Crystal

Swan Tutorial Attempt

Hi All-

ClayB did such a nice write up on the swan that he did, I had to give it a try. All the instructions worked! I wasn't brave enough to lift the feathers like he did. I'll try that another time. I haven't colored it yet - (that's the next lesson I'll try to follow).

Swan9b.jpg

Thanks, Clay!!

Crystal

post-6163-1239848768_thumb.jpg

Looks great, Crystal! :You_Rock_Emoticon:

Looks like Clay's tutorial is a success, you did a great job on this one...The swan is awesome:-)

Thanks, Bob and Tina! It was a lot of fun to work on.

Crystal

Very nice work, Crystal. Nice clean lines, and the feather textures are very convincing. Can't wait to see the finish.

Kate

Wow!! that really turned out nice!

great work Crystal.

ken

Your the one Crystal that is fantastic you hit out of the park.

Josh

Crystal,

I think you did a fabulous job on your swan!!

There are a couple things I have to tell everyone about this project. First, Crystal had some sort of phobia of trying to carve hair and feathers. She better be over the feather one. I'll have to work on the hair one next. Second, when Crystal started working on this project, she told me she didn't have the figure carving bevelers, so she improvised and used what she had. They worked out just fine. Then when she got to the feathers, she didn't have the pointed figure beveler that I used to do the tips, so she took out one of her stop tools and a dremel and made herself what she needed. It seems to have worked great too! Along the way, she made a boo boo or two, but that didn't stop her. She did what she needed to do to fix them or cover them up. She also didn't follow my instructions to the letter, but tried some things on her own (like the neck texture) that worked out great.

I have to say Crystal, I am really impressed with the job you have done on this, and so proud of you for tackling something that intimidated you!!

Crystal, you did a great job on the swan. It is beautiful.

ClayB, you did a great job on the tutorial. I will have to try it one day.

I am always amazed at what people do on this site and how willing everyone is to share information.

Joe

Thanks, everyone! I really enjoyed this and hope others give it a try. It's hard to go wrong with step by step instructions.

Clay- I haven't gotten over the feather phobia yet - I still haven't gone at them with a scalpel. Then there is that "hair" thing and add embossing to this list.... painting....

There are a few things that I did that I shouldn't have - tried some other things and got lucky. Still so much to learn. Thanks for taking the time to help me out and for getting the ball rolling on this to begin with. If you hadn't jumped in and done the write up I'd still be looking at this on a piece of paper!

Crystal

Crystal, that is awesome - I'm adding you to my 'Those who inspire you' list. I can't imagine ever reaching your skill level. I'm thinking of starting a 'Those who depress you' list.

WOW Crystal...what a good job! That turned out really well and Clay told us how you improvised where you had to in order to make things work...that's huge! You can be really proud of that! And Clay, congrats on a great tutorial!

Bob

Crystal, that is awesome - I'm adding you to my 'Those who inspire you' list. I can't imagine ever reaching your skill level. I'm thinking of starting a 'Those who depress you' list.

:blush: Thank you, Ian.

I have those lists...I seem to have the same names on both. :)

Crystal

WOW Crystal...what a good job! That turned out really well and Clay told us how you improvised where you had to in order to make things work...that's huge! You can be really proud of that! And Clay, congrats on a great tutorial!

Bob

Thank you, Bob. I figured out how to grind metal - watch out now! ;) (Hubby is running to lock up the tool box.)

Crystal

Crystal,

Outstanding job! :notworthy:

Hopefully it was on a larger scale then your last project. ;)

Johnny

I figured out how to grind metal - watch out now! ;) (Hubby is running to lock up the tool box.)

Oooooo... she's dangerous now! :yeah:

Kate

Crystal,

Outstanding job! :notworthy:

Hopefully it was on a larger scale then your last project. ;)

Johnny

Thanks Johnny! Yes this is larger than usual - it's huge! Pattern is about 10" or so. I might get used to this - not quite as much squinting needed with this size. :)

Crystal

Finally- All done! The coloring tutorial worked as well as the carving instructions. I didn't use quite the same colors as Clay did, but did use what I had in the same way. The white was difficult to get the way I wanted and I needed to go over it a few times. I didn't use the blue for shadowing, I used gray instead and ended up adding a little bit of tan to it.

Swan15.jpg

I need to get a sealer on it, yet.

Thanks Clay!!!

Crystal

post-6163-1240190050_thumb.jpg

Finally- All done! The coloring tutorial worked as well as the carving instructions. I didn't use quite the same colors as Clay did, but did use what I had in the same way. The white was difficult to get the way I wanted and I needed to go over it a few times. I didn't use the blue for shadowing, I used gray instead and ended up adding a little bit of tan to it.

Swan15.jpg

I need to get a sealer on it, yet.

Thanks Clay!!!

Crystal

Congrats Crystal (and Clay for such an excellent tutorial)

You did great girl and that's a piece to be proud about :thumbsup:

Congrats Crystal (and Clay for such an excellent tutorial)

You did great girl and that's a piece to be proud about :thumbsup:

Thanks, Tina! I'm surprised that it came out as well as it did. I'm pretty happy with it.

Crystal

Chrystal,

That is flat out a work of art! I would be proud to own such a thing hand made!

Can you link me to the tutorial that Clay did?

TF

Thanks, TF. This is the link for the painting: http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=15087

And this one if for the carving: http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=15772

Crystal

Chrystal,

That is flat out a work of art! I would be proud to own such a thing hand made!

Can you link me to the tutorial that Clay did?

TF

Clay also has the swan tutorial and other tutorials on his website: http://badlandsleatherart.com/swan%20lesson.html

Crystal

I am blown away thats beautiful

Josh

Crystal....that's spectacular! I think you've done an incredible job and I really like that you made some changes to make it your own style! Now we'll be looking to you for some tutorials! Congratulations!

Bob

:16: .... great job! I'm looking forward to seeing how great it does when you enter it in this weeks show! You are entering it, right? ;)

boB