benfanman

Top 3 Leather Project Ideas

Hey there,

So, I don't know about you all, but I can only make so many wallets and cardholders before it gets stale. I was just wondering what folks on here have as their top three leather project ideas that they like to make. Would be very interested in possibly making some of the suggestions (especially if you have a pattern handy)! 

I make holsters, belts, knife sheaths, and gun bags.

Whenever I "get in a rut" so to speak . . . I just go braid a billfold . . . or make a billfold.  It usually cures any bad feeling I had earlier . . . then I toss the billfold and I feel better.

Seriously . . . I enjoy what I do . . . with some added stuff. . . I do a little bit of bead work here and there . . . or paint an image on a holster . . . or just make a new type/style  of holster.

May God bless,

Dwight

new beads.jpg

USMC beaded.jpg

hawk.jpg

Are you producing items to sell?

For I just make what I need or want: Dog collars, checkbook cover, belt buckles, leashes, bags, watch bracelet - and generally only one, or as many as necessary to get one I want to use. No risk of getting stale, but I admit that it is not as easy to improve as with making a dozen similar items. 

Belts are my first choice. Not so much plain ones, but tooled, carved, and one-off's adding my own individuality to each piece.

If I have time, hand bags, would be my second choice, once again, adding my own individuality to each one. 

And thirdly, I make stubby holders ( you call them coolies?) . But  the ones I make have the can logo cut out, brand name beers etc.  , and put into the leather , and the leather is either plain, tooled or carved.

HS

I mainly do holsters, but do make carved / stamped book marks to keep up the practice in that area.  Usually from scraps and give to family and friends.  I also normally keep a stack of rounders around to carve /stamp for coaster sets.  I also do book / bible covers.  I really enjoy the design aspect then making it come alive when applying to the leather.  Good luck.

I just practice stamping and carving on scraps if I don't have a project, or make an extra sheath for an existing knife for practice, or for a new knife.  Working toward making the western gunbelt.

I make a bunch of key fobs with military insignia's on them and give them to vets that I run into. It satisfying and then when I go back to sheaths I feel better . 

11 hours ago, Bert03241 said:

I make a bunch of key fobs with military insignia's on them and give them to vets that I run into. It satisfying and then when I go back to sheaths I feel better . 

What a cool idea.  Good on you!

Journal covers are a great way to experiment.  You can do them plain, stamped or carved, whatever floats your boat.  It is also fun to work out ways to provide pen loops and pockets.  And you can make them in all sorts of sizes from ones that'll fit in your pocket to larger ones that fit legal pads.  

I make things for myself or if someone asks me to make something.  It’s been mostly gun stock covers, belts, coasters, next project will either be suspenders or another stock cover.