ftnpenlvr2

CLSP - Chinese Leather Shoe Patcher

Hi Folks!

I started my leatherworking journey back around the start of the whole Covid thing, with a need to make a sheath for my ax.  Well, as long as I am making a sheath, I may as well make a strap to hang the ax from my shoulder.  Well, as long as I am doing that, I may as well decorate it, right?  Got a couple cheap tools, one fairly expensive stamp, some ReaLeather from the local craft shop, and start figuring it out.

Fast forward a few years, I have started my own custom and bespoke leather business, made purses, belts, coasters, etc, and eventually decided I wanted to add a sewing machine to the mix.  I liked the idea of the shoe patcher, largely because, being inexpensive, and simple enough even for this caveman to work on.  Of course, I went a bit overboard and kitted out with needles and thread. 

Thinner shoe leather, it behaves nicely. Doesn't seem to care veg or chrome tan.  It just sews without complaint, and it sews as straight as I do.  Tooled leather, the teeth on that foot will rip things up. If you file them down too much, it doesn't move the leather like it should.  Heat shrink tubing around the foot seems to help.  A 3d-printed plastic foot works great until it breaks.

Right now, I am trying to convince it to behave with a 140 needle and T135 thread on some Hermann Oak belt leather scraps.  I usually get about 5 stitches in before the thread frays above the needle, and it eventually breaks.  I suppose I have some filing to do in the needle driver to smooth SOMETHING out before that will behave better.  

Overall, I think I may have gotten a decent one.  In retrospect, I probably should have bought from Bantam, where they buy them, fettle them, and sell them in great working order - that may be a present to myself down the road.  If you like puzzles, and like to figure out "now why the *$)#( is it doing THAT??" I believe they can be a great tool, with some troubleshooting and work after winning the gamble of not getting a broken/incomplete one.  If you want more of a sure thing, Bantam does that hard work for you.  They're not $120 like on Amazon, but, they're also not a $1000+ Adler (and they don't sew like them either).

51 minutes ago, ftnpenlvr2 said:

Hi Folks!

I started my leatherworking journey back around the start of the whole Covid thing, with a need to make a sheath for my ax.  Well, as long as I am making a sheath, I may as well make a strap to hang the ax from my shoulder.  Well, as long as I am doing that, I may as well decorate it, right?  Got a couple cheap tools, one fairly expensive stamp, some ReaLeather from the local craft shop, and start figuring it out.

Fast forward a few years, I have started my own custom and bespoke leather business, made purses, belts, coasters, etc, and eventually decided I wanted to add a sewing machine to the mix.  I liked the idea of the shoe patcher, largely because, being inexpensive, and simple enough even for this caveman to work on.  Of course, I went a bit overboard and kitted out with needles and thread. 

Thinner shoe leather, it behaves nicely. Doesn't seem to care veg or chrome tan.  It just sews without complaint, and it sews as straight as I do.  Tooled leather, the teeth on that foot will rip things up. If you file them down too much, it doesn't move the leather like it should.  Heat shrink tubing around the foot seems to help.  A 3d-printed plastic foot works great until it breaks.

Right now, I am trying to convince it to behave with a 140 needle and T135 thread on some Hermann Oak belt leather scraps.  I usually get about 5 stitches in before the thread frays above the needle, and it eventually breaks.  I suppose I have some filing to do in the needle driver to smooth SOMETHING out before that will behave better.  

Overall, I think I may have gotten a decent one.  In retrospect, I probably should have bought from Bantam, where they buy them, fettle them, and sell them in great working order - that may be a present to myself down the road.  If you like puzzles, and like to figure out "now why the *$)#( is it doing THAT??" I believe they can be a great tool, with some troubleshooting and work after winning the gamble of not getting a broken/incomplete one.  If you want more of a sure thing, Bantam does that hard work for you.  They're not $120 like on Amazon, but, they're also not a $1000+ Adler (and they don't sew like them either).

don't flatten the foot polish it, like the expensive machines,  so the teeth aren't ragged, that is what trashes the leather. Also check the distance between the bobbin hook and your needle shunt, when the knot pulls into the hole it tightens the thread to much and the bobbin hook then pierces the thread and breaks it.

3 hours ago, ftnpenlvr2 said:

Hi Folks!

If your on Facebook there's a group there call"China Leather Shoe Patcher" & "Made with China Leather Shoe Patcher" they both have alot of tips & tricks about these machines on there.

Edited by CowboyBob

7 hours ago, ftnpenlvr2 said:

Hi Folks!

You made the wise choice buying where you did, and saved a chunk of change doing so. Switch over to a 136x17 needle system and time the needle bar up tight to the hook. Game changer. You’re not going to have success sewing leather on that thing with universal needles. Make sure you’re using the correct thread/needle combo. Slow is the key. All patchers are made for slow sewing, but especially that thing. The needle flex will send it everywhere but the needle throat. Made a lot of money with that sucker, and it still does. Stays in my rotation. 

Search for "chinese shoe patcher" (also known as a tinker's delight) there have been quite a few posts on here about them.

I have to say, with the size 140/22 needle running the thread above, the only way I could get this thing to sew on Hermann Oak 10-12-oz leather was if I soaked it first.  4-5 oz stuff it sails right through. whether it is veg or chrome tanned leather.  This makes sense to me, as, being a cobbler's sewing machine, that's really about as thick as I would expect shoe leather to be.

I had better luck (but still not great), after treating the belt leather with leather honey a few times, and really bending/working it around to soften it up.  After 5 slow stitches, I sped up, and got another dozen before the thread popped.  Re-threaded, and got another 5 slow stitches before it popped again.  Moral of the story, for now, is to not expect too much of it...  :-D

I can do 2 pieces of 8-9 no problem after drilling out the 2 holes on the bobbin and needle plate using 207 thread. That;s having very little tension on the bottom and the top really firm. It's a art form getting the bottom arm the right distance and adjusting the hook needle clearance and the cams set right. It takes along time to get right but once you do it's easy to get the adjustments right.

Hey sorry to bother you like this, but I’m sure this thread is dead. But, it’s the most recent I been in the worst luck with my recently purchased leather shoe patcher machine. I’ve watched every video imaginable. My mistake was buying It off Facebook marketplace. The man I bought it from said he had no issues and showed me a sample piece he said he’d stitched so I assumed it worked. I took it home and I’m having the worst luck. I can’t get the needle to pick up the bobbin thread. I’ve got the bottom gear bar flush. I have the needle bar about 1/4” inch sticking out and my needle doesn’t pierce my finger from the bottom. I’ve got my shuttle and that little housing facing right when the crank is at 3 o’clock, but I just can’t get it. And, when I first tried it the needle thread was making a literal mess under the shuttle and kept getting stuck. I’m sorry to bother but I’m really upset about it and wanted to know if it’s fixable. Idk what kinda tinkering this gentleman did before my purchase and I honestly regret it!

Edited by Wizcrafts
I removed the strange formatting and corrected missing punctuation marks.

13 hours ago, Acortez42093 said:

Hey sorry to bother you like this but I’m sure this thread is dead but it’s the most recent I been in the worst luck with my recently purchased leather shoe patcher machine…I’ve watched every video imaginable …my mistake was buying It off Facebook marketplace the man I bought it from said he had no issues and showed me a sample piece he said he’d stitched so I assumed it worked I took it home and I’m having the worst luck I can’t get the needle to pick up the bobbin thread I’ve got the bottom gear bar flush I have the needle bar about 1/4” inch sticking out my needle doesn’t pierce my finger from the bottom I’ve got my shuttle and that little housing facing right when the crank is at 3 o’clock but I just can’t get it and when I first tried it the needle thread was making a literal mess under the shuttle and kept getting stuck I’m sorry to bother but I’m really upset about it and wanted to know if it’s fixable idk what kinda tinkering this gentleman did before my purchase and I honestly regret it…

First things first, turn off what ever you have set on your lettering and please use some punctuation, I can't tell what's a question and where one starts or ends.

6 hours ago, Burkhardt said:

First things first, turn off what ever you have set on your lettering and please use some punctuation, I can't tell what's a question and where one starts or ends.

I agree very difficult to follow.

We need some basic info like:

i) what size thread you are using?

ii) what size needle you are using?

iii) what way are you trying to thread the needle from. From your left to right or right to left.

iv) Which way do you have the needle inserted. With the long groove on the left or on the right?

v) what way is the thread coming of the bobbin, clockwise or counter clockwise?

A couple of photo's of your thread path from the spool of thread to the needle would be helpful.

kgg

12 hours ago, Burkhardt said:

I edited his post and removed the odd formatting. I also added missing periods and commas.