setzerjett

leather workshop shed

hi im getting a new shed for leatherwork 14’x8’   i like to make  belts , ive got these machines  1, tandy tipping machine  2, tandy  multi strap cutting machine ,  3, tandy  pro hand press ,4,  tandy  red hand press, 5,  tandy burnisher machine, 6,  tandy  hand skiving  splitter ,7,  tandy hand  crank embossing machine ,8, small hand skiving machine ,9,  Chinese  patcher machine , 10,  Bunkhouse Tools Original Hand Crank Leather Embossing Machine  11,Bunkhouse Tools Mini Embosser  12,  arbor   press  13,  10 ton bearring press 

im after ideas  how to set these up best  in shed  ie layout  sort on benches    i wasnt sure if to put  an island  bench in middle of shed 

any help be great  im hobbyest  not a  bussinness  thx  guys  

I think depends on your starting point and process for belts. I have a 4x8 ft work bench in the middle of my space with machines around the outside. I am rolling out sides on the bench to cut straps. I use hand tools on the bench for cutting, edging, creasing, skiving, dyeing, burnishing, and assembling. I like being able to spread out my work.  

Depends on How much you need to move around but Here's some thoughts. I built all kinds of stuff and several saddles in an 8X14 space with two sewing machines, a cutting table, and stamping bench. It was so damn tight I wonder now I got anything done.  I like a big table like Tom but I think for the sake of being able to move around, you are going to need to size down to 3x8. Likely it will need to go against a wall. You've got a bunch of bench top machines that take up real estate. Decide if they all need to be mounted in a dedicated spot or can be bolted to a modular base and stored away when not in use. A bunch of old time shops mounted splitters and bench top machines to a board that slid into a slot in the bench, then pulled out and stored underneath. Think about storage of leather, glue, hardware too. 

A few considerations about shed-shops from being in a bunch. Insulate, insulate, insulate. Have a heating and air conditioning system. Put in twice as many outlets as you think you will need. Put in three times as much lighting as you think you will need, and LED is your friend. Be able to ventilate if you use glues or finishes. 

25 minutes ago, bruce johnson said:

A few considerations about shed-shops from being in a bunch. Insulate, insulate, insulate. Have a heating and air conditioning system. Put in twice as many outlets as you think you will need. Put in three times as much lighting as you think you will need, and LED is your friend. Be able to ventilate if you use glues or finishes. 

These are some super great tips here. Specially the lighting. I went with the 4 foot 2 bulb shop lights in led with the pull cords. I bought a 12 pack of the 15 year led fixtures cheap on the Amazon.  I wanted to have zones of light where I'm workin at each moment instead of having every light on all the time. I also have a few desk lamps I can move around and headlamps hanging next to carving/tooling bench. Plenty of light. I started to build my shop at 12x12 and ended up with 20x24 and still feel like I need more space at times. I've got a 4x8 main work table on heavy locking casters in center of one side that can move around if need be. And stationary built in benches down 2 walls where my sanders and other bench top stuff sets. The other side of shop is racks and shelves and hooks for storing everything used in leatherwork. 

On 3/31/2024 at 9:23 AM, HandyDave said:

I started to build my shop at 12x12 and ended up with 20x24

I know how you feel. My workshop is a 20 x 20  with a few 'island  cutting benches' down the centre, a dyeing bench, a few work benches and 4 machines, plus storage , and just when I thought I had plenty of space, it filled up real quick . Now I need a bigger workshop. I keep saying, 'One Powerball', and I'll expand my workshop. Still waiting :whistle:

HS

I learned a long time ago that when it comes to sheds there is a fool proof formula to picking a size . what you think you will comfortably need and then double it 

I'm guessing you have a window fan to help air circulation, and keep you cool, also something to heat with (infrared heater to a wood stove) I'm working out of a 16x20 foot shed (4.88x6.1 meters) I'm located in North Carolina and the temperatures range from freezing cold to holy crap hot. A woodstove and an air conditioner are required, plus a fan to move the air around helps keep comfortable. 

When working in a small space, a couple things will help a lot.  I got these tips when I started in a 12x20 shop.  I had shelves down one side, half the other, and two workbenches.

Clutter is your worst enemy. Those blown molded cases the tools came in?  Unless you will be hauling the tools around, donate them to your carpenter friends.  Their cases are probably beat up and missing handles, they can use them, you can use the space.

Scraps... I was guilty of hoarding scraps.  I might need this.  In most cases your space is more valuable than that 55 gallon trash can of scraps you held for a year and never used.  Honestly evaluate off cuts and toss those you are likely to not use. Yes, materials are expensive, space is valuable.

Organize.  I was told to put one cabinet in the end of the shop, get rid of the other shelves.  Opened up floor and wall space.  Then, put stuff in it's place when you are done.  You won't spend time looking for the last place you laid down a tool in the clutter.

For several of the bench mounted tools, maybe look at some of the stands that have 3 surfaces to mount tools on and they rotate around and lock in place.  That way you are able to use 3 tools but only taking the floor space for 1.

Todd

Edited by Hildebrand
additional information

I thought I had responded but don't see it..  I built a 22x12 shed and it wasn't big enough so added another 10 feet to it and its still not big enough..  I have 2 benches..a skiver, a cobra splitter, a cobra class 26, an OMTECH 22x28 laser.. a desk for a computer, a desk for shipping..and a room with shelving for inventory.. with that said, the last 10 x 12 is for riding lawn mower and weed eaters..  I added a black and decker ac/heater/dehumidifier and another humidifier..  I find my self shuffling around my stuff to make room.. my sewing machine, skiver and splitter are on casters so I can roll them in the inventory room.. my benches are more narrow than I like but didn;t have a lot of room.. they are harbor freight oak benches.. my Vevor press on on one of the benches... I bring my heat press, sander/burnisher and hat press from the storage room when not using it.. Attached are my pictures from the inside...  I do agree with insulate..insulate..insulate..and as many LED Lights as you can get.. I about 6 harbor freight 5000 Lumen LED lights and 4 lights on the bench..

when I built my shed, I was trying to stay under the radar of my hoa (I got caught and had to submit plans that were approved).  I made a huge design flaw in that the pitch of my roof was way to low to stay under the fence line.  my first room leaked BADLY.. I ripped that off and put ice and water barrier with a roll on roof onto of that.. no leaks now.  the shed is sheet rocked and do have outlets everywhere,.. I only have 1 run of power to the shed and about to have a few more.. the AC and laser draw a lot of power and afraid its to much for 1 circuit.. this was my first real build of anything like this and made mistakes along the way but it does work

shed-3.jp2 shed-1.jp2 shed-2.jp2 shed-4.jp2

7 hours ago, Hildebrand said:

For several of the bench mounted tools, maybe look at some of the stands that have 3 surfaces to mount tools on and they rotate around and lock in place.  That way you are able to use 3 tools but only taking the floor space for 1.

Todd

I saw a french cleat mounted on the bench top that allowed you to slide things in and out but I didn't like having that on the surface of the bench.. I was thinking of adding a trailer hit mount under the bench to allow me to do that same thing but wasn't sure if it would wobble.. Harbor Freight has these for like $30..  image.thumb.png.c9b113c04943b63c62c498f49dd5db9e.png

Oof! I wish I had the problems you all have with how to solve your shed space issue .... I'm on my kitchen table in me living room. :)

^ wasn't trying to offend anyone. Shed/room = someday I'll get there too.:) 

1 hour ago, NatesLeatherGds said:

^ wasn't trying to offend anyone. Shed/room = someday I'll get there too.:) 

I was in my son's room that freed up when he moved out until the wife said it all had to go.. I built my own shop and wish it was bigggggger