LiftPig

Bullet Loops - Rimless Cartridge

I've been asked to make a cartridge holder for 6 rounds of 7PRC.  I've made bullet loops before but never for rimless cartridges.  To keep the rounds from sliding down and out of the loops, what's everyone done?  I was thinking of embedding a piece of nylon cord under the top layer of leather for the shoulder to butt up against or even to use domed rivets but if there's a better way, I'd do that.

Cheers,

-J

Dont a 7mm PRC have a slight taper to the cartridge. Are they looking for a cartridge holder for hunting? Or a cartridge holder for PRC bench rest shooting? 

I think if they wanted loops, I would add a piece of leather to cup the bullet itself. Kind of like a shelf or even a second row of loops to cover the bullet. 

Like this is what I was trying to explain.

php9fJ1bqAM.jpg

Edited by DieselTech

1 hour ago, LiftPig said:

I've been asked to make a cartridge holder for 6 rounds of 7PRC.  I've made bullet loops before but never for rimless cartridges.  To keep the rounds from sliding down and out of the loops, what's everyone done?  I was thinking of embedding a piece of nylon cord under the top layer of leather for the shoulder to butt up against or even to use domed rivets but if there's a better way, I'd do that.

Cheers,

-J

Does it have to be a loop type cartridge holder? I once had a Mosin Nagant ammo pouch that I really liked the look of, I just never had the need for making a single version of it.

Something like a single part of the picture sized to house 6 rounds.

If it has to be a loop type, could you use a piece of thick leather maybe 3/8" wide that you sewed under the loops, for the shoulders to rest on?  Kind of like your idea with paracord except the leather would be on the outside.

Another option is to make the loops with a bottom, but then you'd have to put the rounds in with the projectile facing up. I've attached a picture of an old experiment of mine for shotgun shells. So kind of the same system.

1913717520_66402918935__D0B489E0-FA0E-49DC-8D97-B55510062969(002).jpg.9c48ba7d6747182f0fa0f02270d99f5a.jpg

Mosin Nagant  Ammo Pouch POLISH Early Leather

I think you could just taper the bottom of the loop a bit so that it is narrower than the shoulder of the cartridge. Like other similar wildcat-like rounds, it has a fairly sharp, defined shoulder. I would think that making the loop fairly deep and a bit tapered at the bottom would do the trick.

@chuck123wapati made a cartridge loop pouch of sorts. Not at my computer atm so can’t find it quickly, but as I recall, it has a bottom to it so that the cartridges sit in a pouch, rather than in a true loop exactly. That may not fit the bill, but it’s worth a look. 

I have made several cartridge carries with single loops for rifle cartridges.  As long as you use a wide piece(I use 1") for the loop and make it tight I have never has one come loose.  I have a sling that I put 5 loops on for caring 30-06 cartridges in and I have carried it all day and never had one come loose.  I have even put empties back in the loops with no issues.  I will see if I have a picture of that sling.  The picture is of a different one but the same concept.

Todd

IMG_4346resized.jpg

Edited by Hildebrand
add photo

5 hours ago, DieselTech said:

Dont a 7mm PRC have a slight taper to the cartridge. Are they looking for a cartridge holder for hunting? Or a cartridge holder for PRC bench rest shooting? 

A very slight taper.  0.50" at the shoulder, 0.54" at the rim.  Probably enough to keep things in so long as the loops don't stretch too much.  The work is for hunting. 

3 hours ago, Hildebrand said:

I have made several cartridge carries with single loops for rifle cartridges.  As long as you use a wide piece(I use 1") for the loop and make it tight I have never has one come loose.  I have a sling that I put 5 loops on for caring 30-06 cartridges in and I have carried it all day and never had one come loose.  I have even put empties back in the loops with no issues.  I will see if I have a picture of that sling.  The picture is of a different one but the same concept.

Todd

IMG_4346resized.jpg

Beautiful work.  I think you're right, as long as I make the loops nice and wide and out of 6oz or greater so they don't stretch I'll be okay.  I might sew a 3/8" wide strip right where the shoulder is just for "safety", by which I mean to satisfy a nervous customer who kept asking how I'd ensure that his rounds don't fall out while he walks.  

What about a thick piece of leather as a strap sewn on below the loops?

I made a butt stock cover for my 30-06 with 5 or 6 cartridge loops, 3/4" loops, no taper23099.thumb.jpeg.fb58d13e403b12a9b8bb3d0a840b9e94.jpeg. I hunt in the rain, in the heat, bust brush, get them absolutely soaked, and I haven't had one pop up missing, yet. Been using it for about 2 years now.

17 minutes ago, Ddat said:

I made a butt stock cover for my 30-06 with 5 or 6 cartridge loops, 3/4" loops, no taper23099.thumb.jpeg.fb58d13e403b12a9b8bb3d0a840b9e94.jpeg. I hunt in the rain, in the heat, bust brush, get them absolutely soaked, and I haven't had one pop up missing, yet. Been using it for about 2 years now.

Do you mind sharing some closer shots of that butt cuff? I would love to make something very similar, cheek riser, loops, and all, but I haven’t quite digested how to put together the pattern. 

I've had .45ACP loops on a belt before . . . they were just made tight . . . never ever lost a bullet . . . 

Don't have any of mine move either that are 45 LC or .44 mag . . . or .357 mag.  Where I put em they stay.

It's all in doing it correctly the first time . . . 

May God bless,

Dwight

21 hours ago, Mablung said:

Do you mind sharing some closer shots of that butt cuff? I would love to make something very similar, cheek riser, loops, and all, but I haven’t quite digested how to put together the pattern. 

I'll post some in the morning

On 3/15/2024 at 8:37 PM, Ddat said:

That scope cover is beautiful. I need to make me one of those.