Sinbad395

I know what I would change--what do you see?

This was an attempt to improve my skills....new set of steep angle bevelers and thumbprints from Pro Leather Carvers, new 1lb maul vs 12oz mallet (Tandy)  and first time with Fiebings antique paste.  Also used Tandy Canyon Tan, Deep Evening Blue, Fiebings Pro Yellow

on 5-6 oz veg tan.  Loved the bevelers---maul needs practice but I like it and will look for upgrades as I spend more time with it. Thumbprints were a nice add to what I had, but need refinement. Watched a Joe Mehling? video.  I think I might have liked to resist the vinework before the antique to give it more of a 3 tone look.  PS  I will not be offended by any comments made here..  I love the dialogue  here and have learned so much about different techniques, it makes my head spin. So fire away---what do you see?

wallet 1.jpg

I think it looks great! No complaints from me. Nice work. 

:17: 

HS

17 hours ago, DieselTech said:

I think it looks great! No complaints from me. Nice work. 

Thank you

14 hours ago, Handstitched said:

:17: 

HS

thank you

Looks very nice to me. I'd be proud if that was my work.

@Sinbad395 would you mind telling me which brand & texture of steep angle bevelers did you get from Pro Leather carvers? 

Thanks. 

I DO NOT LIKE that "ant-streak" junk. Its nothing you did, I just hate that JUNK.  Always looks to me like what's left behind when the puddles dry up after a rain.  I've tried half a dozen variations of it, and they all suck :crazy:

Occasionally, I get somebody who specifically ASKS for that stuff, I think because somebody else talked about it. So I have some on the shelf, but I apply it only with a finger tip, exactly where I want it, and more than once I've thrown it out because it got old before it got used up.

With the design you have there, I would completely eliminate that border at the top of your pic - all three of those straight lines, just don't include them at all.

21 hours ago, JLSleather said:

I DO NOT LIKE that "ant-streak" junk. Its nothing you did, I just hate that JUNK.  Always looks to me like what's left behind when the puddles dry up after a rain.  I've tried half a dozen variations of it, and they all suck :crazy:

Occasionally, I get somebody who specifically ASKS for that stuff, I think because somebody else talked about it. So I have some on the shelf, but I apply it only with a finger tip, exactly where I want it, and more than once I've thrown it out because it got old before it got used up.

With the design you have there, I would completely eliminate that border at the top of your pic - all three of those straight lines, just don't include them at all.

Thanks for the feed back---been kinda looking for new background tools-  just haven't made up my mind     Never thought about the 3 lines--now that you mention  kinda out of place  should have filled in that space

22 hours ago, DieselTech said:

@Sinbad395 would you mind telling me which brand & texture of steep angle bevelers did you get from Pro Leather carvers? 

Thanks. 

Sheridan Style Steel Steep Angle Checkered Beveler Stamp Set include numbers SKB701-2, SKB702-2 & SKB936-2.   Craft Japan Tool

22 hours ago, DieselTech said:

Thanks. 

Sheridan Style Steel Steep Angle Checkered Beveler Stamp Set include numbers SKB701-2, SKB702-2 & SKB936-2.  Craft Japan Tool

6 minutes ago, Sinbad395 said:

Thanks for the feed back---been kinda looking for new background tools-  just haven't made up my mind     Never thought about the 3 lines--now that you mention  kinda out of place  should have filled in that space

Sheridan Style Steel Steep Angle Checkered Beveler Stamp Set include numbers SKB701-2, SKB702-2 & SKB936-2.   Craft Japan Tool

Sheridan Style Steel Steep Angle Checkered Beveler Stamp Set include numbers SKB701-2, SKB702-2 & SKB936-2.  Craft Japan Tool

Thank you. I appreciate it. I think that might be the same set I ordered. 

I love the morning glories!

Only thing that jumps out at me is that pebble backgrounder. I use that one a lot. If you rotate it back and forth at random, it looks more natural. In your background you can see the repeating pattern.

Like the unique artwork.  Very pretty.  The edges could be more finished.  Shaping the rounded corners on a drum or belt sander before edging, sharpening/stropping the edger to get a clean even bevel, a bit more burnishing work.  Thanks for posting.

I think the bottom design looks better because of the "fade" effect you used with the background tool. The top one has an abrupt edge, and it just doesn't look as clean and professional. 

That's looking pretty good, there. The touch of color is nice. Your new stamps seem to do the trick for you. Keep at it, you're doing good.

You mentioned you're looking for new background tools. Try the fine, cross-hatched ones like the Tandy A-104, which I have used for many years. I don't like busy background tools because the patterns can overpower the design tooling. I've tried many different background tools and the A-104 is still my favorite. To get into tight places, I filed one smaller but it's still the same pattern. This compares some background patterns. On the left is the A-104 (and the A-104 I filed smaller).

Backgrounders02.JPG.22dd2a6acf9e064b7ce1fecc165dde33.JPG

This was done with an A-104.

IMG_9082-1.JPG.5c929d0d51221f52260aa246feb25274.JPG

15 hours ago, Ddat said:

I love the morning glories!

Only thing that jumps out at me is that pebble backgrounder. I use that one a lot. If you rotate it back and forth at random, it looks more natural. In your background you can see the repeating pattern.

well  I tried to remember that... guess I was just getting carried away at that point   Thank for looking

1 hour ago, MarshalWill said:

That's looking pretty good, there. The touch of color is nice. Your new stamps seem to do the trick for you. Keep at it, you're doing good.

You mentioned you're looking for new background tools. Try the fine, cross-hatched ones like the Tandy A-104, which I have used for many years. I don't like busy background tools because the patterns can overpower the design tooling. I've tried many different background tools and the A-104 is still my favorite. To get into tight places, I filed one smaller but it's still the same pattern. This compares some background patterns. On the left is the A-104 (and the A-104 I filed smaller).

Backgrounders02.JPG.22dd2a6acf9e064b7ce1fecc165dde33.JPG

This was done with an A-104.

IMG_9082-1.JPG.5c929d0d51221f52260aa246feb25274.JPG

Thanks for the suggestion.  I will look into that one---not a huge investment there.

14 hours ago, TomE said:

Like the unique artwork.  Very pretty.  The edges could be more finished.  Shaping the rounded corners on a drum or belt sander before edging, sharpening/stropping the edger to get a clean even bevel, a bit more burnishing work.  Thanks for posting.

I probably should have mentioned the wallet is only half done. I like to do my dyeing before assembly and edge finishing. I'll post a pic when I've got it completed--installing a black pigskin interiaor

1 hour ago, Sinbad395 said:

Thanks for the suggestion.  I will look into that one---not a huge investment there.

The A-104 is a finer pattern than the newer A-104-2. You might find an original on ebay if one isn't available elsewhere.

17 minutes ago, MarshalWill said:

The A-104 is a finer pattern than the newer A-104-2. You might find an original on ebay if one isn't available elsewhere.

thanks for the heads up on that

30 minutes ago, MarshalWill said:

try and get an older tool

The newer ones are very smooth and have heavy plating which reduces it further

28 minutes ago, fredk said:

try and get an older tool

The newer ones are very smooth and have heavy plating which reduces it further

Good point about the newer ones. Thanks for bringing that up.