fredk

Fred's ramblings

3 hours ago, fredk said:

See who the ambulance driver is?

I had a second look at it, and no, I don't recognize him. IMBd doesn't say who it is, either.  Who is it? (Other than the monster in disguise...)

Edited by Sheilajeanne

07.50,  I think its yer man wot was in Ghostbusters,  Dan Aykroyd ?

Hmmm...you could be right, but I'm not that familiar with Aykroyd. I checked his older photos on IMDB, and it does look a lot like him. However, could also be Nick Cravat, who played the monster: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0186576/mediaviewer/rm3078854657/  Why would they hire a second person just for that very short speaking part?

Edited by Sheilajeanne

That's definitely Dan Akroyd, but that must have been edited in by somebody.  He would have been around 10 years old when that episode came out, and there also wouldn't have been a cassette player at the time.  

- Bill

Billybop, true, dat! The whole episode has had some editing done. The main complaint about it originally was the gremlin looked like a teddy bear - the costume was all wrong, even for the 1960's. They edited out the scenes that showed the teddy bear costume, and changed the face to make it scarier - and also colorized it!  Here's the original: https://dustinkoski.medium.com/the-accidental-lesson-of-nightmare-at-20-000-feet-ec0246c936a

Right now in my part of west Oz, we're have extreme temps...again,  its now 46 C in the shade, around 115-ish F, higher in some places .Just figured out a good way   to keep my furry friend, my dog,  hydrated. Cold water from the fridge  in her food bowl, and a few   dog bikkies in  the cold water. Not only does she get a snack, but also a cold water drink fishing them out. :specool: << pardon the pun :)

HS

She also likes cold  watermelon :) Same temps today :blush:

HS

@Handstitched, have you tried giving her plain pieces of ice? My dog loves to crunch on them in summer. It's a game for her to chase it around on the floor.

Edited by SUP

On 1/28/2024 at 11:39 AM, fredk said:

Has anyone else noticed that chrome tan leather dulls blade fast? I put a new blade in my strap cutter and used it to cut 2.2ml chrome tan. I got 6 straps 75cm long and 2/3 of 7th and the blade was dull wouldn't no more 

Never noticed. Change in cutting surface ?

On 1/16/2024 at 2:42 PM, Frodo said:

IMG_3161.jpeg.9a75f854a61a82c3b1c051fd3741a87e.jpeg

Looks like the leather beneath has a fur coat. And the pricking iron has feet.

On 2/2/2024 at 10:02 PM, SUP said:

have you tried giving her plain pieces of ice?

Occasionally, but she just leaves a wet mess on the floor , same with the occasional piece of carrot, a few crunches and leaves the rest.

HS

Dogs have individual personalities which are as unique as us humans, don't they? My dog loves ice and carrots and chomps up both, leaving nothing for me to find. 

The only thing she doesn't like is her kibble - no matter which I get her. So now I make her food - everyone laughs about it - I spend more time making her food than I ever have spent on making ours!

My cats were the same - one loved mushrooms more than chicken and another had to have sliced tomatoes for breakfast year in, year out all her life. Also sweet corn soup and papaya! The same cat loved an Indian fast food called Sevpuri so much, it was the only time she ate from my plate when I was distracted. The dish is vegan - not that I knew it then!

This is the Mark 2. Longer straps, two less of them and holes top and bottom. I left it with a couple of ladies last week. This week I'll find out how they got on with it

My Yarn ball, straps. mk.2, 01LWs.jpg 

Edited by fredk

It still reminds me of 'Joe 90', lol.

I'll have to show you  my little woolly device(?)  It basically separates the wool when plying , or for knitting two colours at the same time. 

HS 

On 2/4/2024 at 8:46 PM, Handstitched said:

Occasionally, but she just leaves a wet mess on the floor , same with the occasional piece of carrot, a few crunches and leaves the rest.

HS

This one family had bought a fridge with an icemaker, one of the fancy ones where you could acess both ice and cold water from the front of the fridge. After they'd had it awhile, and the weather got really hot, the wife was complaining about the kids leaving a mess on the floor when they got a cold drink. Sometimes there were even a few ice cubes on the floor.

The kids kept denying it, and things were getting rather tense.

Then, one day she came into the kitchen and caught the REAL culprit in the act. Their dog had figured out how to activate the mechanism to get himself a nice, cold drink! :lol:

On 2/20/2024 at 3:24 PM, Sheilajeanne said:

Then, one day she came into the kitchen and caught the REAL culprit in the act. Their dog had figured out how to activate the mechanism to get himself a nice, cold drink

One very smart dog :yes:

This is my 5,000 posting!

Can you believe that I waffle on so much?

I made this sort-of pouch for a handled-magnifying glass a couple of weeks ago. Part of dottir's archy kit

Magnifier case, 01LWs.jpg

Magnifier case, 02LWs.jpg

(I need practice!)

That's cool, Fred!  :yes:

3 hours ago, fredk said:

This is my 5,000 posting!

Can you believe that I waffle on so much?

I made this sort-of pouch for a handled-magnifying glass a couple of weeks ago. Part of dottir's archy kit

Magnifier case, 01LWs.jpg

Magnifier case, 02LWs.jpg

(I need practice!)

Why is a magnifying glass part of her archery kit?

archy kit = archaeology kit.  I'm too lazy and I can't spell archaeology

46 minutes ago, fredk said:

archy kit = archaeology kit.  I'm too lazy and I can't spell archaeology

Ahhhh, that makes much more sense. I also read the “-er-“ into “archy”.

2 hours ago, Mablung said:

Ahhhh, that makes much more sense. I also read the “-er-“ into “archy”.

Me three!! :lol:

Finished this today; a dice cup for no.1 dottir. For her D&D gaming. 

1. it had to be small cos it has to fit inside her choccy Easter egg and 2. it had to be finished this week as she is flying over at the weekend

I've been making the choccy Easter eggs for xxx years. No.1 son always says  he doesn't want one then he asks "Where's mine?"  I always put a wee gift inside so this year I thought I'd do No.1 dottir a dice cup and some dice. Next is to make the eggs

8cm tall x 5cm diameter

Kitty's snake skin dice cup. 01LWs.jpg

Edited by fredk

On March 19th I suddenly went into hospital with a bad case of Shingles. 14 days of strong antibiotics given IV
I only got out and home on April 5th at 17.00
I had no phone or computer connection
During all the checks made on me it was discovered I have a problem with my eyes and I need to get some ops on them

I started laser treatment on Tuesday

I also have to get injections into the eyes

All this may take 2 years to put my eyes right

Thank goodness for our National Health Service (NHS) as the injections alone cost £1800 each and I need several
Some leatherwork is restricted for me foreseeable future but I'm getting my supplies tidied and sorted

6 minutes ago, fredk said:

On March 19th I suddenly went into hospital with a bad case of Shingles. 14 days of strong antibiotics given IV
I only got out and home on April 5th at 17.00
I had no phone or computer connection
During all the checks made on me it was discovered I have a problem with my eyes and I need to get some ops on them

I started laser treatment on Tuesday

I also have to get injections into the eyes

All this may take 2 years to put my eyes right

Thank goodness for our National Health Service (NHS) as the injections alone cost £1800 each and I need several
Some leatherwork is restricted for me foreseeable future but I'm getting my supplies tidied and sorted

Looks like you're going through it Fred. And yes, hurray for the NHS for all it's faults. I won't say at least there's light at the end of the tunnel.