AlZilla

Bigger than a 441?

Just curious ... are there any machines that sew a thicker stack then the 441/clones?

I haven't seen any references to needle systems bigger than the 794s, either.

needle and awl machines.  Campbell Randall, etc.

Yes. I do remember some years ago, I went to a commercial sewing company making enquiries,. I also had a chance to have a look at some of their machines that made straps etc. for use on  ships etc. They were huge, much bigger than my 441 clone,  fly wheels were massive . One strap I was shown  was 2' wide and  well over 1"  thick and as hard as a coffee table  . Blew my mind. Can't for the life of me remember the brand. 

HS

Edited by Handstitched

Very few sewing machines were made that could sew over 7/8 inch. There was a Campbell Hi-Lift, needle and awl machine, that could allegedly sew 1.25 inches. I never saw that machine though. I sewed on a standard Campbell Randall stitcher that was good up to a touch over 3/4 inch. I modified two Union Lockstitch machines to sew 7/8 inch. I once sewed a solid 1 inch thick holster on my Cowboy CB4500, but only after tricking it out. Pat Luberto used to make a Luberto Classic that he claimed could sew 1 inch of leather. He went out of business in the last decade. Finally, I've read about people who owned Landis #1 harness stitchers, that used a now obsolete, super long System 1000 needle, that would sew 1 inch thick stacks of saddle leather.

46 minutes ago, Wizcrafts said:

Finally, I've read about people who owned Landis #1 harness stitchers, that used a now obsolete, super long System 1000 needle, that would sew 1 inch thick stacks of saddle leather.

1 hour ago, AlZilla said:

Just curious ... are there any machines that sew a thicker stack then the 441/clones?

I haven't seen any references to needle systems bigger than the 794s, either.

Not quite obsolete just yet are the flatbed's Japanese Seiko SLH-2B, the Cowboy / Hightex 733C machines as well a bunch of other Chinese clones. They are still using the Schmetz 1000 needles but those needles may prove to be difficult to get. Those machines maybe able too sew in the 1 1/4 " thickness range for strap material but leather could be something else.

kgg

4 hours ago, Burkhardt said:

Aha! This led me down the rabbit trail of Singer Class 7's and the ISMACS page for class 1 to 99.  Well worth a persue and includes the Class 9-1. 18 feet long and sews 1.5" thick. I see a whole new vista of Singer sewing machine collecting for me.

Thanks everyone for indulging my curiosity.

A modern machine that can sew a stack of 1.2” (30mm)  is the Durkopp Adler H-Type 969

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

This machine is designed to use both System 794 and System 1000H needles. Using System 794 needles lowers the max thickness you can sew but you have a bigger selection of leather tips available.

C4176A28-4326-4F38-B54E-A89FD87DEBAB.jpeg

The System 1000H replaced the System 1000. The only difference appears to be that the new System 1000H needle has a scarf. The Schmetz 1000H needles are available by special order.

3D8DA728-4CB5-40A0-9F14-6359AB7E08F7.jpeg

Edited by Uwe

The Adler 120-7A, 8A had a 40mm lift on it   Could sew heavier than Randall Campbell and 969 DA.  That was an absolute beast.    

glenn

9 hours ago, Uwe said:

The Schmetz 1000H needles are available by special order.

Wow!  That's a VERY special order!

I bet a person really cries when they break a $22 needle.

It’s $222 for a box of 100, so it’s $2.22 per needle. Far cheaper than the awls and needles I got for my Puritan.

Edited by Uwe