks, since the order was just placed yesterday.

Thank you!  Please do let me know how your ordering experience works out.  I'm also in Canada and I'm reluctant to order products from the States due to often much higher than expected shipping rates, plus potentially duties.  (I ordered a couple of spools of v69 polyester thread from Sailrite about two months ago and the UPS shipping, plus brokerage - which Sailrite had said was included but UPS said wasn't, plus DUTY (yes!) made the purchase less than worthwhile.  But I'm finding it tough to find v69 UVR polyester thread here in Canada... I get my v92 from JTSOUTDOORFABRICS.COM and it's been pretty good.  I also just placed a trial order of v92 from a US place called Cleaner's Supply which had a really good price in Canadian dollars and offered free shipping to Canada.  I'm anxious to see if it comes in without too much delay or problems.)

Do you know how "micro-suede" compares with regular suede?  I'll go check the website you linked in your reply.  Thanks!

40 minutes ago, LatigoAmigo said:

I have pondered this question for a long time, and my solution is to line my bags with leather. Usually horse front, sometimes goat, sometimes lamb. It depends on what color choices I have, but more importantly, what kind of pocket I build into the lining. My favorite leather for lining is horse fronts that I get from Maverick Leather, as the material is thin yet sturdy. The only issue is that the colors are somewhat limited, so then I look to the goat (next best), then to lamb (which is sometimes too soft/supple). And, if it is relevant, I only make bags, and all of my liners are "drop-in".

Thanks for your comments.- I haven't yet started working with leather... I'm learning how to make things using Cordura nylon and waxed canvas, but hope to start with leather soon.  I guess it makes sense to use leather as a liner for a leather bag, but I don't know what people are using as lining for utility pouches, flashlight pouches, etc.  Before working with leather, I want to get my sewing skills improved, using less expensive materials.  Besides, I haven't found a local source for leather, particularly small pieces to experiment with.  But I've now got a bunch of leather needles!!!  :)  I'm getting ready!

36 minutes ago, MtlBiker said:

Do you know how "micro-suede" compares with regular suede?  I'll go check the website you linked in your reply.  Thanks!

"Micro-suede" is, I believe, a synthetic fabric. Regular sued is, well, suede.

Regards,

Arturo

Pigskin is cheap as chips and will line almost anything. Can usually get it in black/white /brown and different thicknesses. Has a smooth and a "suede side" I've used it for lining and bulking up a thin outer leather.

Thanks for your comments.- I haven't yet started working with leather... I'm learning how to make things using Cordura nylon and waxed canvas, but hope to start with leather soon.  I guess it makes sense to use leather as a liner for a leather bag, but I don't know what people are using as lining for utility pouches, flashlight pouches, etc.  Before working with leather, I want to get my sewing skills improved, using less expensive materials.  Besides, I haven't found a local source for leather, particularly small pieces to experiment with.  But I've now got a bunch of leather needles!!!  :)  I'm getting ready!

I watched Ian Atkinson use fabric to line a wallet once: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4meaY6lWOMw

Seems to me it's regular fabric.

In terms of lining, it seems counterintuitive (maybe even counterproductive) to me to use leather to line a project made of non-leather material. But using fabric to line leather products is standard practice. There's this book on bags: https://www.amazon.ca/Leather-Bags-Stylish-Designs-Occasion/dp/1454710624

Mrs. Erhardt uses fabric and faux leather as both liner and main-body construction materials. Good examples and techniques there, and if you're using a machine to stitch, that book might be worth a look. From what I've seen , the liner does not necessarily have to be glued: in many bags the fabric liner is held in place by means of the stitching, but it's otherwise 'floating' inside the leather body. Another thing that can be done with fabric is to make zippered pockets for leather projects.

Edited by Hardrada

11 hours ago, YinTx said:

There are many out there, but here is one:

https://www.springfieldleather.com/Cloth-Faille-Black-Yd

@RockyAussie had a link here somewhere I think to another type.

YinTx

Thank you.  Do you know what that Springfield Leather Faille fabric is made of?  A web search tells me it could be silk, rayon or cotton.  I tried to put together a small order of that fabric plus some leathers to experiment with and was disappointed that it wouldn't let me enter Canada as a shipping destination.  So I'm going to have to try to find some Faille here in Canada.  And a source of small bits of leather.  I just need something to get my feet wet with.

18 hours ago, Hardrada said:

I contacted Luigi Carnevalli, and unfortunately RMLeathersupply is the only North American source.  I was going to place an order for a yard of it to test out and the fabric was going to be US$30 but the shipping was MORE than that!  Plus, in my experience, the UPS shipping options they had don't include brokerage which UPS does charge us.  So the cost was more than doubling... close to three times.

Did you order enough to make it more economical to buy?

I guess you have searched to see if there's a comparable product available in Canada?

Have you thought about using Tokonole to burnish the flesh side rather than a lining?  Leather lining is higher end than cloth.  You are asking this question quite prematurely when you haven't even began working with leather.

Edited by mike02130
replaced a period with a question mark.

45 minutes ago, mike02130 said:

Have you thought about using Tokonole to burnish the flesh side rather than a lining?  Leather lining is higher end than cloth.  You are asking this question quite prematurely when you haven't even began working with leather.

I did ask about linings in general, and specifically asked about linings if the outside material was Cordura.  Yes I'm prematurely asking about leather, but hope to get working with it soon (as soon as I can find a Canadian source for small bits of leather).

I'm sorry that my beginner questions are not exclusively about leather.

The only dumb question is the one you don't ask, or ask after you've already bought something that's not suitable!

I fully understand you wanting to think ahead, Biker! It's just that most people aren't thinking about lining something this early in the game! B)

When you first get into this leather mallarkey it seems that there's lots of tradition and mystery but most of it comes down to common sense. Linings can be as vast a subject as you like or you can apply some common sense to the project that's in front of you. On a toolbag you might have a heavy duty lining or none at all. For a wallet something nice and smooth and thin. For a ladies handbag (purse) It can be fixed or floating so even if the top is fixed the rest an be pulled out for cleaning. Part of the fun is making it up as you go along.

6 hours ago, MtlBiker said:

Did you order enough to make it more economical to buy?

I guess you have searched to see if there's a comparable product available in Canada?

I ordered a 50x16-inch piece from RML. $19 USD, so yeah, about $30 CAD. I ordered leather and Tokonole and Columbus wax as well, though, so as to make the $40 shipping cost worth my while.

Since I'm thinking of using it for small goods, I think such a metre-long patch should suffice. If you PM me your address I can send you a small sample, if you want, that way you can take a look and see if buying the 4-metre, 50 square feet roll would be a good decision, based on the kind of projects you make.

26 minutes ago, Hardrada said:

I ordered a 50x16-inch piece from RML. $19 USD, so yeah, about $30 CAD. I ordered leather and Tokonole and Columbus wax as well, though, so as to make the $40 shipping cost worth my while.

Since I'm thinking of using it for small goods, I think such a metre-long patch should suffice. If you PM me your address I can send you a small sample, if you want, that way you can take a look and see if buying the 4-metre, 50 square feet roll would be a good decision, based on the kind of projects you make.

That's really very kind of you... thank you!  If I can't find anything else I like, I might take you up for a small scrap of it just to see what it feels like.

I'm interested in what this ends up costing you in the end.  I expect that you'll be hit with HST tax and probably some duty as well because the product isn't made in the US.  And a brokerage charge from the shipper.

Many US companies find it a pain to deal with and ship to us Canadians, which is a shame.  But I just found a company that is an exception... Cleaner's Supply out of NY State.  I was looking for some more v92 bonded polyester UV-resistant thread and I'd been buying it from JT's Outdoor Fabrics in Ontario (good group to deal with).  But I found Cleaner's Supply quoted the price in Canadian dollars and with minimum $100 orders, they give free shipping to Canada.  I ordered yesterday and the shipping information says I'll have it here on Friday.  Hard to believe!  And the price for 1lb spools of the exact same thread I'd been buying were half the price that I'd been paying.  So there are exceptions!

Cheers!

2 hours ago, Sheilajeanne said:

The only dumb question is the one you don't ask, or ask after you've already bought something that's not suitable!

I fully understand you wanting to think ahead, Biker! It's just that most people aren't thinking about lining something this early in the game! B)

Kind of you.  Thanks!

Toxo, I REALLY wish we had a 'like' button on this forum that I could hit! Yes, very true, and you made me laugh!

Many US companies find it a pain to deal with and ship to us Canadians, which is a shame.  But I just found a company that is an exception... Cleaner's Supply out of NY State.

WAWAK is the parent company of Cleaner's Supply.  The WAWAK catalog and website might have more of what you need:

www.wawak.com

They are good people to work with —very helpful and knowledgeable.  Not sure about their international shipping rates, but their domestic rates are extremely reasonable.

Edited by ButtonLady
Added some information.

1 hour ago, Sheilajeanne said:

Toxo, I REALLY wish we had a 'like' button on this forum that I could hit! Yes, very true, and you made me laugh!

Thank you Sheila. It's nice to know that someone doesn't think i'm talking out of my a**e (I'm English). The one that I miss is the little fella ROFLAO.