DJole

"Hand of God" holster commission -- in progress

I've been working on this holster, from a pattern made by the person who created the movie rig.
Western floral is not my usual style, but it's been interesting. The person who wants the holster bought 7 new stamps I needed for the pattern, so that's useful! :)

20230329_235550.jpg

20230329_103609.jpg

Ok, I'll bite...what movie?? Do you get to keep the stamps too??I'm looking forward to see it finished

Always wanted to make a "Hand of God" rig but haven't gotten to it yet. Could you possibly tell us where you got the pattern? Thanks!

It's looking great already, can't wait to see it completed!

~Frau~

12 minutes ago, Chux said:

Ok, I'll bite...what movie?? 

3:10 to Yuma. Worn by Russell Crowe in the film.

And the pattern is by Will Ghormley.

4 hours ago, GatoGordo said:

3:10 to Yuma. Worn by Russell Crowe in the film.

And the pattern is by Will Ghormley.

Yes to all of the above!

Will Ghormley's pattern pack contains patterns for 4 different pistol sizes and the belt. He also has additional information on his website about the tooling and dyeing process he uses, which has been very useful. 

4 hours ago, Chux said:

Ok, I'll bite...what movie?? Do you get to keep the stamps too??I'm looking forward to see it finished

Yes, I get to keep the stamps. The price of the stamps (as part of purchased materials needed) is included in the price of the whole rig. They're not Barry King -- that would really push the price up! 

4 hours ago, Fraulein said:

Always wanted to make a "Hand of God" rig but haven't gotten to it yet. Could you possibly tell us where you got the pattern? Thanks!

It's looking great already, can't wait to see it completed!

~Frau~

Hand of God Rig G2 Holster Pattern Pack – Leather Crafters & Saddlers Journal (leathercraftersjournal.com)

51 minutes ago, Littlef said:

I would not spend money on that site at the moment. It's surely compromised, see the image below. It's a spam link inserted by someone.

hacked.png

15 hours ago, DJole said:

I've been working on this holster, from a pattern made by the person who created the movie rig.
Western floral is not my usual style, but it's been interesting. The person who wants the holster bought 7 new stamps I needed for the pattern, so that's useful! :)

20230329_235550.jpg

20230329_103609.jpg

Are you going to vinegaroon it?
To make it black.

I pulled that right off the leather crafters and sadlers website, which is where I bought mine.

On 3/30/2023 at 3:31 PM, GrampaJoel said:

Are you going to vinegaroon it?
To make it black.

No, I'm using Fiebing's antique black gel. 

That is excellent tooling. Looks very sharp with good depth

Please inform this ignoramus on two things; 1. Why is it called 'Hand of God'? and 2. what is so desirable about having this holster over and above others?

8 minutes ago, fredk said:

Please inform this ignoramus on two things; 1. Why is it called 'Hand of God'? and 2. what is so desirable about having this holster over and above others?

It's a Holster from the Movie 3:10 to Yuma.   The Bad guy in the movie, Russel Crow, carries a firearm, with a cross inlayed into the grip, and its nicknamed, The Hand of God. -This is the Holster that was made for that firearm in the movie.  It's just a cool design and a good looking holster.  It got a lot of screen time in the movie, since it was worn by a main character.  The Pattern is sold on--line by the actual maker of the holster who made it for the movie.

Edited by Littlef
typo correction

In answer to 2, because it was in the movie. At the end of the day it's simply a holster, functionally no different to many others out there.

edit:LittleF beat me by a whisker!;)

Edited by dikman

thanks guys

You've  done a great job on the tooling :yes:

I have this pattern pack . Its been sitting in my filing cabinet.....for ...too long :whistle: Haven't made it ...yet.  I also have the  old original movie on  DVD . 

Well done.

HS

It's nearly done! The last thing we need to do is a final belt fitting to make SURE the buckle billet is long enough! (The 1st test fitting showed us that the customer didn't get the belt size quite right -- a couple inches off.)

I finished the holster today. 
I'll upload belt pictures after I finish that up. Today I also sewed on the second set of cartridge loops, as the customer requested.

HOG Holster.jpg

All loops.jpg

On 4/10/2023 at 3:50 PM, fredk said:

Thanks, Fred! I've spent a while learning how to get it right, and I think I'm getting the hang of it now. 

And as an appreciation gift, I made the customer a custom card wallet. The colors (dye and thread) and stamping pattern match the holster and belt.

The color doesn't really fade from top to bottom -- that's just a photographic artifact.  The purply-red leather is just a striking bit of on-sale remnant I had. It certainly makes a nice color pop!

That's Fiebing's Antique Black Gel for the wallet, and the thread is Maine Thread .035 polyester cord, Golden Brown color. Stitching on the inside flat edge is 3mm, the perimeter is 5mm.

The customer paid for the 3 and 5 hole bar grounder set (from Japan), so it was appropriate to use them in the tooling!

WalletOut.jpg

walletIn.jpg

Edited by DJole

That's good stuff.  Well done!

Nicely done.