kgg

Table Top Questions for Cylinder Arm Machines

When it comes to table top attachments I have couple of questions:

1. How deep does the table top really need to be from the front edge to the rear edge?

2. How wide does it really need to be from the needle to the left outside edge?

3. What do you use the table top for?

4. What accessories like guides / binders / etc if any do you use with the table top?

5. What class of machine do you use it on Class 341, Class 441?

Hoping for some good discussion / experience.

kgg

Edited by kgg

I got the Cobra class 4 & the Cobra class 26 sewing machines. I bought the table tops for both machines, just because it's the thing to do Right? 

I have used the class 4 table top for belts & rifle slings, but it probably really was not needed. 

I can get you measurements for both table tops if that is what you need. 

I think the reason for me, buying the table tops was for piece of mind. I have them if needed. 

I am actually wanting to set both machines up for edge binding. Again piece of mind thing for me. 

1 hour ago, DieselTech said:

I am actually wanting to set both machines up for edge binding. Again piece of mind thing for me. 

Are you planning on using 90 degree or inline binders???

kgg

48 minutes ago, kgg said:

Are you planning on using 90 degree or inline binders???

kgg

I want a synchronizing 90° binder, but they are are about $700-$900 I believe for the 441 or 341 sewing machines.

I ordered a swing away binder setup, that I am going to try & adapt to 1 of my machines for now. 

Edited by DieselTech

I have table top attachments for my Cowboy cb4500 and Techsew 2700. I rarely ever use them. But, when I do it's because I'm sewing something that must lay flat. With that in mind, 12 inches is about the minimum width I'd find useful and 15 or 16 is closer to an actual industrial table width, which is 20 inches front to back. Since both of these table tops are in my shop, I'll measure them later and post the results.

About two years ago I ordered a CB4500 with a table attachment.  The table is still in the cardboard, so I don't think I'm much help.  I do like my CB4500, though.  JM2C, Jim

My  4500 came with one as a group of accessories. 

I like it for just about every thing I do . . . which mostly is belts, holsters, knife sheaths . . . and a very occasional billfold.

I spent a couple hours making mine quicker and easier to take off and put back on with a couple of 3/8 inch wing nuts . . . 

I use it most of the time.

May God bless,

Dwight

Here is a Cobra class 26 flatbed attachment & some dimensions. 

I had to get it setup, soo I figure I would throw some pics up. 

php1Sw8X5PM.jpg

php4O6apyPM.jpg

Here is a Cobra class 4 441 class machine with flatbed attachment. 

Threw up some pics with dimensions.

phpP0le1JPM.jpg

php5SQB8tPM.jpg

Finally got around to making a table for the wife. She loves it. Fits all my flat plates and stout. It will probably stay on 95% of the time. 2 screws and it's off. Been racking my brain for a year for a good set-up. This is too simple. The main thig for her is having a flat place to sew on. Not sure about having a fence and engraved lines for I don't no if we would need them. 

8.00 X 7.5 X .375 THICK TABLE.jpg

Very nice solution, Patrick. How about a couple of photos of the underside and how it fits? I've been pondering making something but it started getting too complicated (and big!).

48 minutes ago, Patrick1 said:

Finally got around to making a table for the wife. She loves it. Fits all my flat plates and stout. It will probably stay on 95% of the time. 2 screws and it's off. Been racking my brain for a year for a good set-up. This is too simple. The main thig for her is having a flat place to sew on. Not sure about having a fence and engraved lines for I don't no if we would need them. 

8.00 X 7.5 X .375 THICK TABLE.jpg

Nice work! When are you going to put them in production. I would like to purchase 1.

Looks great! 

1 hour ago, Patrick1 said:

he main thig for her is having a flat place to sew on.

Very nicely done.

kgg

The aluminum table that tecsew sells should fit on any of the other 441 clones 

I didn't realize Techsew sold an aluminum flatbed attachment for the 441. I don't think they fit the flat plates. Works with round plates too, but you end up with that gap at the plate. My table is 3/8 thick aluminum vs 1/4 inch. Pretty stout and no movement. Won't be able to sell any until after Oct 30, waiting on a shipment of screws. Not everyone sells 11/64-40 screws. The best part is 95 bucks plus shipping.

39 minutes ago, Patrick1 said:

I didn't realize Techsew sold an aluminum flatbed attachment for the 441. I don't think they fit the flat plates. Works with round plates too, but you end up with that gap at the plate. My table is 3/8 thick aluminum vs 1/4 inch. Pretty stout and no movement. Won't be able to sell any until after Oct 30, waiting on a shipment of screws. Not everyone sells 11/64-40 screws. The best part is 95 bucks plus shipping.

Patrick1 what dimensions is your table top you designed & fabricated? 12" wide x14" long. Am I anywhere close. 

Pencil me down for 1 when they are available. 

Thanks. 

Plate size is 3/8 thick X 8.00 X 7.50 of an inch. Plenty of surface area for sewing vs all that real estate with a slot down the middle.

1 hour ago, Patrick1 said:

Plate size is 3/8 thick X 8.00 X 7.50 of an inch. Plenty of surface area for sewing vs all that real estate with a slot down the middle.

Thanks. 

Here is my take of a mini nose table I designed about three years back for a Kobe LS-1341 machine and it's recently revamped version. The photo's are of it installed on a Class 341 Juki clone the Techsew 2750 Pro. This was designed using an autocad program and 3D printed using 3D870 filament.

For these photo's I installed:

1) The table top to the cylinder arm by one bolt on the front, the red colored bolt, and a second bolt on the backside. A third bolt could be installed on the front as well.

2) A 1" raw edge binder to a swing-way attachment and bolt the swing-away to the table top. The two red colored bolts that hold the swing-away to the table top are screwed into brass knurled nuts embedded into the the table top. The swing-away that I like has an adjustable stop that bumps up against the front edge of the binders head. Most of the ones you see don't have this additional bar or the ability to install one.

The features I needed for my needs.
Table top:

1. Has to be very simple and quick to install or remove. Installation / removal of two bolts.

2. No flexing of table top. Surface area 5" deep x 5" from center of needle to the left.

3. No oxidation. I have a aluminum table attachment which requires periodic cleaning to remove the oxidation.

4. Super slick surface table top surface.

5. Table top has to accommodate all off the shelf inexpensive flatbed attachments that would be used on any standard industrial flatbed machines like binders/ edge guides / flat folders / hemmers etc.

Binding:
1) Horizontal flat webbing/binding tape holder:

i. Use standard flat webbing/binding tape or left over ends from small runs.

ii. The standard webbing/binding horizontal tape holder has to be simple and quick to install or remove. Installation / removal done by tightening / loosening of one bolt.

2) Webbing / Binding tape Guide:

i. The webbing tape guide cup has to be simple, quick to install or remove and fit all industrial sewing machine table tops. Tightening / loosening done with two bolts.

ii. The webbing tape guide cup able to handle up to 2+" tape on the exterior when used with the horizontal tape holder or on the interior bobbin for small runs.

iii. The cup's internal bobbin be able to be manually filled or removed then filled by the sewing machines bobbin winder and self adjusting for the width of the tape.

kgg

tech1.jpg

tech2.jpg

tech3.jpg

tech4.jpg

Capture 1.JPG

Very nice Keith.

When I bought my 1341 & 441 recently they came with 1/4" aluminum bolt-on table tops. I painted these as the oxidation would transfer to the work pieces.  High humidity here poses challenges and better options than naked aluminum are required.

I have not yet used the top on the 441 yet but the other on the 1341 sees much use when I am sewing on purses and bags. Being a bolt-on it is a pita as I too often need to use the cylinder arm alone, with or without the swing-away edge binder. I have been pondering a better method as my edge binder bolts to the same holes as the table top. My machine does not have the mounting point on the front that your 2750 has but it is cast iron so careful planning and execution can create those. I like the idea of using a binder attachment that is mounted on the removable table top as this is cleaner than the swing-away I have. I sense some Fusion 360 and 3D printing in my future...

39 minutes ago, CdK said:

I sense some Fusion 360 and 3D printing in my future...

Necessity is the mother of invention. Let those creative juices run.

kgg

@Patrick1 I'd like to have a slide-on/bolt-under flat table attachment for my Adler 30-7 patcher. I sometimes have to sew patches on the back of vests that have a zip open lining that must be preserved. An small flat table would support the patch areas better than the narrow arm does, keeping everything aligned.

Looks like it's back to the drawing (thinking) board for me. While Patrick's table is a reasonable price in the US the exchange rate for our dollar is pretty pathetic, plus shipping rates from the US have skyrocketed in the last couple of years so it's not a viable option.

5 hours ago, dikman said:

Looks like it's back to the drawing (thinking) board for me. While Patrick's table is a reasonable price in the US the exchange rate for our dollar is pretty pathetic, plus shipping rates from the US have skyrocketed in the last couple of years so it's not a viable option.

Just checking if you know the dealers here make a stainless steel plate one that is not all that expensive. I could print you up a good one but I doubt it would be much cheaper.

I have a Cobra 2915 patch stitcher that I use,  I made a table top to use so I can still use it to do pockets and sleeves . The table was constructed to take the weight off the working area that I'm working on.

post pic later