TracyMoss

Who is the Best?

I must have been asked this question a hundred times from questioning tire kickers asking who I thought was the best and what they get for THEIR saddles. I once met a boot maker in San Angelo, TX who had a sign in his store and on his business cards as well the slogan, WORST BOOT MAKER IN TEXAS. People would ask him why he put that on there and he would say everyone else is claiming the title of the best, so it couldn't possibly be him. SO he decided he would be the worst and no one would try to take his title away. I kind of stole his idea and tell people that I am at best the average, so when they ask who is the best I simply tell them: Well, everyone else of course.

Just thought I would share a little story and maybe get some stories going.

I love it. Ok stories.

Now this one is not leather related. I used to live near a man who made blinds and awnings. He had a big sign on the back of his van that had nothing else but A blind man drives this van.

My old master always said that the apprentice should turn out better than the master. The master teaches as much as possible and the apprentice then spends the rest of their working life developing their own style.

I used to be a Drill Instructor. My fellow instructors wanted to get T-shirts made up that said

I Drilled your daughter (they were banned).

Barra

I love it. Ok stories.

Now this one is not leather related. I used to live near a man who made blinds and awnings. He had a big sign on the back of his van that had nothing else but A blind man drives this van.

My old master always said that the apprentice should turn out better than the master. The master teaches as much as possible and the apprentice then spends the rest of their working life developing their own style.

I used to be a Drill Instructor. My fellow instructors wanted to get T-shirts made up that said

I Drilled your daughter (they were banned).

Barra

I love the shirt idea! How about the septic service dude whose business card read; Your shit is my bread and butter.

I love the shirt idea! How about the septic service dude whose business card read; Your shit is my bread and butter.

I've always liked "IF THE TEACHER HASN'T TAUGHT

THE PUPIL HASN'T LEARNED."'

Edited by Luke Hatley

well, after doing bike rallies for quite a few years i always get the berage of the same questions. when I go to shows i use an old 29-4 with no motor its a tredle and an old anker its just like any old singer. well this is the questions i get--do you sew patches on? (no i just hauling these machines around to hold my canapy down. thats what id like to say anyhow lol) I also have about 600+ patches hanging around in my booth for sale so dah more than likely I sew them on to. Do you sew on leather?(this question is asked as Im sewing a patch on a leather) Are those machines old? (im like ya one dont even have a motor on it) How old are those machines(lot older than me). well people will ask me to if i can fix anything I go if it can fit under my foot of my machine I can probably fix it. but I do have a sign on my machine at shows which has been a joke now it says "just cant fix stupid" and everyone gets a kick out of that and of course i get harassed about to lol. its all in fun most come into the booth just to listen to my conversations with customers lol. the comments after the questions is whats going on in my head. the answers id really like to give. but i just smile n answer them. I should blow up after the 50th time they are asked but i have lots of patience.

I just saw a good addition to this. It was a septic tank pumper that had a sign on the back reading,

Caution This Truck Contains Political Promises!

well, after doing bike rallies for quite a few years i always get the berage of the same questions. when I go to shows i use an old 29-4 with no motor its a tredle and an old anker its just like any old singer. well this is the questions i get--do you sew patches on? (no i just hauling these machines around to hold my canapy down. thats what id like to say anyhow lol) I also have about 600+ patches hanging around in my booth for sale so dah more than likely I sew them on to. Do you sew on leather?(this question is asked as Im sewing a patch on a leather) Are those machines old? (im like ya one dont even have a motor on it) How old are those machines(lot older than me). well people will ask me to if i can fix anything I go if it can fit under my foot of my machine I can probably fix it. but I do have a sign on my machine at shows which has been a joke now it says "just cant fix stupid" and everyone gets a kick out of that and of course i get harassed about to lol. its all in fun most come into the booth just to listen to my conversations with customers lol. the comments after the questions is whats going on in my head. the answers id really like to give. but i just smile n answer them. I should blow up after the 50th time they are asked but i have lots of patience.

HERE'S YOUR SIGN

I met a saddle maker some years back who had on the back of a few select business cards "If you don't like the prices of this establishment, bring in your wife and we can dicker"

(it's been years since I have seen the card so I'm not sure if I got the quote exactly right)

He also had another very good quote on the back of his regular cards about hay and oats but I can't remember it.

:horse: When I was on the road back in the '80s, I came up behind a truck hauling horses in a trailer. The sign on the trailer read...

"Don't be what you're looking at!" :w00t:

Edited by whinewine

Steve the first was " If you think the prices are too high in this establishment, bring your wife in and we'll dicker." The second one which was on the back of all my cards was "Quality is like buying oats. If you want good clean oats you must pay a fair price, however if you are satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse. Well, they are a little cheaper." Greg

Ok with signs and such.....I grew up in Dayton, Ohio where we had a dentist....Honest, his name was Dr. Payne!.....mmmm don't think I would be a patient of his!.

Also how about a stock broker partnership named.....Plunkett, Downe and Hope?

There's an honest broker for sure.

Dave

A sign up in your shop saying

Free leathergoods to the value of $1000 given away tomorrow

(The sign is always up).

Barra

Edited by barra

ok, I gotta add to this one...

My wife and I were going to our bank the other day. I noticed the building next to the bank was for a proctologist. The sign above the door read: "Rear Entrance".

Ok with signs and such.....I grew up in Dayton, Ohio where we had a dentist....Honest, his name was Dr. Payne!.....mmmm don't think I would be a patient of his!.

Also how about a stock broker partnership named.....Plunkett, Downe and Hope?

There's an honest broker for sure.

Dave

There is a gynocologist (sp?) in our town named Dr. Grab (really!).

In Kane, PA, back in the '80s, there used to be a veterinarian named Dr. Lammie.

What do you call a Jamacian proctologist?... a pokemon :lol:

I was talking to a farmer last summer and the only thing on his shirt in very,very small print was "Nosey little %$#er aren't you". He just about wet himself laughing when he caught me trying to read it.

There was a veterinary textbook published with one of the authors as Dr. Blood. Honest. I personally have known a Dr. Cartilege, though the spelling was different from the tissue. I also know of vets named Dr. Best and Dr. Fair. I wonder how even the workload would have been if they were in practice together with a Dr. Good as well.

In Edmonton there is a major cemetery in the center of the city. There is a small street bordering it with businesses on the other side. The street sits at a bit of an angle so an advertising sign for one of the businesses to the back alley looks like it is pointing to the graveyard. It says "Body Shop".

In Guntersville, Al, there's a little salon called " Curl Up & Dye"

I saw that on TV last night, it must have been on My Name is Earl. When I lived in Sturgis there was an actual Chat & Chew Cafe. Kevin

I once followed a truck hauling caskets. As I began to pass, I noticed a small sign on the truck that read "Drive Safely...Yours might be on this load." I quickly pulled off for fuel and a rest. Keith

In Sydney there was a little stand that sold focaccia. the store was called

HOW THE FOCACCIA

I used to work with a Urologist, Dr. Dickey. Great guy.

One that always appalled me is a place in Rehoboth, MA - "Camp Ramsbottom for Boys and Girls".

When I lived in Santa Clarita, CA, there was a building with two businesses. One side side was a life insurance company, the other sold caskets.

Bill

Chicago Police Homocide Unit: "Our day begins when your's ends."

Chicago Police Narcotics Unit: "If you huff and you puff, we'll blow your door down."

Chicago Police Public Housing Unit:"If we have to come up, your going down."