Thought I'd put up a couple of my round knives here in the "Show Off" category.  I've been using them as a Maker for over 30-years, and became obsessed with making them myself a few years ago.  I made my first one about 18-months ago with influence from everybody from CS Osborne to Danny Marlin, and everybody in-between.  I chose to use AEB-L stainless steel for my blades as it was developed for razor blades, and it's got years of successful history.  It's been around a LONG time.  All of my blades are professionally heat treated by Buck Knives/Bos Heat Treating out in Post Falls, Idaho.  The fasteners on these two are stainless steel Loveless bolts designed by the late knifemaker Bob Loveless.  Handle material is DymaLux which I've found to be outstanding to work with, and provides a solid weight and density.  It finishes nicely, too.  Thanks for looking! 

BUCKSKIN ROUND KNIFE SCREENSHOT FROM GIBSON LEATHER SITE--MAY 8 2023.png

GIBSON COCOBOLO ROUND ON BENCH LEATHER BACKGROUND-MAY 8 2023.jpg

GIBSON BUCKSKIN FOR LW POST-MAY 8 2023.jpg

Nice work. I have several from various individuals.

15 minutes ago, Ferg said:

Nice work. I have several from various individuals.

Thank you, sir!  Same here--I've kind of turned into an accidental collector over the years. 

Those are really nice thanks for showing, really like the middle one just because its more of classic looking Round Knife because the colour of the handle which will look even better over time. Also good to hear from some one who has a passion for the Round Knife i know i would not trade any of mine for any other kind of knife they are just a joy to use.

Thanks again

JCUK

38 minutes ago, jcuk said:

Those are really nice thanks for showing, really like the middle one just because its more of classic looking Round Knife because the colour of the handle which will look even better over time. Also good to hear from some one who has a passion for the Round Knife i know i would not trade any of mine for any other kind of knife they are just a joy to use.

Thanks again

JCUK

Thank you!

beautiful steel there my friend!!

44 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

beautiful steel there my friend!!

Thank you, sir!

Excellent work, Mr. Gibson. I am an odd duck I suppose as I can't find any love for the round knife even though I have tried.

Very nice:You_Rock_Emoticon:

3 hours ago, usmc0341 said:

Beautiful knives!

Thank you!

23 minutes ago, Bert03241 said:

Very nice:You_Rock_Emoticon:

Thank you!

45 minutes ago, doubleh said:

Excellent work, Mr. Gibson. I am an odd duck I suppose as I can't find any love for the round knife even though I have tried.

Thank you for the kind words.  Not an odd duck at all--I've used them since I started, so anything else would be odd for me.  They can be frustrating, and if you don't pay constant attention, they can bite.  Worst cuts I've gotten have been since I've been making them. 

Those really look good Bruce! (coming from a guy who has seen a few....)

4 hours ago, bruce johnson said:

Those really look good Bruce! (coming from a guy who has seen a few....)

Thanks, Bruce!  I'd venture to say you've probably seen 'em all!  That means a lot coming from you.  I won't be making a whole lot of them, but I sure enjoy the process. 

Those are beautiful knives, the design looks like a great size/shape. I recently bought 2  used Dozier knives made out of D-2 steel. Can you educate me about the pros and cons of D-2 versus the AEB-L steel you used?

36 minutes ago, TomE said:

Those are beautiful knives, the design looks like a great size/shape. I recently bought 2  used Dozier knives made out of D-2 steel. Can you educate me about the pros and cons of D-2 versus the AEB-L steel you used?

d-2 is high carbon AEB_l is stainless That's the biggest diff. Both make excellent blades. Folks tend to talk up certain steels but in the end its the tempering that makes the knife. 

47 minutes ago, TomE said:

Thanks, Tom!  I've never used D-2.  I've played with 1095 when I first started, but beyond that, it's been AEB-L for all my leather knives.  Here's an article (with more info than anybody would want or need) on AEB-L with some D-2 references and comparisons.  https://knifesteelnerds.com/2019/03/04/all-about-aeb-l/

3 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

d-2 is high carbon AEB_l is stainless That's the biggest diff. Both make excellent blades. Folks tend to talk up certain steels but in the end its the tempering that makes the knife. 

What Chuck said.  :lol::lol:

Thanks, @chuck123wapati.  I’m on the steep end of the learning curve and enjoy all the information I am able to soak up here. 

1 minute ago, BruceGibson said:

Thanks, Tom!  I've never used D-2.  I've played with 1095 when I first started, but beyond that, it's been AEB-L for all my leather knives.  Here's an article (with more info than anybody would want or need) on AEB-L with some D-2 references and comparisons.  https://knifesteelnerds.com/2019/03/04/all-about-aeb-l/

What Chuck said.  :lol::lol:

Thank you, Bruce. I will give it a read. Fun to learn this stuff. 

Those are nice looking knives there Bruce. My primary stainless for blades are CPM-154 and AEB-L.

10 hours ago, bladegrinder said:

Those are nice looking knives there Bruce. My primary stainless for blades are CPM-154 and AEB-L.

Thank you!  I've been real happy with the AEB-L.  Haven't tried the CPM-154, but I'm sure I will!  I haven't even built a fixed blade "normal" knife yet--I got into it with a total fixation on round/head knives and I've put all my focus on those. 

Awesome work! I make knives as well. Never a round knife. I use a lot of AEB-L. It's great stuff. Also use Nitro-V and O1 tool steel. 

Edited by DaveP

2 hours ago, DaveP said:

Awesome work! I make knives as well. Never a round knife. I use a lot of AEB-L. It's great stuff. Also use Nitro-V and O1 tool steel. 

Thanks, Dave!  I've always been fascinated with the round knives--as I mentioned earlier, I've yet to try my hand at a regular fixed blade.  I think I'm doing things backward, which is not unusual for me.  ;)

1 hour ago, BruceGibson said:

Thanks, Dave!  I've always been fascinated with the round knives--as I mentioned earlier, I've yet to try my hand at a regular fixed blade.  I think I'm doing things backward, which is not unusual for me.  ;)

What thickness steel are you using for your round knives?

6 hours ago, DaveP said:

What thickness steel are you using for your round knives?

.060" with distal taper and convex grind.

12 hours ago, BruceGibson said:

.060" with distal taper and convex grind.

Thankyou!