BigDogPaul1962

Price Comparison: Fiebing's Neatsfoot Oil

I don't know if this will be useful for anyone else but I sure hope so. I'm a broke dude so I have to watch my expenditures very closely and this is something I usually do for myself before I buy anything. I'm hoping someone else will find it useful. I'm VERY OPEN to feedback of any sort.

20240407 Neatsfoot Oil Comparison.ods

Edited by BigDogPaul1962
Typos

1 hour ago, BigDogPaul1962 said:

I'm a broke dude so I have to watch my expenditures very closely and this is something I usually do for myself before I buy anything

Thank you for the comparison it is helpful and shows it pays to shop around. You maybe a "broke dude" but I'm a cheap "old geezer". Why pay more for the same item particularly these days.

kgg 

I really hate it when Walmart is the low price leader. But the gallon is a pretty kickin' deal. Now, if only I used it ... :)

Out of curiosity, I looked at my local Tractor Supply (Walmart for rural people) and they show a gallon in stock for 30 bucks.  Maybe I should try it out.

Screenshot from 2024-04-17 17-57-07.png

Edited by AlZilla

@AlZilla,

Just an FYI.  Pure Neatsfoot oil and Neatsfoot oil compound are two different things.  I only use the pure NFO.  JM2C,  Jim

21 minutes ago, jrdunn said:

@AlZilla,

Just an FYI.  Pure Neatsfoot oil and Neatsfoot oil compound are two different things.  I only use the pure NFO.  JM2C,  Jim

OK, I wondered if it was something like that.  Good, so I don't have to be impressed with Tractor Supply!

Thanks for the clarification.

33 minutes ago, jrdunn said:

@AlZilla,

What he said is right on the money . . . no compound for me either . . . I saw the formula one time . . . don't recall the ingredients . . . but I voted against it.

May God bless,

Dwight

The Stohlmans mention in their Encyclopedia of Saddle Making that they used lots of neatsfoot compound to good effect, but they acknowledge that pure neatsfoot oil is a better product without explanation.  Anybody have an explanation?  Waterproofing products typically contain silicon oils that I believe are also petroleum based.  I use Saddle Oil, Golden Mink Oil, and Sno Seal on work boots.  Pure neatsfoot oil on tack.  

Neatsfoot oil compound seems to be a mix of neatsfoot oil and mineral oils of different types, from the MSDS, not silicones, as many people online seem to insist.

Others say it has lanolin and mink oil, both more expensive than pure neatsfoot oil. If it were these two ingredients, the price of Neatsfoot oil compound would be higher than pure Neatsfoot oil, which it is not.

Mineral oils and other petroleum  derivatives are much cheaper than Neatsfoot oil and bring down the price. I suspect it is as simple as that. 

I was in the NFO Compound = bad. But having it in our oils test and getting nothing bad results I'm of a different mind

Oils start a good healthy discussion whenever they pop up. At one time neatsfoot was only from lower legs of cattle. Due war-time shortages the specs were relaxed and animal fats were allowed. Cold pressed hog lard oil seems To be the common lore. So this pure NF oil may not be what is is 100 years ago. Compound is a blend - might be vegetable or mineral oil blended with some level of animal origin oil. The major players have a fixed formula and should be more reliable batch to batch than grabbing a generic compound from a seller one time and another seller next time. Several makers use compound, pure only, olive oil, generic vegetable oils, etc. you seem to find the combination of whatever oil with whatever tannage you are using and stick with it. 

@fredk I agree.

@bruce johnson that's true.

I am  beginning to think that oils from recent organic sources - animal and plant oils - penetrate better and therefore give better lubrication, while extracts from long ago organic sources - fossil fuel derivatives -  remain more on the surface - ergo the smooth texture, uniform color and water resistance. Differences in organic structure probably. I have forgotten much of my organic chemistry. An organic chemist here might be able to give a better insight.

I might be wrong about this as well, so if anyone knows, please correct me. 

Edited by SUP

From the books I've read, my personal experience and as well my recent samples bear some proof Thin oils, no matter what kind are used to soften and condition the leather because they can flow more easily through the leather, heavier greases and waxes are more for water resistance, protection from the elements and such That's why we add a bit of NFO or whatever oil after we finish working then after that any other heavier greases or waxes depending on the intended use of the product. Boots for example are treated differently than a purse. A purse may need more nfo, mink, mineral or lighter oils  to soften it and make it pliable while boots need less of those and more water proofing. 

Leather hasn't changed and the products used on them haven't changed, just the way they are sold and who sells them.  The leather doesn't care which you use and the oils are even more uninterested.

Back on topic lol. I'm both a broke dude and a cheap old geezer, but feibings nfo products are all that are sold in my lil town so that's what I buy. 

26 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

Leather hasn't changed and the products used on them haven't changed, just the way they are sold and who sells them.  The leather doesn't care which you use and the oils are even more uninterested.

But they have. In the 21st century products have changed so much even in the last 25 - 30 years. Good companies are constantly improving their products, altering what they contain

What @fredk says is so true. 

Besides, earlier it was just a matter of what people knew in their own locality and shared with each other. Now, we get knowledge from around the world.  They undoubtedly use other products as well, do things in other ways. There is so much to learn, so much more to know.

15 hours ago, fredk said:

But they have. In the 21st century products have changed so much even in the last 25 - 30 years. Good companies are constantly improving their products, altering what they contain

I disagree and ask for some proof on that. . They are still combinations of the same old oils. greases and waxes. with a few new buzz words added of course. Your testing them as we speak, how many of the oils you are testing were not around in the 20th century? Name one that any of us aren't testing that wasn't around in the 20th century. 

@BigDogPaul1962 that is a really good comparison of prices that you have done. Thank you for sharing that.  I usually go to Tractor Supply Co. and did not realize that  Walmart is often cheaper. Now, I will not feel comfortable buying anything without making a similar comparison! LOL.

14 hours ago, SUP said:

Besides, earlier it was just a matter of what people knew in their own locality and shared with each other. Now, we get knowledge from around the world.  They undoubtedly use other products as well, do things in other ways. There is so much to learn, so much more to know.

What @fredk says is so true.  

Any proof in that? show me an oil that wasn't in existence in the 20 th. century.

"what people knew in their own locality and shared with each other. Now, we get knowledge from around the world."

How are these two conditions different in any way? lol. we've been sharing info for thousands of years. 

Appreciate the OP's extensive research and price comparisons...most helpful!  

I'm still working thru my current jug of local Tractor Supply-acquired Fiebing's 100% NFO...this post prompted me to do some shopping/price comparison of my own...came across this on one of BigDogPaul's online sources (Amazon):

image.png

Might give the smaller jug a try next to see how it works out...

Edited by Double Daddy

@Double Daddy, this is a good find.

These days I find that often, Amazon does not always have the lowest prices. If it is a couple of dollars difference, I consider it a convenience tax!  LOL

Edited by SUP

@Double Daddy thank you. :)

On 4/17/2024 at 1:01 PM, kgg said:

Thank you for the comparison it is helpful and shows it pays to shop around. You maybe a "broke dude" but I'm a cheap "old geezer". Why pay more for the same item particularly these days.

kgg 

I couldn't agree more. I'm g;ad you took a look. I have a couple more comparisons coming...

On 4/17/2024 at 4:50 PM, AlZilla said:

I really hate it when Walmart is the low price leader. But the gallon is a pretty kickin' deal. Now, if only I used it ... :)

Out of curiosity, I looked at my local Tractor Supply (Walmart for rural people) and they show a gallon in stock for 30 bucks.  Maybe I should try it out.

Screenshot from 2024-04-17 17-57-07.png

That would certainly be the best price around. When I checked them it looks like they were only offering the 32oz for shipping. So, if you can pop in and grab one locally you're ahead of the game!

UPDATE: I didn't notice it was the compound. That's why it wasn't included in my comparison.

Edited by BigDogPaul1962
Updated Information

On 4/17/2024 at 8:48 PM, jrdunn said:

@AlZilla,

Yes, I was aware of that. Did I make a mistake somewhere? It's certainly possible but I was on alert for it. I'm only interested in the 100% Pure and as I recall the compound is a much lower price. If I did make a mistake in my pricing, please let me know so I can correct it. I appreciate your feedback!

On 4/19/2024 at 7:08 AM, SUP said:

@BigDogPaul1962 that is a really good comparison of prices that you have done. Thank you for sharing that.  I usually go to Tractor Supply Co. and did not realize that  Walmart is often cheaper. Now, I will not feel comfortable buying anything without making a similar comparison! LOL.

Hey, thanks for your kind words. I'm going to post another one or two comparisons so I hope you find them.