Sign in to follow this  
JMAK74

Mounting Leather Tooling/Stamping/Dyeing

Hello - I've read that for tooling/stamping (to prevent stretching), and even dyeing (to prevent shrink) one can mount to cardboard (not corrugate) or other firm surface using contact cement. What I can't seem to find clarity on is do you apply the contact cement and let dry to both the mounting service and the leather? I suspect yes, and will test, but wanted some experience from the forum to help me out. if you do use on both surfances, how do you remove the contact cement residue off the back of the leather?

Thank you

JMAK74

Not contact cement!    " rubber cement ".  IMHO    

Also, I've had luck applying tape to the back of the leather, and rubber cement to the back of the tape, and then to the card board/matt board.  Easier to separate later, just have to peel the tape, no rubber cement stuck to the leather.  Best to use like blue painters tape.

17 hours ago, Samalan said:

Not contact cement!    " rubber cement ".  IMHO    

Perfect - sounds like I got to pick this up now!

16 hours ago, YinTx said:

Also, I've had luck applying tape to the back of the leather, and rubber cement to the back of the tape, and then to the card board/matt board.  Easier to separate later, just have to peel the tape, no rubber cement stuck to the leather.  Best to use like blue painters tape.

thanks - should have some blue painters tape to put in the leather kit! now to try some dyeing and stamping tests

On 11/14/2022 at 4:18 PM, JMAK74 said:

thanks - should have some blue painters tape to put in the leather kit! now to try some dyeing and stamping tests

not blue tape!! the blue tape will not stay on the back of the damp leather - not sticky enough
clear packing tape works better for this application

I used blue tape and never have a issue with it not sticking. I put it on before casing the leather.

3 hours ago, BlackDragon said:

I used blue tape and never have a issue with it not sticking. I put it on before casing the leather.

Plus one on the blue tape, never had an issue with it not sticking. In fact, I had one brand (I don't recall the name) that was very difficult to remove.

Blue painters tape is the easiest way to do it. Keep in mind that there are variations of the blue tape, some are more adhesive than others. I have never had an issue when using it.