p40whk

Wait for used or buy new Consew 206RB?

I've been looking for a used Sewing machine that I can use for both upholstery and leatherwork and the Consew 206RB seems to be the most popular machine from the research I've done here. I'm not near a major metropolitan city so finding used would require a 4 hour drive at least and that's if one comes available. Everything I've seen on the used market is running $800 and up and I'd have to spend some $$ to get the machine to where I'd like it. A new 206RB-5 would cost me about $2K shipped and setup with what I need.

Should a continue my search for used and wait for a unit made in Japan or spend the extra money on the RB-5?

Should I consider any other machines? (I will probably not sew anything over 3/8" thick primarily making bags and hats and at the most 3 layers of 7oz veg tan)

I was going to call Toledo Industrial Tuesday to see what they had in stock (both used and new) but are there any other recommended vendors?

Thanks for your time.

46 minutes ago, p40whk said:

Should I consider any other machines?

primarily making bags and hats and at the most 3 layers of 7oz veg tan

The Consew RB5 is a flatbed machine suited primarily for flat items, think of wallets. When doing items being of circular design like bags and hats this style of machine would not be my first choice. I would suggest looking for a cylinder bed machine like a Juki LS-1341(new) or an older Juki LS-341. There are many similar clones of the Juki LS series of machines that are much more reasonably priced. To name a few examples would be the Cowboy CB341, Cobra Class 26, Techsew 2750, Kobe LS-1341. The advantage of the cylinder arm machine is that you can turn it into a flatbed for items best sewn by a flatbed by installing a simple flatbed attachment.

I will probably not sew anything over 3/8" thick

The Consew RB5 and the 341 class of machines are rated to sew about 3/8" thick and three layers of 7 oz leather is really close to that mark as per the leather thickness chart ( https://www.weaverleathersupply.com/pages/leather-thickness ). Also another factor is the size of thread you want to use,  the Consew RB5 as well as the Class 341/ 1341can handle V138 and some can handle V207 thread. If you are going to be sewing at or close to the max rated thickness or thicker thread then V207 of the machine rating you probably want to consider moving up to a Juki  TSC 441 machine or Class 441 clone. Another option for thicker items and thicker thread are the un-motoized one armed bandits by Cowboy, Tippman and Weaver.

Buy Once, Cry Once

kgg

Not mine but I just saw it.  Seems like a good price to me but not near you.  Just an FYI.  Jim

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2003882483361638/?ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3A789888c3-eda5-4b2a-a73c-c26b3b0313b4

Edited by jrdunn
To include link

@kgg Thanks you for the info! Leather work would be a secondary use for the machine but I get the "buy once, cry once" idea. I'll start looking for a cylinder bed machine, there are a couple of Adlers near me but one is a bit out of my price range https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1124346508889397/ and this one may be way more than I need https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/722330700007923/

I'll look into the Juki's you mentioned as well. There's another Adler close to me but it's a flat bed machine, don't know much about this model but the price is right https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/828243542059689/

@jrdunn I may have to see if I can find someone in Texas that could pick that up for me, thanks!

Had one since 1976, all the way up to 206rb5. No issues on any. However had 2 instances on 206rb5 where dealers asked me to try repair.  The  problem was thread jamming. The clearances on the hook where to tight. I recommend any Seiko japanese version. Look for minimum wear on paint on footbed.  the maximum lifting height may need to be adjusted for leather.

15 hours ago, kgg said:

The Consew RB5 is a flatbed machine suited primarily for flat items, think of wallets. When doing items being of circular design like bags and hats this style of machine would not be my first choice. I would suggest looking for a cylinder bed machine like a Juki LS-1341(new) or an older Juki LS-341. There are many similar clones of the Juki LS series of machines that are much more reasonably priced. To name a few examples would be the Cowboy CB341, Cobra Class 26, Techsew 2750, Kobe LS-1341. The advantage of the cylinder arm machine is that you can turn it into a flatbed for items best sewn by a flatbed by installing a simple flatbed attachment.

The Consew RB5 and the 341 class of machines are rated to sew about 3/8" thick and three layers of 7 oz leather is really close to that mark as per the leather thickness chart ( https://www.weaverleathersupply.com/pages/leather-thickness ). Also another factor is the size of thread you want to use,  the Consew RB5 as well as the Class 341/ 1341can handle V138 and some can handle V207 thread. If you are going to be sewing at or close to the max rated thickness or thicker thread then V207 of the machine rating you probably want to consider moving up to a Juki  TSC 441 machine or Class 441 clone. Another option for thicker items and thicker thread are the un-motoized one armed bandits by Cowboy, Tippman and Weaver.

Buy Once, Cry Once

kgg

I agree 100% with your post.

Ferg

19 hours ago, p40whk said:

I've been looking for a used Sewing machine that I can use for both upholstery and leatherwork

I consider these two jobs to be on opposite ends of a spectrum. While your upholstery will often be with thin leather, it will more likely be with synthetics of some construction. If you sew large seat cushions, banners, tarps, tents, Bimini covers, etc, you'll want a compound feed walking foot machine with an extra large bobbin, AND is rated for continuous high speed sewing of about 2000 stitches per minute. This rating can be lowered if time doesn't equal money in your plans. I know that when I sew long seams in seating, I turn the speed dial on full and floor it! The work starts to smoke about about 15 spi, so I run the thread though liquid silicon lube for those high speed jobs.

On the other hand, when I sew leather that is not upholstery, I slow down the motor to a more controllable speed. Sewing very fast on leather makes the needle red hot and smoke comes out at about 15 stitches per second. It can even melt the thread!

The same machine can do both jobs if it is rated for 2000 or more stitches per second, has a large bobbin and is in excellent physical working condition. A used upholstery machine might be shot by the time the current owner sells it. They're rode hard and put up wet. I've found that out the hard way. OTOH, if you buy a brand new machine, with the proper ratings, from an authorized dealer, you should get a lifetime of service out of it. Plus, if something goes wrong, you'll probably get free tech support from the dealer.

Thanks @Wizcrafts, I'm not looking at the machine as a business purchase. I'm retired and do my leatherwork as a hobby and have always hand sewed everything. I have two projects that are driving me towards purchasing an industrial machine (a 22' X 25' shade sail and outdoor cushions for an outdoor kitchen I'm building, all synthetic material with the shade sail being the thickest stuff). Having a machine I can sew leather projects with is the bonus that makes the purchase easier to stomach.

Most of the leather work I do is bags and hats (Tony's DieselpunkRo patterns) and some of my own designs along the same vein. So I wouldn't need a super heavy duty machine, just something that would work for both projects and I'm hoping the Cobra Class 26 or the Cowboy CB341 would do that. It's one of the reasons I was looking at the Consew 206RB when I started doing this research.

Unfortunately I've found through a lot of the advice I've gotten here, there is no "one size fits all" machine it's just defining the "one size fits most" that I'm having trouble with.

4 hours ago, p40whk said:

I was looking at the Consew 206RB when I started doing this research

The Consew 206-RB5 is an excellent walking foot machine. It's just one step below the Juki DNU-1541.