• Rank
    Leatherworker
  • Birthday February 12

Profile Information

• Interests
    Art, music, sewing, photography, gardening

LW Info

• Leatherwork Specialty
    Industrial sewing machines since 1980, head mechanic for CC Filson.
  • Interested in learning about
    ironicly, hand sewing, leather carving and stamping
  • How did you find leatherworker.net?
    friend

Recent Profile Visitors

5,766 profile views
  1. We ship machines between factories all the time. We bolt the table to a full size pallet with the head still in the table. We then strap the head to the table with multiple straps and then strap the table to the pallet. We'll shrink wrap the entire thing which does an amazing job at dampening all the vibration. Or course all our factories have fork lifts, but a lift will work for pick up and delivery. Most drivers carry pallet jacks. For pricing we use freightquote.com and the only trucking line we avoid is YRC. Regards, Eric
  2. I still have the parts diagrams, I'll see if I can get them to you in the next day or so. Regards, Eric
  3. For those screws, I use SnapOn screwdrivers that are quite large with a hex head shape on the top of the shaft just below the handle. You can then put a box end wrench on the screwdriver for some serious torque. Those screws are messed up from using screwdrivers that were too small. If you can't find screws, let me know. I have a bunch of them. Regards, Eric
  4. A lot of chirps come from feed dog to throat plate contact. Not a place that gets lubed for obvious reasons. Way to tell is to loosen the throat plate a bit (both screws) and then sew. If it gets quiet, there's your chirp. You can usually fix this by tweaking your feed dogs side to side a bit. Regards, Eric
  5. We still use a 28 stitch tacker for setting belt loops. Nothing better. Regards, Eric
  6. The 269's aren't for the weak of heart. The two air cylinders can be operated off one pedal or two as Wiz described. One cylinder drops the clamp, the other engages the run cycle. If the machine makes stitches and the needle hits the knife, your knife timing is off, not the shuttle timing. When replacing the knife plate, you must engage the first two gears closest to the front of the machine. That sets the knife timing. You can alter the X and Y dimensions of the tack pattern as long as you keep it inside the clamp area. This machine had the cam changed to perform a specific task. Standard 269 trackers were either 28 stitch or 42 stitch. They were the standard of apparel manufacturing for decades. I still use several. Regards, Eric
  7. Our luggage factory uses a similar machine to that one Wiz for setting all the leather straps and buckles on our luggage. It's made by Brother, who seems to be fairly aggressive in their automation work stations. If I recall, the price was less than I thought it would be. I have a Brother memory label setter that sets all of our different labels. It can be set for different sizes in about 10 minutes. It was about 7k and has paid for itself in less than two years. I've always been a firm believer in buying the very best you can afford. I understand this can be tough for hobbyist to justify, but if you're going to make a profit as you know, you really need good reliable machines. Regards, Eric
  8. I bought a Reece 101 keyhole buttonhole machine two years ago. $14,500. And all it does is buttonholes. Really nice ones though. My seam sealing machines for waterproof breathable fabric were 35k each. And I have two of them. The return on investment in a factory happens very quickly though. Regards, Eric
  9. We were shut down all week as is customary in the sewing factory circles. It messes up production in the summer when you have people taking vacations randomly, so the shut downs occur nation wide. It's the same with a lot of the support industries as well since there's no one to talk to anyway. Regards, Eric
  10. In my experience sewing webbing on vertical hook machines creates some different issues that other material. First and foremost, the webbing deflects the needle to the left. Even if your hook is set tight to the scarf of the needle, it deflects to the left and the hook point runs right through your thread. I set all vertical hook machines so that the hook point deflects the needle a bit, then adjust the needle guard on the hook to push the needle to the left enough for the hook point to clear the needle. What that means is that when you sew, your needle guard will deflect your needle to the left. Since your hook point is set for that, the webbing can't deflect your needle far enough for your hook to fray your thread because the needle is already under a little tension which keeps it from deflecting more. You also need a very sharp hook point. (Dull hooks fray thread) As for your hook timing, I generally retard the timing just a bit so that it goes through the scarf of the needle a little lower where the loop from bonded thread is more consistent. Bottom line, even though your hook timing looks good, that needle will deflect to the left. More in webbing than any other material, which means your hook is simply too far away from your needle. Even on regular fabric and leather, frayed thread is usually caused by your hook to needle setting (left/right), or a dull or flat hook point. Have fun! Regards, Eric
  11. In most cases, whatever the size needle your machine was set to, that's ideal. However, you can usually go up a size and down a size without issue, sometimes more. If you have a 20, see how it acts. If it's ok, try an 18. If you reset your hook, pick the needle size you want to use the most. On that machine, I'd set it to an 18 which would allow you to use a 16 and a 20 without issue. Your machine is fairly easy to move the hook closer if you need to. You can download a manual from http://www.consew.com/Resources/ Regards, Eric
  12. If the hook in your machine is set to sew with a size 22 needle, going down to a size 16 will place the hook too far away from the needle. The hook will need to be moved closer to the needle and re-timed. Your hook is simply missing the loop that forms when your needle rises. Regards, Eric
  13. I assume it's still in recovery. He'll send someone to post an update. I crack myself up. Regards, Eric
  14. This happens at least a couple times a week in the factory. Sucks when it's a double needle and you have two jams to deal with. Regards, Eric