shoe

White machine

It's nearby and affordable,  should i?

Screenshot_20230912_194235_Facebook.jpg

@shoe - That looks like an old domestic machine, in spite of the (what appears to be) leather piece.  It's unlikely that it would be suitable for any leather sewing other than just for the very thinnest.  Do you have any sewing machine now?  What do you intend to sew?  There is NO one machine that is the best (or even suitable) for every use, which is why so many of us have many machines.

Yep, domestic machine. Unless you need one don't bother, as said above not much use for leatherwork.

Yep I second that  :17:, its a   domestic. It might be  OK for  thin leathers , perhaps.

I have a old  Necchi of the same ' ilk' , good machine, but not much good for what I want to sew. 

HS

On 9/13/2023 at 10:24 AM, MtlBiker said:

@shoe - That looks like an old domestic machine, in spite of the (what appears to be) leather piece.  It's unlikely that it would be suitable for any leather sewing other than just for the very thinnest.  Do you have any sewing machine now?  What do you intend to sew?  There is NO one machine that is the best (or even suitable) for every use, which is why so many of us have many machines.

Thank you,  I thought it looked too light for much more than garment leather. I'd like one to sew wallets, backing on straps and holsters. 

1 hour ago, shoe said:

Thank you,  I thought it looked too light for much more than garment leather. I'd like one to sew wallets, backing on straps and holsters. 

I think it would be pretty tough (maybe impossible) to find ONE machine that can sew everything from wallets to holsters.  At least not without a LOT of re-adjusting the machine.  I don't do holsters but my understanding is that you need a really heavy duty (monster) of a machine to do that, and those machines wouldn't do well with wallets.

1 hour ago, shoe said:

I'd like one to sew wallets, backing on straps and holsters. 

To cover your range of items you IMO would need a class 441 machine like the Juki TSC-441 or similar clone to sew holsters with the thickness of leather needed in conjunction with the heavy thread that would also be required, V277 and thicker. For wallets I would suggest a cylinder arm machine like a Juki LS-1341 or similar clone as it can be converted to a flatbed by adding a flatbed table attachment. There are needle plates and feed dogs available to allow a class 441 machine to sew thinner items with much thinner thread. 

A lot will depend on your pocket book, these machines even used are not a cheap investment.

kgg

8 hours ago, shoe said:

I'd like one to sew wallets, backing on straps and holsters.

There are a handful of machines that fill the gap between a full blown 441 clone and a traditional walking foot upholstery grade machine. These in-between machines start life as walking foot machines that have beefed up take-up parts, extra large hooks, and stronger thread tension and foot pressure springs. Some even have dual top thread tensioners. Here are some for your consideration. Most of these can tension up to #207 thread, top and bottom and sew up to 7/16 inch of medium temper leather. They can still handle thinner needles and thread so you can sew wallets,  as well as tooled rifle slings/guitar straps with suede linings.

1. Adler 869
  2. Juki LU-1508NH
  3. Juki LS-1341
  4. Cobra Class 26
  5. Cowboy Cb6900 (aka: Cb1341)
  6. Techsew 4800