KWAK

Wallet for person with neuropathy in hands

I have a customer requesting a gift for a friend that has neuropathy in his hands. Since it is a gift, I can't contact the end-customer for specific needs. She does state that he has difficulty getting cards into and out of slots, and also struggles with getting the wallet out of his pocket, and replacing it. I looked on YouTube, and searched the internet a bit, but no joy. Has anyone else had to make an adaptive wallet, or have ideas and insights into this issue?

Sounds like a pull tab wallet would be just the thing for assisting with getting cards out of slots. Not sure what can be done to make it easier to slip in and out of a pocket other than to make sure the exterior has a nice smooth finish. Let us know what else you come up with! 

Pull tabs is a great idea by @Retswerb as long as a wide gap between the pulls, maybe limit to a couple of cards on either side to assist spacing the pulls

Rounding the corners might help getting it in and out of his pockets. 

But honestly I think what would work better for him is to have his wallet in some sort of a pouch/pack, so he can see what he's doing since he can't feel it.  I got to say that this is one time that you really should talk to the recipient.  Maybe you can make up a gift certificate for the wallet and she can give him that and tell him that she wanted him to have a very custom wallet, so he has to be part of the process.

I was watching this the other night:

The left side has card pockets that are too wide for the standard card: this can make them easier to take them out. Also, having the pockets open towards the centre can facilitate card removal by folding the card open along the centre line. Of course, I'm not suggesting you replicate that one wallet, but you could borrow the idea for the pockets' orientation and size.

As for making it easier to remove, maybe adding a dee-ring to which a pull/wrist strap or belt-attached chain can be hooked? :thinking:

Edited by Hardrada

Perhaps an occupational therapist can help, or give you some ideas ? I have done repairs for OT's in the past for patients that have  physical challenges . 

HS

Thank you all for the replies and input. I have passed them along to the customer and asked her for any specific issues that he is having, and to ask about it in a way that he may reply, "If only this was like that, it would be perfect and save me so much trouble!"

Hardrada, that is an EXCELLENT video! Thanks for posting!

Maybe a short strap, like the wrist strap women have on clutch purses  (only smaller) would help with taking it in and out of his pocket.

Oops, Hardrada suggested that already... :thumbsup:

Edited by Sheilajeanne

On 3/13/2021 at 7:36 PM, Hardrada said:

I was watching this the other night:

The left side has card pockets that are too wide for the standard card: this can make them easier to take them out. Also, having the pockets open towards the centre can facilitate card removal by folding the card open along the centre line. Of course, I'm not suggesting you replicate that one wallet, but you could borrow the idea for the pockets' orientation and size.

As for making it easier to remove, maybe adding a dee-ring to which a pull/wrist strap or belt-attached chain can be hooked? :thinking:

Anyone know what type and name of material is used for the strap type material used to make the card holders below the t slots on this video, and where you can buy it

3 hours ago, chrisash said:

Anyone know what type and name of material is used for the strap type material used to make the card holders below the t slots on this video, and where you can buy it

Texon's an artificial card stiffener mostly used in shoemaking. It's usually only stocked in wholesale quantities - in the UK, smaller amounts are available from www.icanmakeshoes.com, in London.

The other materials are Butero Box leather, skived thinner where needed, for example in the turned edges, and a fairly thick standard polyester cloth fabric, we all have our favourite fabric stockists, mine's Dalston Mill Fabrics, on Ridley Road in Dalston, London. It's a short walk from JT Batchelors (London's secret leather suppliers) and William Gee, for haberdashery - they're shut Fridays, shabbat shalom. Ridley Road's the real street market behind Eastenders, in passing.

Thanks @Rahere it was the polyester type material I was interested in , it appeared to be tape with sealed edges ideal for slot wallets but may just have been plain poly just just cut to fit

53 minutes ago, chrisash said:

Thanks @Rahere it was the polyester type material I was interested in , it appeared to be tape with sealed edges ideal for slot wallets but may just have been plain poly just just cut to fit

What he's done is cut an appropriate number of polyester "wraps" to fit, covered the upper raw edge in glued skived leather, then glued the lot together, sewing to reinforce the edges. Before poly, it would have been silk (which continued in the early days of credit cards in top-end goods).

Because all the edges are turned, you could get away with chrome leather, but the life won't be as long. Ideally, kangaroo, because it's both tough and stretchy, but goat would be more realistic at your stage.

I am very jealous of that little skiving machine he has for doing the edges! I really can't imagine being able to skive leather that thin without something like that. Even then, he says 'guess how many times I did that?' (goofed up).