fredk

Thread Question, Mark 2

Another question about a certain type of thread reminded me that I wanted to ask about a certain thread I have

About a quadzillion years ago I bought some small hanks of an unusual heavy black thread from Le Prevo. They haven't had that thread in for a very long time. 

The thread has a fine steel wire in the middle.

What might this have been used for?

I once asked Le Prevo but no one there even remembered them having it in stock. I only bought some because I thought it might come in useful

I've only ever used two short lengths; both on horse harness when I had to splice on a repair section on certain straps. I thought the wire insert would give the sewn part more re-enforcement

and google doesn't give me any answers

11 minutes ago, fredk said:

Another question about a certain type of thread reminded me that I wanted to ask about a certain thread I have

About a quadzillion years ago I bought some small hanks of an unusual heavy black thread from Le Prevo. They haven't had that thread in for a very long time. 

The thread has a fine steel wire in the middle.

I once asked Le Prevo but no one there even remembered them having it in stock. I only bought some because I thought it might come in useful

I've only ever used two short lengths; both on horse harness when I had to splice on a repair section on certain straps. I thought the wire insert would give the sewn part more re-enforcement

and google doesn't give me any answers

Years ago I sandwiched a thin stainless steel cable between two layers to make a strap for a daughters work satchel so no-one on a scooter could slice through it and make off with her bag.

Don't suppose your thread is thick enough for that but maybe multiple strands for a smaller security use is something to think about.

When I worked in an electronics lab, we had non-static labcoats with a bit of metal fiber woven in.   Possibly that thread would be used to sew that sort of thing?

- Bill

Thanks for your replies. I don't dismiss any ideas.

The thread is about 1.5mm / 1/16 inch thick. Just enough for a heavy sewing job. And its pre-waxed.

I use 2mm multi-strand stainless steel wire in handbag straps for anti-thief security (I've only done few though) That s/s wire is a real bugger to cut when you want to 

24 minutes ago, fredk said:

I use 2mm multi-strand stainless steel wire in handbag straps for anti-thief security (I've only done few though) That s/s wire is a real bugger to cut when you want to 

I worked for a time in theatre stuff and one job involved maintaining the safety curtains for insurance. Not generally known but the curtain separates the stage area from the auditorium where folk sit in case of fire. It weighs tons. The bit you see is asbestos cloth. Behind that is a wall of RSJs (girders) to which is bolted sheet metal from top to bottom. This is hauled up and down by five stainless steel cables almost an inch thick. They go a long way up to the grid, then across to the wall and thence to a motor and counterweights. When those cables had to be replaced you knew you were in for a long night.

3 hours ago, fredk said:

Might have been something for sewing heat resistant items similar to:

1) Para Aramid Sewing Thread

https://www.textiletechnologies.co.uk/products/para-aramid-sewing-thread

2) Kevlar Stainless Steel Wire Sewing Thread

https://www.eas-fiberglass.net/product/kevlar-stainless-steel-wire-sewing-thread.html

kgg

2 hours ago, toxo said:

The bit you see is asbestos cloth

I'm sure asbestos is gone now.  Must be using Nomex or other fire proofing/heat resistant similar materials.

1 hour ago, Northmount said:

I'm sure asbestos is gone now.  Must be using Nomex or other fire proofing/heat resistant similar materials.

Let's hope so!! Have seen far too many cases of mesothelioma as a nurse... :rip_1:  Horrible, horrible disease!  Just took my neighbour's husband - exposure to construction materials back in the 50's and 60's. :'(

1 hour ago, Northmount said:

8 minutes ago, Sheilajeanne said:

Let's hope so!! Have seen far too many cases of mesothelioma as a nurse... :rip_1:  Horrible, horrible disease!  Just took my neighbour's husband - exposure to construction materials back in the 50's and 60's. :'(

Nope asbestos is alive and well and being sold today in construction materials. Any demolition work in the states has to be checked for asbestos new or old because China and maybe a couple others still add it to their products and ship them to us.  Notable exceptions that still permit asbestos use are China, Russia, India, Brazil, Canada and the United States.

14 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

Notable exceptions that still permit asbestos use

https://www.asbestos.com/mesothelioma/canada/

Quoted from the above link:

There is a ban on asbestos in Canada. The Prohibition of Asbestos and Products Containing Asbestos Regulations came in 2018. Although, specific uses of asbestos remain legal in Canada.

The nuclear energy and military industries can use asbestos until 2029. The chloralkali industry has until 2030. Magnesium extraction companies can use asbestos mining waste.

Canada has held off on the World Health Organization’s universal ban on asbestos. The government has also considered reopening the Jeffrey Mine in Asbestos, Quebec.

There are no longer any active asbestos mines in Canada. The last two asbestos mines closed in 2011. One was the Jeffrey Mine in Val-des-Sources, Quebec. The other was the Lac d’amiante du Canada in the nearby town of Thetford Mines, Quebec.

35 minutes ago, Sheilajeanne said:

Just took my neighbour's husband - exposure to construction materials back in the 50's and 60's

My neighbour died of it a few years ago.  Had worked most of his life as an electrician.

I worked on a steam turbine many years ago and patched up the high temperature insulation (asbestos) with more asbestos, powdered cement that we mixed with water and plastered it on.  So far, my x-rays are good.  I have a scar in my low in my left lung that is not related to asbestos.

The town called Asbestos in Canada recently changed its name;   https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-54608836

One of my uncles got asbestosis through his work in the Belfast shipyard

My uncle was a mining engineer in Asbestos, Quebec. Fortunately, he knew enough to protect himself, and lived to a ripe old age. His breathing problems late in life were no doubt caused by smoking rather than asbestos. :rolleyes2:

In Grade 4, we made models out of asbestos clay. The teacher who showed us how to do it did die of cancer, but I am unsure if it was due to asbestos or her smoking habit. SO many people smoked back in those days!

Mesothelioma causes the space between the lungs and chest wall to fill up with fluid, which prevents the lungs from expanding. 

To get back to the topic of thread, I am making a mouse out of leather, and am struggling to find something to use for whiskers that won't droop. I had thought of using the fine wire from an old set of guitar strings, but that would be a hazard to a small child. 

I have some artificial sinew, and was thinking that might work, if I split it to make it finer, then waxed it heavily with beeswax.

Any other suggestions?  What about invisible thread? Can you buy that in a heavy enough gauge that it wouldn't droop?

1 hour ago, Sheilajeanne said:

To get back to the topic of thread, I am making a mouse out of leather, and am struggling to find something to use for whiskers that won't droop. I had thought of using the fine wire from an old set of guitar strings, but that would be a hazard to a small child. 

I have some artificial sinew, and was thinking that might work, if I split it to make it finer, then waxed it heavily with beeswax.

Any other suggestions?  What about invisible thread? Can you buy that in a heavy enough gauge that it wouldn't droop?

Sone shoe makers still use boar whiskers for some sewing.  You may be able to get some of 'em.  What could be a better whisker than an actual whisker!?

- Bill

16 minutes ago, billybopp said:

Sone shoe makers still use boar whiskers for some sewing.  You may be able to get some of 'em.  What could be a better whisker than an actual whisker!?

- Bill

Wow, yes, there are still used for that! How cool is that? But $55 is way too steep a price when I only need a very small amount: Genuine boar bristles

I could buy a small brush like a shaving brush, though, for much less: https://www.fendrihan.ca/products/omega-boar-bristle-shaving-brush-beech-wood-handle

Edited by Sheilajeanne

1 hour ago, Sheilajeanne said:

Wow, yes, there are still used for that! How cool is that? But $55 is way too steep a price when I only need a very small amount: Genuine boar bristles

I could buy a small brush like a shaving brush, though, for much less: https://www.fendrihan.ca/products/omega-boar-bristle-shaving-brush-beech-wood-handle

YIKES!  I had no idea they'd be that expensive!!  LOL

Got a pig farm nearby?   :D

- Bill

10 hours ago, Sheilajeanne said:

. . . I could buy a small brush like a shaving brush, though, for much less: https://www.fendrihan.ca/products/omega-boar-bristle-shaving-brush-beech-wood-handle

Get a heavy bristle pasting or white-wash brush. From a $-shop or hardware store. They are cheap and have enough bristles for a lifetime. I've pulled them apart for using the bristles as 'thatching' on model houses. The bristles are stiff enough to stay straight but flexible enough to bend when pushed

a suggestion; hold the end of the bristle near the side of a candle flame. it will melt a wee bit and roll back slightly giving a more blunt end

On 3/26/2023 at 8:36 PM, billybopp said:

Got a pig farm nearby?   :D

Unfortunately, none of the farmers in my family raise livestock any more. They're strictly crop farmers. And I think my cat and my dog wouldn't be willing contributors...;)

On 3/26/2023 at 7:06 PM, Northmount said:

This was many years ago. Don't know if it was pure asbestos or some kind of mix. That cloth is very thick. I think it was coated with something because there is usually an advert on it or it simply said "Safety Curtain"

I would hope the mix has been changed by now but it's not something that shouts out "Asbestos" and even in my day some had been in place for many many years.

On 3/26/2023 at 10:20 PM, Sheilajeanne said:

You can get mono nylon monafilament (fishing line) in any thickness or colour Sheila.

Yeah, may try that. Have a spare spool in my tackle box. And I think I still have my horse brushes lying around somewhere. The bristles from those might make good (free) whiskers. Though this will be a reluctant confession that I'm past the age where I'll ever ride again... :bawling: