Gosut

2nd Attempt at Poster Board Templates

Made templates this morning for belt ends and another checkbook cover pattern. My first attempt was to draw it directly on the back of poster board, then cut out. That project design proved unworkable, so never used it. These I first drew in LibreCAD, then printed. But how to make templates?

First idea, one I intended to use for a knife sheath pattern, was to trace it on the poster board using carbon paper. Then decided to cut around the pattern, glue it to the back of the poster board with a rub-on glue stick, then cut out.

This worked well. I went with oval belt holes, and the first two are passable, but the rest look good. I used a hole punch (3mm) for the rounded ends and cut between them. Used the same method on the belt buckle slot, except bumped it up to a 5mm punch. Worried about the half-circle end of the buckle end and the English point on the other, but went at it slowly with an small craft knife that was a gift some years ago. Also used the craft knife for the belt holes and buckle slot. The rest I used a utility knife. Used the craft knife for the rounded corners of the checkbook cover.

Being a newbie, I looked at cutting out the template as practice for cutting the leather later.

Is this a standard way of making templates? If I was going to do a lot of belts and checkbook covers, I might have sprung for that plastic film used to make templates, Being this would see little use, thought poster board would be okay.

1 hour ago, Gosut said:

Made templates this morning for belt ends and another checkbook cover pattern. My first attempt was to draw it directly on the back of poster board, then cut out. That project design proved unworkable, so never used it. These I first drew in LibreCAD, then printed. But how to make templates?

First idea, one I intended to use for a knife sheath pattern, was to trace it on the poster board using carbon paper. Then decided to cut around the pattern, glue it to the back of the poster board with a rub-on glue stick, then cut out.

This worked well. I went with oval belt holes, and the first two are passable, but the rest look good. I used a hole punch (3mm) for the rounded ends and cut between them. Used the same method on the belt buckle slot, except bumped it up to a 5mm punch. Worried about the half-circle end of the buckle end and the English point on the other, but went at it slowly with an small craft knife that was a gift some years ago. Also used the craft knife for the belt holes and buckle slot. The rest I used a utility knife. Used the craft knife for the rounded corners of the checkbook cover.

Being a newbie, I looked at cutting out the template as practice for cutting the leather later.

Is this a standard way of making templates? If I was going to do a lot of belts and checkbook covers, I might have sprung for that plastic film used to make templates, Being this would see little use, thought poster board would be okay.

pretty much how i do it.

i use cardboard templates. I trace around them onto the leather with a pencil so they last for years plus I trace one pristine out for my files and also scan them so i can print them out on plain paper if needed for drawing my tooling designs on. i get my card stock  from old Christmas clothes boxes they are pretty and free too lol.

Cracker boxes

cereal boxes

i love the plastic 3 ring binders 

old file’s

Or you can buy bontex it is a bag stiffner

48x48 sheet 20 bucks

Manila file folders or cardstock for smaller things, the hard craft paper that separates the toilet paper at Costco for larger stuff.

Make my holster patterns from card stock, wanting the flexibility to insure fit. Then I trace to pattern onto sheet plastic and cut it out with an Exacto knife to make a long term template. Most available and least expensive sheet plastic I've found is used for the cheap "for sale" or "for rent" signs found at big box hardware stores or Target/Walmart.

14 minutes ago, Charley1 said:

Make my holster patterns from card stock, wanting the flexibility to insure fit. Then I trace to pattern onto sheet plastic and cut it out with an Exacto knife to make a long term template. Most available and least expensive sheet plastic I've found is used for the cheap "for sale" or "for rent" signs found at big box hardware stores or Target/Walmart.

aaa... the for sale/rent sign is a good idea.  I've been drawing on printer paper or graph paper, and then then gluing it to a posterboard to give it rigidity.  The plastic sign idea is nice, and would be more durable than posterboard.  Thanks for a good idea.

8 hours ago, Gosut said:

A couple suggestions, from another newbie.  I would recommend gluing the whole sheet to the posterboard first - or at least only the major parts roughly cut out.  Glue it, let it dry, and then cut it out, when its dry as one piece.  Use your hole punches to cut clean holes.  If you don't have oblong punches to cut slots... use a hole punch on each end of the slot.... then use your knife to make the straight cuts to form a slot between the two holes.  

Edited by Littlef

Hobby Lobby has a 10 pack of the poster board for less than 3 bucks. I fold them in half and spray 3m 77 spray adhesive to make hem double thickness. I then take the paper pattern., spray them with the 77 and attach them to the double thickness board. Cut them out and you a cheap, long lasting pattern. I’ve used some of these for  10 years or more and they’re still holding up. 

Dollar General  and Dollar Tree

have  vinyl place mats for $1.25

card stock.  Gitcha some 80lb or so.  Available everywhre, basically.  Print right on your home printer.  Cut out, and done.  Pattern gits worn out.. print another one.

For belts, I just have patterns of the width and the tip end.  The "holes" are just poked with a stylus or pencil... then poke the leather same way through the holes for punch position.  Great for holsters, too.

I'm using chipboard for making hardcover books.

What I'm using is about 1.8mm but it comes in various thicknesses and sizes. Its a good stiffness and doesn't lift up as I'm trying to mark the leather.

I draw a pattern on a piece of paper then use an Elmers glue stick to attach it to the chipboard.

20230304_150532.jpg.10ff4f2de7dacff01366635a4fd81b85.jpg

20230304_150518.jpg.2522ca309ec453d6130a81ef98dd785a.jpg

T-shirt cardboard, but it’s not something you can stock up on. I went to hobby lobby and purchased the large poster board pad they had. I like cereal boxes but  I have also used paper and duct tape to make a few patterns

Manilla folders, cereal boxes, whatever I can find that's free.:) It all works,

7 hours ago, Doc Reaper said:

T-shirt cardboard, but it’s not something you can stock up on. I went to hobby lobby and purchased the large poster board pad they had. I like cereal boxes but  I have also used paper and duct tape to make a few patterns

I use poster board as well.  Another Thing I use is craft foam.  Not to make a template, but it makes a good analog for leather to prototype gun holsters, mag holsters, ammo pouches, or whatever else.

I use TRACING PAPER first. its cheap and easy to cut, and best it lets you see all levels of the potential pattern.

after you have it JUST RIGHT  then I transfer it to chip board or another stiff (not thick) cardboard.  This technique has served me well for years making one-off items. Best part is both materials are cheap and come in LARGE sizes or rolls.

On 2/11/2023 at 10:19 AM, Gosut said:

NO PICTURES IT DIDN'T HAPPEN:o