Spyros

Thread buying options

Hey guys, I need some advice on buying thread.

I went to the place that a few people recommended, and then this happened.   Are these guys for real trying to charge me over $200 shipping for $76 worth of thread? LOL

image.thumb.png.d98868a30dc9fd53bbc22dcf9563d541.png

Anyway what other options are there with global shipping and some variety in colours?

Thanks

Spyro

1 hour ago, Constabulary said:

why do you want to order sewing thread overseas? Ya have no thread in down under?   ;)

I find I get better shipping times from something shipped from the North Pole, or the moon, than what I get from Australia post lately.

45 minutes ago, dikman said:

https://www.vardhman.com.au

Have a look at them, they're located in Victoria.

I know, thanks, I think it's the ones Rocky Aussie recommended.  I couldn't figure out their sizes, and mostly I couldn't understand their comment in the bonded polyester section "If the colour you want is not here, please give us a call as we most likely will have it".  Due I don't know what colour I want, I want to see what you have so I can choose LOL

I hate it when people can't be bothered updating their websites, I guess another reason why I prefer shopping from everywhere but Australia.  Most of them seem happy with their existing customers and can't be bothered making the effort to get new ones.

Edited by Spyros

Thread Exchange is in the US, and that explains exorbitant shipping. Besides that their quality of orders (not of the products) is on and off. I have ordered from them, in the past, and gotten wrong threads. After a short back and forth, in which the onus of convincing them that the shipped thread was totally wrong in color, they got their pants in the knot. What begins on a wrong footing, has to end right away. Haven't been ordering from them since. There are too many other sources. And if you are ordering with USPS delivery option, then the last mile will still be Australia post.

I scavenge every factory close-out sale, and I got tons of thread for dirt-cheap, that way. See if you can do that.

7 hours ago, Spyros said:

I went to the place that a few people recommended, and then this happened. 

Seems like you tried to order excellent thread (A&E), you can't go wrong there. But I wonder why you didn't order directly from A&E as they have two distributors in Australia

Distributor A:

Charles Parsons Com P/L A&E Distributor 75 Heyington Avenue Thomastown Melbourne VIC 3074 Australia Phone: +61-3-9380-3600 Toll Free: +61-1800-301894 Contact: David Millard Email: apparel@charlesparsons.com.au Website: www.charlesparsons.com

Distributor B:

Paskal Australia Pyt Ltd A&E Distributor 9A Lakewood Blvd Braeside Victoria Australia 3195 Australia

Phone: +61 3 9588 8800 Fax: +61 3 9583 1699 Contact: DavidClota Email: paskal@paskal.com.au Website: www.paskal.com.au

I hope this helps,

kgg

They use metric sizes (seeing we're in Oz) which can be confusing when this site, being in the US, generally uses #. If you haven't discovered it already there are several sizing "systems" out there, unfortunately. Basically M40 = #69, M20 = #138, M8 = #277. Finding anything heavier isn't easy in Oz. 

Gotcha, thanks guys, this helps a lot.

I guess I'm better off just finding some colour names and start ringing people to see if they have it.

34 minutes ago, dikman said:

They use metric sizes (seeing we're in Oz) which can be confusing when this site, being in the US, generally uses #. If you haven't discovered it already there are several sizing "systems" out there, unfortunately. Basically M40 = #69, M20 = #138, M8 = #277. Finding anything heavier isn't easy in Oz. 

Hey, are you sure about those conversions?  I just called them and they said 277 = M10...

2 hours ago, Spyros said:

Hey, are you sure about those conversions?  I just called them and they said 277 = M10...

This might help some - thread-sizes.jpg

Most of the recommended needle sizes shown above would suit heavy weight leathers in my opinion so for soft leather you may get better results by dropping back a needle size.

This link shows a wider range of thread / needle recommendations  and is often referred to on LW https://www.tolindsewmach.com/thread-chart.html

Edited by RockyAussie

36 minutes ago, RockyAussie said:

This might help some - thread-sizes.jpg

Most of the recommended needle sizes shown above would suit heavy weight leathers in my opinion so for soft leather you may get better results by dropping back a needle size.

This link shows a wider range of thread / needle recommendations  and is often referred to on LW https://www.tolindsewmach.com/thread-chart.html

I'm printing that chart, thank you sir

Aaaaaand now Vardhman's are shut for Xmas, and they're out of stock of all the colours I want anyway, plus with the state of AusPost I'd probably receive it next Xmas.  Back to Etsy and Ebay.

12 hours ago, DrmCa said:

Thread Exchange is in the US, and that explains exorbitant shipping.

Not really though.  I shop from Buckleguy and other US sellers regularly and DHL is usually between USD $60 and $100 depending on the size and weight of the package.  Sometimes I get whole sides shipped for that price.

Edited by Spyros

Just a note to the above chart from RockyAussie . Metric thread sizes are written as just the number like "20" while Far East thread size would be written as "M20". Both the Metric and Far East sizing methods for threads are the same.

kgg

You're right, I got the number wrong (I wrote it from memory, not a good idea for me these days :rolleyes:).

kgg, are you sure about that? The thread I've bought here has always been labelled M***

1 hour ago, dikman said:

kgg, are you sure about that? The thread I've bought here has always been labelled M***

According to the A&E charts the info seems to be correct.

kgg

5-Thread-Size-Comparison-Chart-2-4-10.pdf

11 hours ago, Spyros said:

between USD $60 and $100 

With insurance? It's amazing because that's how much it would cost me to get them across Canada.

On 12/24/2021 at 12:27 AM, DrmCa said:

With insurance? It's amazing because that's how much it would cost me to get them across Canada.

Not sure, I never specifically request insurance, unless it's included by default.

On 12/23/2021 at 1:27 PM, DrmCa said:

I am in eastern Ontario and to ship a 1 lb spool of T-135 (V138) Anefil Nylon directly from A&E located in Toronto cost me $8.50 and if order before noon I get it the next day before noon.

kgg

It's basically like the plumber, you call him in and if he doesn't like the job and doesn't want to do it he gives you an exorbitant price. 

These guys don't want to ship overseas, ok we got it, next shop please.

13 hours ago, kgg said:

1 lb spool

That! I never order less than 1 full case.