JerseyFirefighter

Brass Line 24 Snaps. A losing venture?

Hello there! I was curious about the forums input regarding brass snaps failing. I set a hundred plus snaps a month, and it seems like the only issues with snaps failing are predominately brass. I know it is a much softer metal in regards to other offerings, but I was wondering if anyone else has the same issues. I check every piece of hardware set. Brass posts are prone to the peen splitting in my experience. We make sure there is a nicely finished post so the I know the metal is not failing due to how it is set. I have tried setting on a standard snap anvil and I have set them on a press and die. 

As far as manufacturers, I have used weaver leather and even paid 4x the amount for a hundred pack on buckleguy with the same result. These snaps are used as retention pieces that has minimal pull/resistance and yet the failure rate is highly skewed towards brass. Any insight or suggestion as to a more robust line 24 snap in brass would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

I've had issues with buckleguy snaps failing, too. Had to switch to brass plate instead, from Oregon Leather. The price is high, so now I'm waiting on some samples from CS Osborne. I use line 20, but I'm sure it's the same issue. The dome piece shears off at the base of the post. It's super frustrating! 

I´m using CS Osborne brass snaps until I find a proper supplier for DOT black brass snaps on my end. DOT so far and in IMO worked best.

On 3/13/2021 at 2:58 PM, switchleatherco said:

I've had issues with buckleguy snaps failing, too. Had to switch to brass plate instead, from Oregon Leather. The price is high, so now I'm waiting on some samples from CS Osborne. I use line 20, but I'm sure it's the same issue. The dome piece shears off at the base of the post. It's super frustrating! 

It may come down to using brass plated instead of solid brass. Thanks for the confirmation that I am not the only one. I know of other guys doing similar work experiencing the same issue. Just a shame there wasn't a better alternative/more stout brass snap to use. 

On 3/12/2021 at 4:50 PM, JerseyFirefighter said:

Any insight or suggestion as to a more robust line 24 snap in brass would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

On 3/13/2021 at 9:39 PM, Constabulary said:

I´m using CS Osborne brass snaps until I find a proper supplier for DOT black brass snaps on my end. DOT so far and in IMO worked best.

Have you tried Waldes Snaps?? you can find small packs of 10 on the web to try out, or if you go to the supplier they sell boxes of min 1000 depending on the snap i think??, and they have there own dies and press if needed. They are made in Spain and have been in the buisness since 1928?. Also if you set a lot of snaps then buying by the thousand will end up cheaper in the long run?? If you need any pictures let me know, i have one here on hand at the moment.

https://waldes.es/

On 3/15/2021 at 11:31 AM, JerseyFirefighter said:

It may come down to using brass plated instead of solid brass. Thanks for the confirmation that I am not the only one. I know of other guys doing similar work experiencing the same issue. Just a shame there wasn't a better alternative/more stout brass snap to use. 

I haven't had the same issues with brass snaps failing. We're currently using weaver's solid brass snaps.

How are you setting them? We've been using the weaver little wonder and their attachments for line 24 and line 20 snaps. Could it be a hammer action that is work hardening rather than the single action from the press?

On 3/12/2021 at 8:50 AM, JerseyFirefighter said:

Hello there! I was curious about the forums input regarding brass snaps failing. I set a hundred plus snaps a month, and it seems like the only issues with snaps failing are predominately brass. I know it is a much softer metal in regards to other offerings, but I was wondering if anyone else has the same issues. I check every piece of hardware set. Brass posts are prone to the peen splitting in my experience. We make sure there is a nicely finished post so the I know the metal is not failing due to how it is set. I have tried setting on a standard snap anvil and I have set them on a press and die. 

As far as manufacturers, I have used weaver leather and even paid 4x the amount for a hundred pack on buckleguy with the same result. These snaps are used as retention pieces that has minimal pull/resistance and yet the failure rate is highly skewed towards brass. Any insight or suggestion as to a more robust line 24 snap in brass would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

I'm not quite straight on what you refer to as the "peen splitting".  Do you mean the post splits where the die rolls it over?

I made a joke a couple months ago that i was actually serious about

A group buy, Instead of paying out the woot woot for 4 snaps. We all pitch in our money and buy a quantity

I for one am up for a group buy. BUT.  I want no part of the buying, collecting the funds or the distribution.  

In other words. I will pitch in some bucks for snaps

As many people we have i do not ee any reason we can not score  10 or 20K complete snaps for a very good price

On 3/16/2021 at 12:05 PM, Gulrok said:

I haven't had the same issues with brass snaps failing. We're currently using weaver's solid brass snaps.

How are you setting them? We've been using the weaver little wonder and their attachments for line 24 and line 20 snaps. Could it be a hammer action that is work hardening rather than the single action from the press?

I have used both a craftool press pro with die and the more economical hand setter and anvil. I have had zero issues with any other finish I use. The solid brass seem to be the only one showing issues from time to time. 

On 3/16/2021 at 12:27 PM, sbrownn said:

I'm not quite straight on what you refer to as the "peen splitting".  Do you mean the post splits where the die rolls it over?

Yes, the post. 

On 3/16/2021 at 2:11 PM, Frodo said:

I made a joke a couple months ago that i was actually serious about

A group buy, Instead of paying out the woot woot for 4 snaps. We all pitch in our money and buy a quantity

I for one am up for a group buy. BUT.  I want no part of the buying, collecting the funds or the distribution.  

In other words. I will pitch in some bucks for snaps

As many people we have i do not ee any reason we can not score  10 or 20K complete snaps for a very good price

I typically purchase 500-750 at a time just so I don't have to store the excess hardware of larger buys. With my issue I wouldnt buy any more than a hundred or two at a time until I can find a more superior snap. 

2 hours ago, JerseyFirefighter said:

I have used both a craftool press pro with die and the more economical hand setter and anvil. I have had zero issues with any other finish I use. The solid brass seem to be the only one showing issues from time to time. 

Yes, the post. 

Thanks.