SpartanCarry

New apprentice with new tools!

I just accepted a new position as an apprentice sewing machine mechanic at a local (Philly) textile plant. Probably 75 sewists and 150 machines of many different sorts, everything from single stitch straight machines to computerized pattern tackers, and a whole fleet of aging 68 and 69 tackers. I’m training under a tech who’s 79, spry, and seems to know everything there is to know about sewing machines! I’m an eager apprentice at the age of 49, a mere kid! 

Anyway, I’m putting together my own tool kit for the floor. I took a survey of what was in his bag, and basically copied that. What isn’t shown is a set of metric and sae allen wrenches and another set of metric ignition wrenches 4-11mm, and a long-handled phillips head. The Chapman 1/4 bit driver set is my own addition.

Other things I added are the peg, because most of the tables are missing them, the two pink mini screwdrivers (because they were my grandmother’s, who was a seamstress), the earbuds, thread snips (because I’m snobby about them), and the tweezers, which i use a lot for threading in tight areas, like sergers (though we have very few sergers, mercifully). I also have an ipad with all the machine-specific and general manuals like those @gottaknow posted a while back. For my down time, or for reference. 

Anything missing that you’d all suggest I add? I can always walk back to the shop to fill in a gap but the more complete my bag is the less I have to walk—and the quicker I can get the operators sewing again.

IMG_4766.jpeg

Looks pretty complete, though I don't know why a small set of 1/4" (or nut-drivers) or 3/8" sockets wouldn't come in handy.  Also, a couple of "C" or "E" clip tools might come in handy, as well. 

Edited by GerryR

Congratulations on the position :-)

I think that I'd add small telescope magnet and maybe some sewing machine oil and some brake cleaner.

Brgds Jonas

25 minutes ago, GerryR said:

Looks pretty complete, though I don't know why a small set of 1/4" (or nut-drivers) or 3/8" sockets wouldn't come in handy.  Also, a couple of "C" or "E" clip tools might come in handy, as well. 

I had to look up C and E clip tools. Makes sense! I never what those things were called. I guess I called them retaining clips. 

A driver is probably a good idea! 

The current mechanic has a pair of bent-nose pliers. I wonder if he uses them for C or E clips. I’ll have to ask. Thanks!

BTW I should have said that I have no formal training. Just a bunch of machines I’ve been fixing and using for the past 7 years or so. Lots to learn. 

25 minutes ago, Mulesaw said:

Congratulations on the position :-)

I think that I'd add small telescope magnet and maybe some sewing machine oil and some brake cleaner.

Brgds Jonas

The ladies usually have oil handy. But I might bring along my M1 oiler, which is a tiny little self-contained thing perfect when you just need a drop or two. And it doesn’t leak! (Lee Enfields have the same thing). The flashlight has a strong magnet on the telescoping end, but it might be size limited in tight spaces. Thanks!

A bigger hammer!! :rolleyes: Just joking, looks like a reasonable tool kit, one thing I find indispensable is one of those head magnifiers - but that's 'cos I'm older than you!

Congratulations on the job.:specool:

1 hour ago, dikman said:

A bigger hammer!! :rolleyes: Just joking, looks like a reasonable tool kit, one thing I find indispensable is one of those head magnifiers - but that's 'cos I'm older than you!

Some of the 68s could use a sledgehammer, especially the ones converted to take a big bobbin. They shake like a preacher in a tent revival. 

Thanks! I’m really excited about it. Came out of nowhere. Real different than my last gig (running a science museum!). First week was good, we’ll see what this week throws at me. Lots of timing and tension issues, changing knee lift positions, sharpening thread snips and adjusting right angle edge binders. 

I might get a head magnifier. I might be younger, but my vision is not super. I have bifocal lenses but I still see better close up without my glasses on. I noticed the mechanic has a magnifying glass in his kit, too. 

Congratulations on your new job. 

1 hour ago, dikman said:

ya .. a  nice Magnifier for sure , and also some 'soft' super-fine grit emery cloth for smoothing Hooks and also need something to remove nick's on needle plate, and other sharp spots ..etc. that you run across.

edit add:

Besides a nice tool carry box for repair and cleaning . Also I seen some repair techs. run a hang-harness/ chest mount that has a lot of common small hand tools at easy reach . Also...LOL  you will be cleaning and blowing out a lot of thread and fabric Lint and oil everyday, If a machine is run for 8 hr. shifts it's incredible the amount of filth they accumulate.

Edited by nylonRigging

Congratulations!

To the great suggestions above, I'd add a small inspection mirror, a small flashlight, a nut driver set (Klein tools has a great new set with hollow shafts for longer screws), a little organizer box with common sizes of small screws, C and E clips (they have a way of flying away from you to God knows where when you remove them), some spring hooks, and for hex wrenches get the ball end ones, they're great!    I'd add some slip stones to your abrasives.  Consider a backpack tool bag to carry tools around, it'll spread the weight over both shoulders (your back will eventually thank you!).  

Over time, you'll figure out what you use most and should carry around, and what is useful but better left in the workshop.  

- Bill

Congratulations. That sounds like an interesting job. If you carry a tool belt, you may want to consider a shoulder strap or straps to ease the uneven weight on one side of your waist. When I was young, I worked as a plant mechanic in a food processing plant and as billybopp said, you'll soon figure out what tools you will need the most and what you won't.

I'd probably add a couple cans of compressed air, a #2 rubber mallet, a couple 4 ounce precision oilers with brass tubes, Walmart 18 packs of cheap white wash rags to clean oil drippings, a jar of Goo-B-Gone, wool daubers, a bunch of large flat metal theaders with the diamond shaped wires on the end, some felt pieces to replace any that are missing, and some rubber machine corner mounts to replace those that are missing on tables, plus thin nails to secure the corner mounts.

With all the stuff recommended, he will need a roll-around tool box!!:rolleyes2: