Gezzer

Ponytail holder .......... I guess

is what it would be called . Works good on my table swab , gonna give it to a girl I know that has enough hair to test it . 3 inches tall and 3 1/2 inches wide when open

IMG_2122.JPG

IMG_2125.JPG

IMG_2126.JPG

That is pretty!  Yes only someone with long and thick hair will be able to do justice to it. :)

Might have to try one of those. Neat idea!

4 hours ago, Gezzer said:

is what it would be called . Works good on my table swab , gonna give it to a girl I know that has enough hair to test it . 3 inches tall and 3 1/2 inches wide when open

IMG_2125.JPG

mmm, interesting. something that could be made from an off-cut. I'm tempted to make one, then find someone to wear it! :lol:

Beautiful! 

Never seen one with a snap before. I know them with two holes in the leather through which a stick is pushed. I believe the stick will take more pressure than the snap and the holder needs to fit tightly so as not to slide down. But the snap may work  - please keep us posted. 

Edited by Klara

@Klara  Yeah , it might not work but I have a girl with a head full of hair that will test it and see . I  will be sure and post pass or fail .

7 minutes ago, Gezzer said:

@Klara  Yeah , it might not work but I have a girl with a head full of hair that will test it and see . I  will be sure and post pass or fail .

Its a very cool design overall, If your plan is to sell them in bulk I don't see the snap working well as not all ponytails are the same size. Possibly lacing it up might be an option worth considering.

1 hour ago, chuck123wapati said:

Possibly lacing it up might be an option worth considering.

Probably not, as that would be extremely fiddly with a risk of pulling on hairs. But the design with the holes is tried and tested. 

20230805_183216.jpg.b803bb7a653294034e2d7351b94ef728.jpg

However, the guy who made this one stopped producing them because they took too much time for the price people were willing to pay.

3 minutes ago, Klara said:

Probably not, as that would be extremely fiddly with a risk of pulling on hairs. But the design with the holes is tried and tested. 

20230805_183216.jpg.b803bb7a653294034e2d7351b94ef728.jpg

However, the guy who made this one stopped producing them because they took too much time for the price people were willing to pay.

I need to give myself a raise lol. 

I make some of those out of my strap scrap lol. lacing was just a thought I've never tried it though. These and key fobs and such are money makers to me fast, easy and no sewing lol.. 

feather1.JPG

Instead of a snap/popper what about a piece of elastic, in a closed circle? Like a scrunchie? maybe a couple of them, one top and one at middle, or maybe not

I am just looking for something a little different than the oval and stick , nothing wrong with those . Whatever , it has to be easy to do and hold I think the lace would be hard to do  and would have to be on the outside . I was going to try a Sam Brown button but I can't for the life of me find mine .  

@fredk Probably would work and I guess I could stitch it to the leather but this is  5 oz veg and I don't know if it would shape-up right but this might be the way to do it .

13 hours ago, Gezzer said:

@fredk Probably would work and I guess I could stitch it to the leather but this is  5 oz veg and I don't know if it would shape-up right but this might be the way to do it .

I think so, too. I sold crocheted flowers on an elastic ring (they sell fabric-coated elastic rings as hair ties in the cosmetics section of dollar stores) (€ 5/piece). You'd need a much smaller piece of leather that could remain flat and look good just floating on the pony tail. A little butterfly? Or a flower shape. Or... No scrap would be too small. 

Those hair ties also make bracelets for slim wrists. Maybe I should try some (no longer have hair to tie, but wrists are ok).

@chuck123wapati How much are you selling your hair claps for? 

@Gezzer btw, your piece is very nicely done, and inventive

We are all just thinking of alternatives and not dissing your creation

6 hours ago, Klara said:

I think so, too. I sold crocheted flowers on an elastic ring (they sell fabric-coated elastic rings as hair ties in the cosmetics section of dollar stores) (€ 5/piece). You'd need a much smaller piece of leather that could remain flat and look good just floating on the pony tail. A little butterfly? Or a flower shape. Or... No scrap would be too small. 

Those hair ties also make bracelets for slim wrists. Maybe I should try some (no longer have hair to tie, but wrists are ok).

@chuck123wapati How much are you selling your hair claps for? 

i usually sell them for ten bucks. that's double what i asked a few short years ago.

Actually, I like the idea of the snaps. I will try that. The sticks, I have discovered, can get tangled and the bands - scrunchies or whichever is used, often pull put hair when getting them off. Then, getting the hair off them is a pain, never mind the loss of  hair! What do other women do, I wonder.

31 minutes ago, Fraulein said:

Hey @chuck123wapati what length sticks do you use? 

i buy bamboo skewers from the grocery store and cut to length. Then brown them over a flame.

34 minutes ago, Fraulein said:

Hey @chuck123wapati what length sticks do you use? 

i also skive the edges a lot thinner now so the feathers look more real.

5 hours ago, fredk said:

@Gezzer btw, your piece is very nicely done, and inventive

We are all just thinking of alternatives and not dissing your creation

Thanks  !   

All is good , in fact I am kind of happy to provoke such discussion .

3 hours ago, SUP said:

Actually, I like the idea of the snaps. I will try that. The sticks, I have discovered, can get tangled and the bands - scrunchies or whichever is used, often pull put hair when getting them off. Then, getting the hair off them is a pain, never mind the loss of  hair! What do other women do, I wonder.

Let me know how it works for you please . I have a woman trying this one out and should hear from her tomorrow but a larger sample size is always better :spoton:

5 hours ago, Gezzer said:

Let me know how it works for you please . I have a woman trying this one out and should hear from her tomorrow but a larger sample size is always better :spoton:

Sure I will. Only it will be a little while, as I have a dozen half-done projects which are all needed tomorrow - birthdays etc. Once those are completed, I will make this - it will be a fun, relaxing thing for myself.

Edited by SUP

O K ,  thick haired lady said that she couldn't quite snap it . Her 16 year old daughter with not quite as coarse hair was able to and it worked well for her. 

So my take away is it might work for most ladies , also being veg tan you could wet it and stretch it over a broom handle or something .  

Well you never know until you try ............. so back to the drawing board  !

4 hours ago, Gezzer said:

O K ,  thick haired lady said that she couldn't quite snap it . Her 16 year old daughter with not quite as coarse hair was able to and it worked well for her. 

So my take away is it might work for most ladies , also being veg tan you could wet it and stretch it over a broom handle or something .  

Well you never know until you try ............. so back to the drawing board  !

I've got this idea. Take a button sew it on in the top center of your leather piece. then use a regular rubber hair tie and loop it around the button go around the braid then loop that end over the button again. it would fit any size braid. Or maybe two buttons one each where you placed the snap then use the rubber tie around both. Crap now I gotta make one! 

https://www.amazon.com/Goody-Womens-Elastic-Hair-Ties/dp/B005CSYUQA/ref=asc_df_B005CSYUQA?tag=bngsmtphsnus-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=80814222102129&hvnetw=s&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584413749535816&th=1