A friend asked if I could come up with a cover for his old pulaski. It's been in the family a while. I connected the 2 parts with bungie cord to keep them together and also to hold them in place. He wanted no frills, so just an atom wax finish on natural leather.

20220717_121346.jpg

20220717_121247.jpg

Okay, I was today years old when I learned what a Pulaski was!

For a moment there, I was thinking a political post had escaped from 'Off Topic'!! :lol:

Nice, clean job!

Great job! I love a project with a practical purpose. Well done.

well done.  great job on the stitching as well.  should last a few more generations, thanks to you.

Neat design.  Smart looking piece of work.

Nice work for a good old tool.  I do have a question about using bungee material.  I have an old Forest Service double bit axe that someone used bungee on, circa 1975.  It has lost all it's elasticity and has been tied off like a rope, with the outside fabric doing the work.  Now that I think about it I am going to replace the bungee with leather belting and a buckle.  Just a thought.

God bless

Mike

The good old Pulaski! My father had one of  those -- he worked for the US Forest Service, and sometimes worked on forest fires.
It looks like that one could use some polish to match the beauty of the leather cover for it! 

11 minutes ago, MikeRock said:

Now that I think about it I am going to replace the bungee with leather belting and a buckle.  Just a thought.

Girth straps incorporate heavy elastic webbing like this sewn to leather chapes.  https://www.weaverleathersupply.com/c/product/elastic_webbing_green_1__6100_gr/6100-gr?search=true  Another way to go.

that is really nice!! 

This is a bit like what we call a mattock over here. like a pick axe but with blades instead of points.

Thanks guys. We have mattocks over here as well. The pulaski was designed by (wait for it)Big Ed Pulaski in 1910 as tool to help make fire breaks when fighting forest fires.  Some debate ongoing with that.. I thought about a strap and buckle as well, but, in the end the bungee won out for lack of a proper size buckle.

I had to look to find out what the heck a "Pulaski" is.:lol: Nice neat job, as for the bungee cord it's a simple effective solution without messing around with buckles. Once it loses its bungeeness it will be simple, and cheap, to replace.