Monticore

1 simple question

this might seem simple to some of you but how to cut shapes and make them symetrical.

like a bund pad for watch strap or irregular edges but both sides are the same .

same for stitches if i need to lay out an irregular pattern how do i go about it, so i can repeat it .

cory

if my questions makes no sense let me know hehe

Whenever possible, cut or punch shapes out at the same time. If something has to match, fold it if you can. If you are going to make a lot of something, and you want to have a good template to work from, invest the time in making one out of plastic, metal, wood or even heavy cardboard. Templates save time and help you get more consistent results.

Johanna

I also recomend using a heavy cardboard, for most of my patterns I use Bag stiffener that I buy at Tandy in spokane Washington

Compass or wing dividers work well. For circles, I have used glasses, plates, candle holders- whatever is handy.

~J

Don't let Johanna trick you into using all those "girly" things...glasses, plates, candle holders.

Guys will use shotgun shells, beer bottles, and rolls of duct tape!....lol

Don't let Johanna trick you into using all those "girly" things...glasses, plates, candle holders.

I agree but sometimes I have to use my Whiskey glass

If I am trying to make something perfectly symetrical I will draw out half of my pattern on graph paper and then cut that half and fold it over down the center and trace out, This might not be perfect so try to match the lines up on the graph paper on the other side. and then cut and transfer to my pattern paper.

It usually works LOL

That's funny!!!! :NEWFUNNYPOST:

My workroom is littered with stuff I use for patterns - old bean and tomato cans, a couple of wooden coat hangers (great for bag flaps) and even an 8" dog bowl - just use whatever works for you. It doesn't have to come with a label saying 'tool' or 'pattern' LOL

Dog bowls are good for holding casing liquid on the bench. They're designed so our furry mates can't knock them over, even when they're in a hurry for dinner.

Just the thing for a leatherworking fool like me, with a sponge in his hand and other things on his mind :head_hurts_kr:

For patterns, I use whatever's handy. Kitchen's full of round stuff.

I use 'Girly' things :blush: . There, I said it!

Badger

Great idea, Badger, but a fraction too late 'cos I just swooshed water all over the workroom again! The dog bowl is now the casing water bowl but what am I going to use for big sweeping curves now? Doh!

Dog bowls are good for holding casing liquid on the bench. They're designed so our furry mates can't knock them over, even when they're in a hurry for dinner.

I tried Johanna's suggestion of using glasses for circles/curves but it didn't work out so well for me. I couldn't see what I was trying to draw when I took them off to trace them.....

Then again, I have a 'circle template' left over from my engineering days, as well as some other drafting tools.....well, they're leatherworking tools now.

Edited by TwinOaks

Tk and I are on the same page here. Just draw out half, cut it out then fold to get the perfect pattern. use a 45 cent piece of white construction board/paper. just use it to get your basic pattern then transfer it to something a little more durable. good luck and just think simple. sometime we tend to outsmart ourselves to much. James

$.45 piece of paper???!!!!! Hey everybody, 2MadJacks has extra money to throw around!!!!

You can also get rolls of 'craft paper' pretty cheaply- less size limit with that. There might be a few rolls left of that hideous Christmas gift wrapping paper that your significant other bought on clearance, and it's got a white/plain side to it.....

For more durable "master" patterns, I like the plastic pocket folders from wallyworld.

I make all my 'master' patterns from vinyl flooring samples. The stores give away or throw out the old sample books when the new stock comes in. It is good and thick and virtually indestructibile as well as being free! If you 'must' have a big pattern then get a big chunk of scrap flooring and cut it out of that. Easy!

It is also good for making up trial versions of a project as, with a little care, it can be cut, punched, laced, stitched and rivetted just like leather but at zero cost.

I have already taken the glass - beer bottle - plate - whatever and drew around it on a piece of template plastic and cut it out --- bingo one hole template.

also look in the scrapbooking supplies - there are a lot of different circle - oval cutting tools there. Or the quilting department.

I like to get the plastic from the quilting department that has a graph printed on it. A bit expensive, but it makes laying out a pattern easier.

This from the sewing geek - amazing how many of the "techniques" transfer over.......

but for the most part if you want it to match - do the fold and cut. Or look for something with that shape.

$.45 piece of paper???!!!!! Hey everybody, 2MadJacks has extra money to throw around!!!!

You can also get rolls of 'craft paper' pretty cheaply- less size limit with that. There might be a few rolls left of that hideous Christmas gift wrapping paper that your significant other bought on clearance, and it's got a white/plain side to it.....

For more durable "master" patterns, I like the plastic pocket folders from wallyworld.

:eusa_naughty: Now.. why do you want to pick on me? For 45 cents you get a 22"x28" piece of heavy paper/posterboard that will last you if you take care of your patterns. And one sheet will make plenty of small patterns. And yes that old wrapping paper isn't a bad idea for a onetime use. Well anyhow good luck to Monticore

James

I know a holster maker, the guy I bought my first Pearson from, who uses nothing but breakfast cereal packets for his pattern material.

He draws around them with a pencil and cuts the leather out.

Some of his older patterns are 30 years old and still going strong.

Badger

I went to the "DOLLAR STORE" 3 years ago and bought a package of French Curves. Best $1.00 investment I have ever made for leather tools.

pete

I've got a few templates that I made out of 1/8" thick sheets of plexiglass. I cut the curves and lines with a fine-tooth jigsaw, sand them all smooth and draw measuring marks, holes and such on them with a Sharpy. They're great as they are transparent and provide a rigid edge to cut against. I just clamp them down to my leather pieces and have my way with them. (giggles to self at pervy joke) :devil:

-Andy

Well I don't have the spilling of the water thing anymore.

Cause, seeing that I reside with 3 females, it was always very hard to access the place they called the "Powder Room".

Wich, by the way, made me not want to go in there.

So I instaled a "porceline throne" right next to my workbench, in the basement. Not enclosed! So females dare not come close.

No more spills, and I like a fresh bowl!

And I also get surprising golden tints from the leather sometimes. No, no it's not what you think.

It's from the high content of iron and sulfer in the water . :17::rofl:

x ray file make for great templates, it stays nice and flat....unfortunately it is hard to come by unless you know someone in the hospital business....i have about 50 unused xrays lying about....pity i am so far away....i really dont need that many