WalterF

A Plain Holster

Finished a holster for a Ruger Blackhawk with 7 1/2 inch barrel. This one reminds me of my step fathers. Built for a lifetime of use. Lefthanded cross draw with loops on the right. This is the first holster I have designed.

Ricks Holster.jpg

Looks darn good from here . . . 

May God bless,

Dwight

More of the same excellent quality we can  expect coming out of your shop! As Billy Crystal would say "Marvelous darling".

Looks great! Nice work you do. Lovely holster.

I like it. As much as I do enjoy doing crazy carving and tooling jobs it is hard to go wrong with a  simple classic look. Another beautiful job sir.

good clean lookin rig.  Its built like a tank.  love it.

5 hours ago, Dwight said:

Looks darn good from here . . . 

May God bless,

Dwight

Thank you

He has more than I deserve.

4 hours ago, rleather said:

More of the same excellent quality we can  expect coming out of your shop! As Billy Crystal would say "Marvelous darling".

Thank you, try to build like every piece is for me.

4 hours ago, DieselTech said:

Looks great! Nice work you do. Lovely holster.

Thank you

1 hour ago, HandyDave said:

I like it. As much as I do enjoy doing crazy carving and tooling jobs it is hard to go wrong with a  simple classic look. Another beautiful job sir.

You are right, simple and clean has a charm. Thank you

1 hour ago, Littlef said:

good clean lookin rig.  Its built like a tank.  love it.

Thank you, it was fun folding.

2 hours ago, DeWayne Hayes said:

That's tremendous!  Wish I could work leather that thick. 

It's called veggie tan . . . WET . . . 

and  . . . PERSEVERANCE . . . 

LOL . . . may God bless,

Dwight

13 hours ago, DeWayne Hayes said:

That's tremendous!  Wish I could work leather that thick. 

It wasn't bad, water and patience were needed when folding the holster. The positive side is it maintains its shape with little flex. 

Very nice Walter! 

Instead of stating the obvious things about the great look and workmanship, I'll say I appreciate the high res pictures so I can really zoom in on the details as I plot to steal some of them ... :)

I've never done a double layer holster but I have some 5-6 oz leather that may be great for it. I like the smooth interior.

7 hours ago, Hags said:

Very nice Walter! 

Thank you

6 hours ago, AlZilla said:

Instead of stating the obvious things about the great look and workmanship, I'll say I appreciate the high res pictures so I can really zoom in on the details as I plot to steal some of them ... :)

I've never done a double layer holster but I have some 5-6 oz leather that may be great for it. I like the smooth interior.

Your welcome, if you have any questions about it let me know. sharing helps us all.

10 hours ago, WalterF said:

Your welcome, if you have any questions about it let me know. sharing helps us all.

I am a little curious about the belt loop attachment, Does it bridge between the flap and holster?

The whole rig makes me wish I was a cowboy so I'd have an excuse to wear it to town.

Thanks

Screenshot from 2024-01-07 10-01-28.png

51 minutes ago, AlZilla said:

I am a little curious about the belt loop attachment, Does it bridge between the flap and holster?

The whole rig makes me wish I was a cowboy so I'd have an excuse to wear it to town.

Thanks

Screenshot from 2024-01-07 10-01-28.png

Was wondering if anyone would pick up on it. The piece in the middle of the photo is to prevent the holster from shifting when drawing or holstering the gun. The holster still will slide on the belt, yet has little vertical play. It is 3 pieces of leather 2 for the shelf and one for the keeper all the same thickness as the belt.

Forgot to mention the piece is only secured by 2 rivets to the skirt (flap), to remove the holster from the belt easier undo the buckle and it comes right off.

32 minutes ago, WalterF said:

Forgot to mention the piece is only secured by 2 rivets to the skirt (flap), to remove the holster from the belt easier undo the buckle and it comes right off.

Thank you for the explanation. The whole thing is a study in functional simplicity.