toxo

The things that make this job easier!

I found the same machine, Toxo, $120 on sale which is pretty good BUT the belts are an odd size and I could only find one seller on Aliexpress. So not such a good deal......

3 minutes ago, dikman said:

I found the same machine, Toxo, $120 on sale which is pretty good BUT the belts are an odd size and I could only find one seller on Aliexpress. So not such a good deal......

I don't remember paying anything like that price. Maybe my belts are thinner?

3 hours ago, dikman said:

Don't remember having trouble finding the belts but I also have a box of these that I can make belts from.

LYFJXX Emery Cloth Roll, 6 Grits Abrasive Sand Paper Roll for Woodworking, 80 150 240 320 400 600 Grit Sandpaper for Metal, Each Roll 8 Meters : Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

16 hours ago, toxo said:

I don't remember paying anything like that price. Maybe my belts are thinner?

Inflation, my friend! It still intrigues me, being variable speed and portable.

A helpful clamp design.

IMG_5113.jpeg

On 5/11/2024 at 11:59 PM, dikman said:

Inflation, my friend! It still intrigues me, being variable speed and portable.

For me it's the ability to run two different grades or more importantly for me is the possibility of burnishing easily and quickly. At the moment I  have a couple layers of felt giving partial results. More experiments needed, maybe a canvas belt, maybe a leather belt flesh side out.

20 minutes ago, toxo said:

At the moment I  have a couple layers of felt giving partial results.

If you purchased a standard sanding belt that fits your machine, could you then machine stitch several layers of felt around the top surface of the belt using a stitch line near each edge? Or, stitch the length of felt layers and use contact cement to adhere it to the sanding belt? 

12 hours ago, TomWilson said:

If you purchased a standard sanding belt that fits your machine, could you then machine stitch several layers of felt around the top surface of the belt using a stitch line near each edge? Or, stitch the length of felt layers and use contact cement to adhere it to the sanding belt? 

That's what I've done Tom,  just glued 3 layers of felt onto a sanding belt but it was an experiment that could be better. What I hope to achieve eventually is enough soft layers with the top layer being something like canvas or denim so I can put some compound on it so I can sink an edge into it and take the corners off and burnish to a shine all in one go.