DavidK

Need Problem Solving - Bending Decorative layer on Quiver

Hello,

As an experiment im making an archery back quiver, and anticipating a problem. The pictures hopefully will make it more clear. I plan to attach these 3 5oz decorative panels to this 8oz quiver, the quiver will then fold in half and be stitched on the long side into a quiver shape.

The anticipated problem will be that after stitching the panels on while the quiver is flat, the panels wont allow the quiver to then fold into the taco and stitch into final shape. Any suggestions here on how best to attach the panels, or if a product like shoe stretch leather could help (after attaching, maybe leaving a section unstitched to stick a dauber into the back of the panels and work it into the flesh side?

Any suggestions appreciated, big, small, or project breaking :)

Thanks!
David

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

Edited by Northmount
replaced 3rd party hosted photos

Maybe I'm not thinking this thru or right. Lol

But why cant you fold your quiver the way it needs formed & then fold your decorative piece & place it where it needs to be & mark your 1st stitch hole on the decorative panel & the quiver. 

Then you can punch all your stitch holes in the decorative panel on the bench. Then once the quiver is shaped you can finish punching you holes in the quiver & hand sew the panels on. 

I also think you could tool your panels & then roughly shape your quiver & glue the panels on the quiver & then sew. 

I maybe totally wrong to. Cause I've never done a quiver. 

Glue and Stitch the panels on.

Wet the leather and let it sit a few minutes.

Bend to shape.

Let dry in that shape.  

Glue and stitch the edge.  

4 hours ago, chiefjason said:

Bend to shape.

Let dry in that shape.  

Chiefjason as a good process . . . and it'll work fine . . . 

On something like you are doing . . . because I have a sewing machine that will do it . . . because of the heavy duty curves . . . 

I would wet the quiver body . . . wrap it around a form that will give it pretty darn near the final shape you need . . . 

As it is drying I would wet the outside pieces . . . and form them to the outside shape of the quiver . . . and set the whole magillicutty off somewhere to dry

I would then contact cement the outside pieces to the quiver . . . then head for my Cowboy sewing machine . . . take off my  flat table . . . and sew the patches on.

Then just finish it all up.

But either way will work . . . my way is just a tad harder. . . but when you get the patches on . . . there will be no tendency for the quiver to want to go back to laying flat.  Makes the final sewing a whole bunch easier.

May God bless,

Dwight

9 hours ago, DavidK said:

The pictures hopefully will make it more clear.

Please post your photos here.  3rd party hosted photos frequently disappear due to changes in the host's policies, host out of business, users moving files, deleting files, closing their account or the account expiring.  When this happens, the post becomes worthless to all future users who are researching or looking for help to solve a problem.

If your files are too large to post here due to file size restrictions, you need to resize your files to fit.  Follow this link for some helps and suggestions.  https://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/15122-how-to-post-pictures-on-lw/?do=findComment&comment=551171 There are lots of Apps, software, and online tools available on the web, or even built into your device to enable you to reduce your file sizes.  800 pixels in the longest dimension is quite adequate.  Smart phone screens and many monitors don't display high res files in high resolution.  People that live on the fringes of the internet appreciate smaller file sizes and high res photos may take from 10 minutes to hours to download.

16 hours ago, chiefjason said:

Bend to shape.

Let dry in that shape.  

12 hours ago, Dwight said:

Chiefjason as a good process . . . and it'll work fine . . . 

On something like you are doing . . . because I have a sewing machine that will do it . . . because of the heavy duty curves . . . 

I would wet the quiver body . . . wrap it around a form that will give it pretty darn near the final shape you need . . . 

As it is drying I would wet the outside pieces . . . and form them to the outside shape of the quiver . . . and set the whole magillicutty off somewhere to dry

I would then contact cement the outside pieces to the quiver . . . then head for my Cowboy sewing machine . . . take off my  flat table . . . and sew the patches on.

Then just finish it all up.

But either way will work . . . my way is just a tad harder. . . but when you get the patches on . . . there will be no tendency for the quiver to want to go back to laying flat.  Makes the final sewing a whole bunch easier.

May God bless,

Dwight

Thanks for the suggestions! I unfortunately dont have a machine so that is out of the question for me, but besides that I intend to dye, finish and seal these pieces before sewing. I think that would present problems for wetting, since once the piece is sealed it wont accept the water, and the water could affect the final coloring.

Any thoughts on changing process to maybe make this work?

Currently I:

Cut
Tool/Stamp (I am here now)
Dye
Finish
Seal
Stitch

Was not counting on wet forming at all here since its a pretty simple shape and i think the main quiver body will be fine to bend in half without wetting. BUT wetting the panels makes sense to introduce flexibility. Any suggestions?

Edited by DavidK

Yeah . . . that one is simple

Cut . . . tool . . stamp . . . dye

ASSEMBLE AND STITCH

Finish . . . 

Doing it in that order . . . you will be able to dampen . . . not slurpy wet . . . just dampen and bend it around a form and allow it to dry there.

Stitching two pieces together and then bending . . . will 99 times out of 100 cause wrinkles on the inside and you will usually wind up with a shape you can live with . . . but it may not be "just what you wanted".  Forming . . . mating to gether after formed . . . then glued and stitched will give you THE SHAPE you wanted.

May God bless,

Dwight

15 minutes ago, Dwight said:

Yeah . . . that one is simple

Cut . . . tool . . stamp . . . dye

ASSEMBLE AND STITCH

Finish . . . 

Doing it in that order . . . you will be able to dampen . . . not slurpy wet . . . just dampen and bend it around a form and allow it to dry there.

Stitching two pieces together and then bending . . . will 99 times out of 100 cause wrinkles on the inside and you will usually wind up with a shape you can live with . . . but it may not be "just what you wanted".  Forming . . . mating to gether after formed . . . then glued and stitched will give you THE SHAPE you wanted.

May God bless,

Dwight

Ok, just to clarify, you are suggesting:

Tool, Stamp, Punch holes on decorative panels, Form?, Dye, cement, stitch

Thanks again!

David

5 hours ago, DavidK said:

Ok, just to clarify, you are suggesting:

Tool, Stamp, Punch holes on decorative panels, Form?, Dye, cement, stitch

Thanks again!

David

That's it . . . have run

May God bless,

Dwight

I think you're over thinking this. Just go easy on the glue which will make it more rigid and use a longer stitch length. Easy enough to dry run with a couple of pieces of scrap.