Danotriglide

Manual machine

The machines are designed to sew a max 3” line in order to patch a shoe, Ot was not designed to sew a purse or to make a leather vest.

In all honesty, It was the best $120.0 I ever spent. Not on sewing leather but the education I received on how a machine works how a bobbin works was well worth more than I paid

little advice for Chi chi patcher owners 

use your chisels to punch your holes 

adjust your stitch length to match your chisel

ide the patcher to see through the pre-punched holes

1 hour ago, Frodo said:

Not on sewing leather but the education I received on how a machine works how a bobbin works was well worth more than I paid

Great education machine.

1 hour ago, Frodo said:

Doesn't this defeat the purpose of using a machine if you are going to pre-punch the stitching holes?

kgg

2 hours ago, Frodo said:

The machines are designed to sew a max 3” line in order to patch a shoe, Ot was not designed to sew a purse or to make a leather vest.

In all honesty, It was the best $120.0 I ever spent. Not on sewing leather but the education I received on how a machine works how a bobbin works was well worth more than I paid

that is a good idea indeed, there are always work arounds to problems and this is one of them.

32 minutes ago, kgg said:

Great education machine.

Doesn't this defeat the purpose of using a machine if you are going to pre-punch the stitching holes?

kgg

LOL they should come with a diploma, signed by Rube Goldberg. 

Using chisels to pre-punch so you don't have to use a hand awl to do the work while hand sewing wouldn't be any different would it?  

The way i understand the definition of machines or tools is that they need to do the job faster and easier than without the tool while still giving equal or even better results. In this case , my parameters, faster and easier than hand sewing with equal results of any other machine doing the same chore. 

1 hour ago, chuck123wapati said:

they should come with a diploma, signed by Rube Goldberg.

From the Purdue University

kgg

On 1/17/2023 at 10:16 AM, chuck123wapati said:

here is my first try aside form the turkey tracks what do you think? the thread looks small for the hole but i haven't pounded it down.  I used a shmetz 110/18 leather needle with tex 90 thread. 

firstsew1.JPG

firstsew2.JPG

firstsew3.JPG

That's much better stitching than any I've done on my machine.  Almost makes me want to try to practice with it more, maybe get some decent work out of it.

1 hour ago, TonyV said:

That's much better stitching than any I've done on my machine.  Almost makes me want to try to practice with it more, maybe get some decent work out of it.

it does pretty darn well with this thread needle combo. 

I made another adjustment i was having problems with  heavier thread breaking or skipping stitches, one thing i found was the needle scarf was about 1mm or maybe 2 away from the shuttle hook. I loosened up the arm and was able to get it adjusted to within maybe a .5 mm which helped considerably, it doesnt break the thread now but i still need heavier needles which are a few days out.

I also filed on the foot teeth some more cleaning them up with a file to the point now they don't tear the hide, almost unnoticeable before finishing lol.

A test piece i did this morning, with the tex90 and Schmetz 18 needle.  it is 2 pieces total 1/4" thick each pass is about 5" long so about 30" of continuous stitching without a hiccup.  I feel i could easily run this machine till the bobbin ran dry.  

After looking at the Schmetz needle it is chisel shaped giving an angled slot, the shaft opens up the slot nicely to get the thread through and final finishing closes them up just like hand sewing.

sewtest1.JPG

sewtest2.JPG

On 1/19/2023 at 6:10 AM, Frodo said:

1F5C96D5-F7A9-49B7-AE15-75511F0BDF12.jpeg

17233E71-137F-45C7-94EC-940B93D8322F.jpeg

i need that  stamp

On 1/20/2023 at 10:50 AM, kgg said:

From the Purdue University

kgg

i found a book !!! lol you gotta check this out sewing machines to teach physics.https://ia800802.us.archive.org/34/items/mechanicsofsewin00sing/mechanicsofsewin00sing.pdf

1 hour ago, chuck123wapati said:

i need that  stamp

32F42D35-EA7B-41D0-871C-CE5B5E0A298F.jpeg

13 hours ago, Frodo said:

32F42D35-EA7B-41D0-871C-CE5B5E0A298F.jpeg

Only problem with that stamp is that it's upside down!    :P

- Bill

17 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

i found a book !!! lol you gotta check this out sewing machines to teach physics.https://ia800802.us.archive.org/34/items/mechanicsofsewin00sing/mechanicsofsewin00sing.pdf

Thank you. I downloaded it and had a brief look. I will give it a read later today but it looks like some nice info there.

kgg

Here’s a video I hadnt seen before with some upgrades:

If someone new to these hasn’t seen it, this is probably the most extensive custom build I’ve seen:

Edited by DonInReno

On 1/23/2023 at 10:47 AM, DonInReno said:

Here’s a video I hadnt seen before with some upgrades:

If someone new to these hasn’t seen it, this is probably the most extensive custom build I’ve seen:

with that machine shop he could build his own lol. 

sew heres my take on this 100 dollar piece of crap after a month( mostly awaiting on needles)  I'm done tinkering, with the exception of building a nice bobbin stand and a bobbin winder. i changed to a system 135x16 needles which took only about ten minutes work. it will run t135 thread with 140 /22 or 130/21 needles flawlessly on leather under 3/8" thick. That's its max thread and needle and thickness IMO that it will sew reliably without pre punching holes or any other work arounds.  I will use it with that needle thread combo or t90 and size 18 or 19 needles until its little wheels fall off and love every minute of it.

Thanks to everyone who responded to me each of you helped me understand this machine, thread & needle combos  and above all gave me the inspiration to try it out. 

My scrap pile is much smaller now lol. 

sewtest3.JPG

I almost purchased that patch machine but went with the cobra instead. I don’t have access to the machines or the time to invest in making  a cheap machine better.

If I did have a machine shop I’d give myself all the cool things I want