PAMuzzle

Gluing VegTan Leather to Polypropylene Plastic

My brother bought these boxes for his grandkids.  He wants me to glue VegTan leather name tags on the tops.  Boxes are polypropylene.

What would be best glue for this.  I use Barge for most of my gluing.

Thanks.

IMG_5327.jpeg

IMG_5326.jpeg

A rivet in each corner is sure to work.

two part epoxy

7 minutes ago, Daffy said:

two part epoxy

Yes this is a better choice than Renia, I didn't think about the fact that it doesn't have to flex

Make sure you rough up the area for the patch to be glued or epoxied. Rough the box area up with 80 grit sand paper where the patch will be glued or epoxied. I would use west systems G-Flex 650 toughened 2 part epoxy. 

Edited by DieselTech

I agree with toxo, rivets will work. The foam on the back side will protect the contents of the box.

Drill holes and then saddle stitch it. I don't think rivets are a good idea it would be to easy to crack the plastic.

If they are going to fly with the case/boxes, wont drilling holes mess the pressure system the box was designed for doing. Plus it just introduces a place for water to get into the box/case & takes away from it being a water tight case/box. 

16 hours ago, DieselTech said:

If they are going to fly with the case/boxes, wont drilling holes mess the pressure system the box was designed for doing. Plus it just introduces a place for water to get into the box/case & takes away from it being a water tight case/box. 

Exactly what I was thinking.

Thanks all.  I don’t want to drill through for rivets.  I will try to get a piece of polypropylene and try gluing.

20 minutes ago, PAMuzzle said:

Exactly what I was thinking.

Not to influence your thinking but aircraft and boats have been riveted together for quite a while now.

The only reason I suggested not to drill any holes in it is, I know how expensive the pelican style boxes/cases can be. & to me drilling holes in the box just ruins the integrity of the box/case. 

Personally I wouldn't want to drill holes in those cases unless it was a last resort, but it is probably the only way of making a permanent attachment. Gluing pp-type plastics is a real pain as not much will stick to it, you would normally have to use some sort of solvent-type glue but that doesn't tend to work too well with leather (other than contact cement). Barge cement will work, but the question is how long will it stay attached.

I wouldn't attempt to cover those boxes but I'd use double-side sticky tape.   I have sheets of double-sided sticky which stick stronger than any glue and it is water proof