Sign in to follow this  
Johanna

2007 IFoLG Competition Room

Pour a cup of coffee, there are more than 100 pics here... I'm waiting for my camera to charge up before heading into the guild display room (where the Robb Barr pieces are displayed) so I put this gallery of the competition room together quickly. Here are pics of the 2007 IFoLG Competition Room. Congratulations to our ClayB, yaklady & David Theobald for the first place ribbons!

Johanna

All I can say is I wouldn't even think of entering after seeing the quality and plain coolness of the stuff there lol. I have a ways to go before I do something like that. Gives me something to shoot for tho.

Thanks for posting the pics. It was neat to see all the different styles and coloring tech's.

WOW...thanks for the pics! Now I know I'll never be entering anything EVER!! LOL

Kev

Johanna,

Thanks so much for posting the pics.....and my personal gratitude for getting my entry there.

Dave Theobald

Amazingly talented people, sigh, I've got a looooooooong way to go.

Thanks Johanna, those are some great pics and some very very good work also. My congrats also to ClayB, yaklady & David Theobald.

Ken

We want MORE!! Thanks Johanna!!!! :)

Tim

Ben, wave at me so I know who you are! I'm easy to spot with my Wal Mart purse.

Tim and the rest of you- you want more pics? Here you go!

The pics start off in the vendor area, and I got hung up in the dragon lady's area. I admire Roz Short Kaohn's art very much. I didn't take pics of all the shiny tools...sorry. I saw Barry King tools somewhere, Ron's tools, Hidecrafter & Tandy, Marlin knives (wow!) Artisan sewing machines, Paul Burnett and a dozen more I'm not thinking to mention at the moment.

Walking into the display room where Peter Main's and Robb Barr's work is on display, I tried to take a pic of the guild logo first, so you folks would know what came from where. I tried to stick to it, but it was very crowded. I think I saw a pic or two sideways- I will fix them when I get home, promise. The last few are of the raffle tables and the Silva Fox carving I would like to win tomorrow. It's time for the awards banquet now, and swap meet at 9pm. Later everybody!

Johanna

Thanks for the pics! I wish I could have been there but I've missed Ft Worth and Wichita Falls because I had to leave for Las Vegas. Maybe next year!

Vaya Con Dios, Alan Bell

Won't you help me sing these songs of freedom? Cuz all I ever had....Redemption Songs
Bob Marley - Redemption Songs

Great pics! Who did what? Thanks for posting.

Kate

Thank you very much for the pictures. It makes missing the show a little less dissapointing. Thanks also for the congrats. I would like to say congratulations to Kathy and Dave.

There is a picture on page 7, #190140 and one on page 8, 190167 that look a lot like they could be done by Art and Vera. Any idea if they were?

I am also wondering if anyone has any idea who won the Open to the World competition?

Thanks again for the pictures. Keep 'em coming.

Clay

Edited by ClayB

I know, Kate- the pics need captions...but it's going to have to wait until we drive to home sweet home Ohio.

Johanna

Johanna. Thank you very much for the pictures

There is a picture on page 7, #190140 and one on page 8, 190167 that look a lot like they could be done by Art and Vera. Any idea if they were?

Clay

Clay. Thanks that drawings have noticed. There were three.

Johanna,

Thanks for posting all those absolutely wonderful pictures!

I'm in awe! Just amazed! It took about 3 cups of coffee and 2 smoke breaks to view all that.

Very inspiring!

Congrats to the winners! What wonderful work you have done.

I wish we had pre-arranged a time/place to meet up - i would have enjoyed meeting you Johanna, and any others that were there. thanks for all the pics... it looks like you got individual pics of all the entries- what a great thing for those that missed. I took some pics, but not of many individual peices... i will get them developed (yeah, i still use film), and if i have any that look like they would add to the topic, will add them.

For those that say this convinces them to not enter, think again... There is really great stuff there, but it is really a mix - some people are obviously newer crafters than others but its a great experience for anybody. It is inspiring to see that what you did "stacks up" with other crafters, and at the same time it is challenging to see your work alongside some amazing stuff... all in all, it is well worth it.

robert

Some really nice stuff. I was caught in the "ah" state many times.

Dave your a luck man. I Indian leg wrestled with Johanna for your seat. She's a lot stronger then she looks. ClayB,,,,well sorry to tell you Kathy couldn't hang and i've got your stuff. Well it wasn't really that she could not of beat me. She just said take it, there's no way i'm wrestling with you. :crazy:

It was great seeing all this stuff first hand. It was also great to see the tools from the diff vender's. Wow what a difference !! It was great to meet a few of you in person and look forward to seeing ya at the next one.

Hey Freak,

I am glad you had a good time at the show. I dont believe you about my pictures though. I am pretty sure that both Kathy and Johanna would have fought you for my pictures, and if they were both there at the same time, you didn't stand a chance. But if I dont see them in the mail in a week or two, and have to come looking, your place will be my second stop!

Forgot to mention, one of those pictures is supposed to be on it's way to Kate in Kansas, and another one is already in my will, to go to Charley if I ever fall off a roof at work, so if I have to come looking, I'll be bringing friends!

Clay

Edited by ClayB

I was also awe struck at the show. So many wonderful pieces, so much dedication and time. Amazing. Not only the work, but the Tools...The time it must take for these guys to hand make this stuff, WOW. I bought a few tools from the show, and am extremely happy with my purchases. I have one more that I'm waiting on to be shipped. So many nice people attended the show, I found myself talking to a lot of folks.

Clay B, I don't think I have words for your work. Simply amazing, sorry you couldn't make it to the show. The Robb Barr display was outstanding and inspiring. I hope to one day get up to the level of carving I saw at the show.

Johanna, it was a pleasure meeting you, you do a great job running this place.

Marlon

Thanks to Johanna and all for posting pictures from the show.

But for any of you that were there????? I've always been awestruck by Peter Mains work, especially the necklaces. The pictures he takes of them are truly beautiful and I have always wondered how they would actually look eyeball to leather? His skill at leather artistry, not withstanding, he has considerable skills at presentation and photography.

Hi Marlon,

I am glad you had a good time at the show. Thanks for the nice comments on my work. Thing is, I would never have gotten to the point I am at with my carving if it were not for people that I have met at shows like that one. All the people you meet at these shows, from beginner to master are really nice people, and willing to share whatever they can. It's easy to get intimidated when you look at the things Robb Barr did, or Peter Main, Paul Burnett, and so many others are doing. But once you get past the "Wow, I could never do anything like that" and study how they do things, ask them questions, take their classes, read their books, you will improve a LOT! Bruce Johnson mentions doing things "outside his comfort zone". I think that's important too if you want to improve. You have to try new things. If it doesn't turn out the first time, it's not a failure, it's a learning experience. Going to shows like this has been a great way to make new friends, and get inspiration and encouragment. Sounds like this one was no different.

We just got back from Ft. Worth last night. To answer Clays question, Peter Main won the world compition with an Angel picture, it was really awsome. My son Riley won the Junior Divison with a 1st place with a checkbook cover he did. I took a 1st place in the advanced division with a carved Portfoilo. We had a great time.

I would like to comment on someone's comment that they would never show because they were intemidated. Everyone should show. You learn so much by showing that it is worth it. I compete not with everyone else but with myself. I try to do better than I did the year before. The show will be in Indianapolis, In next year, everyone who works leather should try to enter something. You will be glad you did. You get to go in the show room and look at everyone elses work. You get so many ideas of how things are done simply by looking at others work. All you have to do to show is join a leather guild. There are 3 levels, open class, advanced class and masters. In each level there are many different class to compete in. Pictures, cases, holsters,pocket items, etc. Look at the International Federation of Leather Guilds web site and you can look at the classes etc.

I enjoy going every year and seeing the people that I only get to see at the show or Sheridan. I wish I knew Johann was there so I could have met her. Maybe next time.

Randy

Thanks for the advice Clay. I am definitely trying to expand my comfort zone. Right now that is color dying. I really like the idea of dying the leather, rather than coating it with the covas. Dying takes a lot of work to get it just right. One of these days....,

Anyway, I will definitely continue my pursuit. I love working with leather and people seem to like my work. Hopefully that will continue.

Marlon.

Nice seeing the pictures. wish I could have been there. Looks like the talent is really stacking up. I am glad to see more skulls and flames in the competition this year. Congrats to all the winners.