David

Sentimental project

This goes to the widow of my best friend in high school. She wanted a nice address book so I made this and a pen for her.

Dave Theobald

IMG_1325.JPG

IMG_1335.JPG

IMG_1336.JPG

IMG_1337.JPG

post-5652-1224434164_thumb.jpg

post-5652-1224434175_thumb.jpg

post-5652-1224434185_thumb.jpg

post-5652-1224434196_thumb.jpg

nice job David, and i like the "propped" photography.

I am sure you'll have a thrilled customer

very cool, ca you show us the inside? How did you make the pen?

Beautiful address book:-)

I'm sure she will be very happy...Tooling is great:-)

Beautiful work, Dave! :thumbsup:

Crystal

Edited by Crystal

very impressive work!! what a wonderful gift.

from your pictures it looks like you had already folded it for the spine before carving...make i ask your process for that? did you groove the other side, and wet it before folding? any help would be appreciated much.

thanks,

ken

Thanks all,

The inside of the leather was grooved to be folded before the tooling was done, I didn't actually fold it until I was nearly done.... I had to wet it a bit to make sure it would close all the way. The inside of the note book is a kip lining about 1oz or so. It is a 6 ring binder .... so it is like the kits that Tandy makes.

Yeah, I made the pen too. I've been pen turning for a couple years. I love the look of different woods combined to make the pens. This one is paduk (dark orange), malee (birdseye grain), and dyed blue curly maple.

Dave

Edited by David

David that is very nice! I have always been impressed with your work.

You made a pen?!?!? thats very cool!

KK

David,

That is some really nice work on both the address book and pen!

:thumbsup:

You are going to have to add another link on your website for everything other than seats.

Johnny

David,

You are going to have to add another link on your website for everything other than seats.

Johnny

Not a bad idea...

David, I know losing your friend was awful, and I think making his wife something special was a nice way to say, "I care." In some situations words can't say what actions do, and when she holds that book and pen, she'll feel the affection that was always there. (I've been widowed twice, I know a little about comfort.) They are both gorgeous, by the way, and I'm sure she'll treasure them.

Hey, I didn't know you made pens either. I knew you did some knives, but not pens. Got any pics to share? hint hint

Johanna

Not a bad idea...

David, I know losing your friend was awful, and I think making his wife something special was a nice way to say, "I care." In some situations words can't say what actions do, and when she holds that book and pen, she'll feel the affection that was always there. (I've been widowed twice, I know a little about comfort.) They are both gorgeous, by the way, and I'm sure she'll treasure them.

Hey, I didn't know you made pens either. I knew you did some knives, but not pens. Got any pics to share? hint hint

Johanna

Hey Johanna,

Thanks for the encouraging words. Everyone is missing Richard terribly. He was like the brother I never had. Actually for the last 40 years, I called him Brother Dick.

The pens are fun to do. Here are a few pics

Dave

IMG_1338.JPG

IMG_1340.JPG

IMG_1341.JPG

IMG_1342.JPG

post-5652-1224501769_thumb.jpg

post-5652-1224501782_thumb.jpg

post-5652-1224501793_thumb.jpg

post-5652-1224501802_thumb.jpg

Dave,

Awesome. I am sure she will cherish them both.

I do not make pens but have bought quite a few custom made pens in my time.

I prefer the slim line models myself. But you collection is terrific!

I'd like to find a custom made pen with a gel insert instead of the Parker type refills.

Allen

Dave,

Awesome. I am sure she will cherish them both.

I do not make pens but have bought quite a few custom made pens in my time.

I prefer the slim line models myself. But you collection is terrific!

I'd like to find a custom made pen with a gel insert instead of the Parker type refills.

Allen

Hey Allen,

The gel pens are out there, but I've never seen a slim line gel. The gel refills are rather fat, hence no slimlines.

Dave

That makes sense Dave.

I think what I like about the gels are they are so smooth.

The Parker inserts do not seem to write as free flowing.

Atleast to me. Thanks for sharing!

Allen

That makes sense Dave.

I think what I like about the gels are they are so smooth.

The Parker inserts do not seem to write as free flowing.

Atleast to me. Thanks for sharing!

Allen

You are absolutely correct, that is the entire purpose of the gels....they are very

smooooooth.

Dave

Dave,

This a truely kind jesture on your part. I'm sorry for your loss. I know that this is a time to put yourself into your leather because the creativity and emotion will flow.

Love the pens. Do you make fountain pens too? Email me please. spiderflesh@att.net

Dave,

Love the book, but have a couple of questions about your pens. What adhesive do you use to join the woods? I've had some problems with the adhesive failing when drilling them out - - I think the heat of the bit gets to them. What are you using for finish? I recently just learned how to use a CA finish, and I really like it.

Thanks,

Alan

Dave,

Love the book, but have a couple of questions about your pens. What adhesive do you use to join the woods? I've had some problems with the adhesive failing when drilling them out - - I think the heat of the bit gets to them. What are you using for finish? I recently just learned how to use a CA finish, and I really like it.

Thanks,

Alan

I use CA for the glue and the finish.

Dave