AzShooter

A New Quiver

I decided to combine my love of Archery and Leatherworking today.  I ordered a pattern from Tandy but they no longer make it.  Springfield Leather Co. had the same pattern batch so I was lucky enough to get one from them. 

I like the hip quiver with the forward rake.  Stopped using the backwards rake years ago after forgetting to shoot an arrow on one flight.  When I can see them I don't make such a stupid mistake twice.

I used some old leather that I had. Seven ounce worked for the entire job except the base. That took some 10 ounce for the circle and then the 7 ounce to finish it up.  The base was the hardest part of the job.

All is Hand stitched.  

I'd enjoy any and all comments.  Thanks for looking.

Steven

Quiver 1 2023.jpg

Looks good to me.:specool: How does it attach to a belt? You have that "flap" on the left but I'm puzzled how it's used. I suppose more photos may have helped.

Pretty nice. I gave some old leather to a grandfather last Xmas to make quivers for his grandkids.  Got a great thank you out of it. Looks good!

2 hours ago, dikman said:

Looks good to me.:specool: How does it attach to a belt? You have that "flap" on the left but I'm puzzled how it's used. I suppose more photos may have helped.

The top of the quiver is stitched together forming a belt loop. It's above where the pen is.

Belt goes through loops marked in green.

quiver with belt loop marked.jpg

Great quiver! I've started making a few myself. Fun projects for sure

Well done!

Nice quiver! I see you're a field/trad archer...that style is usually preferred by target archers, but I think it's the most functional. The back-leaning style never seemed functional to me. 

I see what you mean about the base. Perhaps it would have been easier if the base was smaller ( making the quiver more conical overall)? Maybe even teardrop shaped?

I never made a quiver, but I thought a lot about how to make one, and was part of the reason for starting my interest in leatherwork.

I am nowhere skilled enough to be able to remark anything, but I would offer a couple of ideas for your next quiver, if it happens...

1 - Make the arrow pouch easily detachable from the flap. You could then change one of the parts while keeping the other.

2 - (pet peeve with quivers): make an internal bag/purse for the arrows, that could be easily removed for cleaning. It's amazing how much dirt can accumulate at the bottom...

Overall, to the eyes of a newbie, this seems very nicely done. Congrats!

Daniel

i musta missed this, that is some great looking work !! Love archery for sure I use a quiver i modified solely for hunting years ago. i just rebuilt it in leather a couple months ago. it was a bow mounted quiver but now hangs on my belt. 

quiver1.jpg

Nice quiver Chuck.  I'm sure that looks great on your belt.

32 minutes ago, AzShooter said:

Nice quiver Chuck.  I'm sure that looks great on your belt.

lol my friends say i look like a grouse I have tail feathers, i wear it in back while still hunting so critters cant see it or me pulling out another arrow.

AZ, I'm digging the quiver!

Chuck & AZ - how bout a couple mor pics from top and back?????

Nice quiver, and a great start. Now comes the bow case, wrist guard, finger tabs or gloves and any decorative or other functional items you heart desires.

Leather fletching, perhaps? :cheers: