Talisien

Two leather folios

I made these two folios not so long ago. They have been very nice to have about and are strong and protective. 

The larger one is for an A4 document folder, the smaller one is for an A5 visual diary.

They were both made for personal use in a creative storm. :crazy:

Veg tan leather, stained with an 'antique' oil then kangaroo lacing edges using a round braid.

Both were then pyrographed and painted with iridescent paint. This paint is super fun. Changes in appearance depending on the direction of the light source. 

folio-1.jpg

folio-2.jpg

folio-3.jpg

folio-4.jpg

folio-5.jpg

folio-6.jpg

folio-7.jpg

folio-8.jpg

folio-9.jpg

Wow, really unique!  Did you use a laser or an iron for the pyrography?

YinTx

48 minutes ago, YinTx said:

Wow, really unique!  Did you use a laser or an iron for the pyrography?

YinTx

Thank you :) Just a simple soldering iron. 

4 minutes ago, Talisien said:

Thank you :)Just a simple soldering iron. 

Even better!  I have some cool pyrography on wood done using a soldering iron.

YinTx

those are beautiful. I love that lacing especially.

4 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

those are beautiful. I love that lacing especially.

Thank you :) lacing can be quite therapeutic with the right material :lol: kangaroo is particularly strong and flexible. The local tanneries sell it at a good price. Is it readily available your way?

Really nice !  What does it say on the scroll ?

1 minute ago, Gezzer said:

Really nice !  What does it say on the scroll ?

Thank you. Scroll message was my motto when I was on the joust field. Was a bit of a statement about where courage did and did not come from. 
the Latin is ‘virtus corde vivet’ and translates approx to ‘virtue lives in the heart’. 
At the time it was fairly difficult to get a fair go in the sport as a female. Not just Australian but also in many eastern block countries where comps were held and invites sent from. I had a good friend who was not only an excellent travel companion to some of these countries but was also a avid Latin enthusiast. He helped me give the motto just enough gender bias so I also felt I had a voice. 
long of the short :rockon:

31 minutes ago, Talisien said:

Thank you :) lacing can be quite therapeutic with the right material :lol: kangaroo is particularly strong and flexible. The local tanneries sell it at a good price. Is it readily available your way?

i wish it were, not many roos in Wyoming lol. Elk and deer here.

Just now, chuck123wapati said:

i wish it were, not many roos in Wyoming lol. Elk and deer here.

:lol: yes. I did just try to answer my own question re roo lacing by reading another thread. This forum is a dragons hoard. Thank you to all for the hard work that has made it so infinite. 
interesting that it has become less available in the US. Must be political???

There really are a lot of kangaroos here so no other reason than the emotional aspect for the product to not be exported?

2 hours ago, Talisien said:

:lol: yes. I did just try to answer my own question re roo lacing by reading another thread. This forum is a dragons hoard. Thank you to all for the hard work that has made it so infinite. 
interesting that it has become less available in the US. Must be political???

There really are a lot of kangaroos here so no other reason than the emotional aspect for the product to not be exported?

It's available here in the US.

beautiful work:yes:

13 hours ago, Talisien said:

Thank you. Scroll message was my motto when I was on the joust field. Was a bit of a statement about where courage did and did not come from. 
the Latin is ‘virtus corde vivet’ and translates approx to ‘virtue lives in the heart’. 
At the time it was fairly difficult to get a fair go in the sport as a female. Not just Australian but also in many eastern block countries where comps were held and invites sent from. I had a good friend who was not only an excellent travel companion to some of these countries but was also a avid Latin enthusiast. He helped me give the motto just enough gender bias so I also felt I had a voice. 
long of the short :rockon:

Thanks , I could not make it out but it turns out it wouldn't have mattered ...... I'm barely  fluent  in English let alone Latiin :lol:  

Very nice motto and sounds like you used it very well !!!!! Again nice work .

14 hours ago, sbrownn said:

It's available here in the US.

Good to know. I have a vague memory of a ‘kangaroo cull’ outrage in the USA media that effectively shut down the export of anything here. 

3 hours ago, Bert03241 said:

beautiful work:yes:

Thank you :)

2 hours ago, Gezzer said:

Thanks , I could not make it out but it turns out it wouldn't have mattered ...... I'm barely  fluent  in English let alone Latiin :lol:  

Very nice motto and sounds like you used it very well !!!!! Again nice work .

yep. I would have struggled too.
Latin is a hellova (is that even a word) language. :blink:

Takes a special kinda someone to really enjoy its modern use.
Plenty of academic insults that can be funny to the sarcastically inclined. 

Have a great weekend :thumbsup:

12 hours ago, Northmount said:

Available here in Alberta Canada, but expensive roughly $1CAN per foot.  https://www.longviewleather.com/kangaroo-lace/  Don't want to make too many mistakes at this price.

Premium price :blink: 

Interesting what can be taken for granted. Other than stripping up the very occasional bovine or pig for a particular project, I don’t think I have ever used anything else.

I have a suitcase full of the stuff. Sometimes you will find large amounts of it in second hand shops after a hopeful creative has abandoned the craft. 

Have a great weekend

:)