Have just finished gluing up two minor projects and the issue of stuck glue lids. I have one from earlier this year that I cannot open. I had to use a new one, and I've tried to clean glue off the screw threads with a disposable shop towel, but I'm not optimistic. I had stored the older can upside down, but don't think that helped.

Does anyone have a solution? I hate wasting glue.

I cant remember where I seen it, but I put some silicone based oil on the glue container threads with my finger. Seems to work for me, maybe not the right way. But since I started this I've wasted less glue. 

I apply a thin coat of mineral oil on the rim of each new bottle of glue. Then, I wipe it clean when I am done and reapply before closing. This way, it is easy to wipe off the rim and the new coat prevents sticking. I wipe the rim again before I use it the next time. It has helped me so far. I apply a very thin coat so it does not mix with the glue.

A pair of channel lock/water pump pliers or a pipe wrench should give you the torque twist off the cap.  - be careful not to crush the sheet metal can.   I've learned to wipe the threads inside the lid, and the threads on the can with a solvent every couple of uses.  I use acetone to clean the threads.  It does a good job dissolving contact cements. 

3 hours ago, TonyV said:

have you tried slip-joint pliers?

What type of glue? White glue? Contact cement, water based or other?

It's contact cement. Have tried channel-locks, but didn't really "shut down" on it from fear of crushing the top. Will have to try again.

Try squirting some thinner or acetone on the stuck threads then channel locks or toothed pipe wrench even.  I keep a little container of vaseline on my gluing bench and use a qtip to apply it to the container and lid threads.

3 hours ago, SUP said:

I apply a thin coat of mineral oil on the rim of each new bottle of glue. Then, I wipe it clean when I am done and reapply before closing. This way, it is easy to wipe off the rim and the new coat prevents sticking. I wipe the rim again before I use it the next time. It has helped me so far. I apply a very thin coat so it does not mix with the glue.

Will have to try that. I have the same problem with PVC cement.

2 hours ago, Littlef said:

A pair of channel lock/water pump pliers or a pipe wrench should give you the torque twist off the cap.  - be careful not to crush the sheet metal can.   I've learned to wipe the threads inside the lid, and the threads on the can with a solvent every couple of uses.  I use acetone to clean the threads.  It does a good job dissolving contact cements. 

Acetone sounds like a good idea. I wiped the threads down dry, but there's likely still a residue.

Clean the threads, then apply some petroleum jelly before reattaching the lid. It lasts a surprisingly long time.

No need to reapply each time you open the jar.

+1 for vaseline