I am curious about the Consew 2050 sewing machines.

I've owned a few Consews over the years (Seikos made in Japan).  And I'm curious about the current model 2050.    The price tag on the new machines seems pretty high, (compared to some imports) leading me to wonder if these 2050s are made in Japan?  Are they made in Japan or China?  If they're Chinese are they same machines sold by Weaver/etc and just painted blue?  Anyone have any thoughts on these machines?

Have you considered a 'Cowboy 4500' or another brand and compared costs? 

HS

Isn't the Consew 2050 a clone of an Adler 205 where the Cowboy 4500 is a clone of the Juki 441?

glenn

5 hours ago, shoepatcher said:

Isn't the Consew 2050 a clone of an Adler 205 where the Cowboy 4500 is a clone of the Juki 441?

glenn

Glenn,your close,the upper part looks like an Adler BUT the lower is like a 441,Weaver tried them years ago & ended up sending them back to Consew they had some problems with them IDK if has been resolved it yet or not.

Interesting Bob....

Handstitched I am mostly just curious.  I'd pick up another machine to have if I could get a quality machine made in Germany/Japan  Just looking at the Consew 2050 as I feel like there is a chance it's not made in China.  Wasn't too long ago they sold Seiko stitchers with a Consew label. I can still order Juki 441's but I never was real fond of them.  I do have Adlers including a 205 currently.

8 minutes ago, Cumberland Highpower said:

Interesting Bob....

Handstitched I am mostly just curious.  I'd pick up another machine to have if I could get a quality machine made in Germany/Japan  Just looking at the Consew 2050 as I feel like there is a chance it's not made in China.  Wasn't too long ago they sold Seiko stitchers with a Consew label. I can still order Juki 441's but I never was real fond of them.  I do have Adlers including a 205 currently.

Is there a quality issue with sewing machines made in China?

I thought all of the 441 clones were made in China.  I've never heard anything bad about them.

1 hour ago, sbrownn said:

Is there a quality issue with sewing machines made in China?

I thought all of the 441 clones were made in China.  I've never heard anything bad about them.

Really? You must be joking? 

Edited by Cumberland Highpower

Bob,

Actually Weaver got the Weaver 2050  thru Atlanta Attachment.  Golden Wheel made them.  They sent 40 some back because of problems.  The whole thing was a real shit show for Weaver. By the way, Allen

Burkholder has retire from Weaver effective July24th.  On his own.

glenn

16 hours ago, Cumberland Highpower said:

Really? You must be joking? 

Nope

I suggest you do a little asking around about the Cowboy and Cobra machines so many people on this website own.

No thanks.  I'm not a fan of Chinese imports.  Not really looking to contribute $14 to the next Chinese Aircraft Carrier either.....

If you already own one that's ok.  Nobody is judging you here, we're all friends.

1 hour ago, Cumberland Highpower said:

No thanks.  I'm not a fan of Chinese imports.  Not really looking to contribute $14 to the next Chinese Aircraft Carrier either.....

If you already own one that's ok.  Nobody is judging you here, we're all friends.

"I'm not a fan of Chinese imports."

You mean all of them regardless of their quality?

Nobody is judging you here, we're all friends.

2 hours ago, Cumberland Highpower said:

It's good to think that way but you must not spend much money on anything, cause every store in America is loaded with Chinese stuff. it's hard to go shopping for anything but food and not come home with something from China.

2 hours ago, sbrownn said:

"I'm not a fan of Chinese imports."

You mean all of them regardless of their quality?

Nobody is judging you here, we're all friends.

Where is all this Chinese quality you speak of?  I never heard anyone say "I want a good one, I'll buy Chinese."   

1 hour ago, bladegrinder said:

It's good to think that way but you must not spend much money on anything, cause every store in America is loaded with Chinese stuff. it's hard to go shopping for anything but food and not come home with something from China.

I don't have a single Chinese machine or tool in my shop, either shop.   Yes some things are unavoidable to a degree, like a Chinese made bearing here or there hidden away from sight, etc.  Chinese chemicals and materials used to some degree etc.  When I have a choice I take the better option.  

I asked if the Consew 2050 was made in Japan (Not unrealistic question, given many Consews were/are made in Japan).  Japanese made machinery is nearly always top shelf in design and build quality, so why shouldn't I ask?

I didn't want to start a discussion about why I don't want to buy Chinese goods.   I don't like China's business model, human rights abuse, industrial espionage, poor quality of export goods and militaristic bullying of everyone.

I guess I'll pass on the Consew 2050 interest and look for something else to supplement my works.   I wrote consew last week and they neglected to reply as yet, I guess that sums it up.

Bladegrinder that's a real defeatist view of life.  Im guessing you make knives based on your user handle?   Suppose everyone went to dollar tree and Walmart and bought those cheap blades?  What's wrong with Chinese blades?  You'd probably be out of work or at best you'd had to find another hobby.

12 minutes ago, Cumberland Highpower said:

Where is all this Chinese quality you speak of?  I never heard anyone say "I want a good one, I'll buy Chinese."   

Back in 2010 my buddy Doug, for who I worked as a sideman/sewer, upgraded his sewing operation with a Cobra Class 4; a Chinese built Juki 441 clone. Aside from swapping out the digital servo motor for an analog model, and remembering to oil it, the machine has performed flawlessly ever since. He uses it almost every day to sew items he sells online.

One year later, in 2011, I started sewing my own orders at home and bought a new Chinese built Cowboy CB4500. I also swapped out the digital motor for an analog (Family Sew) motor. It too has performed flawlessly ever since. It is now in my leather shop and is used on a daily basis to sew holsters, sheathes, gunbelts and even to hem chaps.

I also have numerous industrial black body Singer sewing machines and a gray German Adler. In the past I've owned two Union Lockstitch machines, which I sold off because they were too finicky. My deduction is that there are quality machines built all over the World if you look in the right places.

48 minutes ago, Cumberland Highpower said:

Bladegrinder that's a real defeatist view of life

Defeatist way of life? I don't know how you come up with that. I was saying you must not shop for anything other than food because most stores in America are full of Chinese stuff. I'm typing on an HP laptop now, made in China, controlled by a mouse, made in china, while watching an LG TV, made in china.

There's evil everywhere in the world, you like Japanese, read up on what they did to the Chinese in the 30s and early 40s. America rebuilt them. I like to buy American too but sadly our quality in a lot of things are junk.

I've had American trucks all my life and would never buy an import, I don't care where it was made but if I'm in a Walmart looking for a coffee maker and their all made in China what am I supposed to do,

go to my Apple phone made in China and Google where to buy an American made coffee maker? I'm THERE man...and I WANT a coffee maker!

As far as me going out of work from people buying knives at Walmart, that's not going to happen. people will always buy what they can afford, just like high end cars, clothes, electronics and everything else.

if someone want's a high quality handmade knife made in America and they can afford it they can buy one of mine. just like buying a leather belt made in China or upping their game and buying a handmade belt like lots of folks here make.

I´m sure when the machine does not clearly state made in Japan - then it is is not made in Japan. Buy a Dürkopp-Adler and it most likely will be made in the Czech Republic in the Minerva Plant (top Quality BTW). Even some JUKIs come form China I have read somewhere.

China not my preferred "source" for goods but as mentioned before - you cannot run away from it. And I bought a lot of CHICOM sewing machine spare parts and have to say the quality in most of the cases was really top - way better that expected for the price.

Edited by Constabulary

Well this has turned into something I didn't expect ?  :dunno:

My 441 clone was made O/S , I bought it from a supplier in QLD Australia,  never had any issues since I bought it in 2005, touch wood  . The only thing that has gone wrong is the operator,   Ha !!   :) 

HS 

Edited by Handstitched

Bladegrinder I find allot of Electronic goods sold under the Panasonic name are made in Japan or countries other than China.  I tend to buy Panasonic for this reason when I have time to shop. (for example my tv and laptop are Japanese)   I generally avoid Walmart except when I need some bread and I'm in town. 

I have a throw away type phone from Dollar General and it's made in Malaysia. (Probably less Chinese).

well, it´s not impossible to buy and run American made sewing machines only - you have to look for them, maybe travel, and sometimes have to rebuild them. But they for sure al will be vintage. I for a reason only use vintage Singer sewing machines (made in the US, UK and Germany). But when it comes to certain spare parts China is the only source for spares (at least for me living on the other side of the pond + BREXIT). Some parts are interchangeable with non Chinese Brands (always a big pleasure for me to figure that) like some older Dürkopps and CLAES are based on Singer - even some Pfaffs are using Singer based parts (very few but still)...

But thats a different story ;)

If you want SEIKO machines look for a SEIKO dealer in the US (scroll down here)

https://www.seiko-sewing.co.jp/en/worldwidenetwork/

But I´m not sure if all SEIKO´s are still made in Japan ;)

Edited by Constabulary

8 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

Back in 2010 my buddy Doug, for who I worked as a sideman/sewer, upgraded his sewing operation with a Cobra Class 4; a Chinese built Juki 441 clone. Aside from swapping out the digital servo motor for an analog model, and remembering to oil it, the machine has performed flawlessly ever since. He uses it almost every day to sew items he sells online.

One year later, in 2011, I started sewing my own orders at home and bought a new Chinese built Cowboy CB4500. I also swapped out the digital motor for an analog (Family Sew) motor. It too has performed flawlessly ever since. It is now in my leather shop and is used on a daily basis to sew holsters, sheathes, gunbelts and even to hem chaps.

I also have numerous industrial black body Singer sewing machines and a gray German Adler. In the past I've owned two Union Lockstitch machines, which I sold off because they were too finicky. My deduction is that there are quality machines built all over the World if you look in the right places.

It's good you've had sucess with your purchases.  

I've heard many complaints over the years about the UL machines, but I've never seen it   I have a pair I run 6 mo out of the year (Cold months) and I've never had to replace much of anything on them I can remember, they're quite tight machines still   (I think years ago a thread lock?)   Never had one go out of adjustment either.   I think the UL machines were designed for items that were generally of a constant nature, thickness/etc.     I believe the people who have problems have used worn out machines and don't realize it.

11 minutes ago, Cumberland Highpower said:

Bladegrinder I find allot of Electronic goods sold under the Panasonic name are made in Japan or countries other than China.  I tend to buy Panasonic for this reason when I have time to shop. (for example my tv and laptop are Japanese)   I generally avoid Walmart except when I need some bread and I'm in town. 

I have a throw away type phone from Dollar General and it's made in Malaysia. (Probably less Chinese).

10 minutes ago, Constabulary said:

well, it´s not impossible to buy and run American made sewing machines only - you have to look for them, maybe travel, and sometimes have to rebuild them. But they for sure al will be vintage. I for a reason only use vintage Singer sewing machines (made in the US, UK and Germany). But when it comes to certain spare parts China is the only source for spares (at least for me living on the other side of the pond + BREXIT). Some parts are interchangeable with non Chinese Brands (always a big pleasure for me to figure that) like some older Dürkopps and CLAES are based on Singer - even some Pfaffs are using Singer based parts (very few but still)...

But thats a different story ;)

If you want SEIKO machines look for a SEIKO dealer in the US (scroll down here)

https://www.seiko-sewing.co.jp/en/worldwidenetwork/

But I´m not sure if all SEIKO´s are still made in Japan ;)

Constabulary here in the US we have something you might not have in Germany?  Auctions.   It I attend an auction I can buy machinery often times for cheap.  I think I paid $200 for my best UL machine.   Paid $20 for a Brother BAS 341 Programmable stitcher last month that works great.   Sometimes I buy new when I am in the itch for it, but rarely.