Cactusman

Wish I started when I was younger

Started 3 years ago on retirement. Having a great time learning, mostly by trial and error... lots of those. Joining to learn smarter... by learning from others, too.

Bag Ram VS.jpg

Great carving. I have tried it a few times and can use a lot more practice on the knife work and the tooling too. It's never too late to start this stuff. I did my first piece several years after I retired. Wish I had started sooner too.

That's actually really good, if you want to make those details really pop put a resist on it and use a dark brown antique on it, either way great work! Love the details

That looks pretty darn good to me. I started long ago when the written word and drawings was the only knowledge available. I found Al Stholman's leatherworking books and everything in them worked. Even today with the internet I would recommend obtaining any of them available as the are easy to understand and spot on with the information they contain. 

Leather working has never been a cheap hobby and it certainly isn't today. However they are still good tooling leathers available and tools to do it with. I let my hobby lapse for around 20 years and just got back to it last year. I was quite surprised at the increases in costs. I wanted a couple of great grand daughters to have a belt made by grandpa. Boy oh boy, was I rusty plus having developed essential tremors during the time away. I have most of the rust removed now and with enough medication my fingers go where they are supposed to and I am enjoying making some things again. Got a holster in the works at this time. I started it before Christmas but Santa Clause brought me two gifts, a case of flu and covid at the same time. I'm in pretty good shape again and will get back on it during the coming week.

Keep on toolin'. I look at every project as more practice. 

very nice:yes:

That bag is awesome

WOW!

that big horned mountain goat has a lot going on. So now that you are retired, you can become a master of leather. You have lots o& time.

Joel

Edited by GrampaJoel

The detail is phenomenal. Must have taken hours.  Sure to turn heads.

an exceptional job and the details are very accurate. if you still have this hand after 20 years off, you'll do wonders in a while...

Man, thats so good, very impressive  , great detail,   I've worked in sheep shearing sheds, and the lines on those horns are spot on :thumbsup:

On 1/16/2023 at 1:31 AM, doubleh said:

Leather working has never been a cheap hobby and it certainly isn't today.

I won't go off topic,  a discussion for another thread,  but hear hear :yes: 

HS